Kershaw/Onion finger choppers!

Hey Dakota!
Yea, I heard back from Doug Flagg today. He said that he's never heard of anyone cutting themselves on the Onion models! I just about laughed my eyes out! I told him to come to our thread here to see for himself what the truth is. That's the main reason why I rejuvenated this thread, as it was getting lost. I hope he was kidding, because I've talked to quite a few people (besides those on the forum) that had close calls or have been bitten. Doug did say that they are going to release a new model without the torsion bar. I'll be interested in seeing that when its available. Take care!

I thought I was the only one to return the Random Task. I had no trouble with it cutting my finger, just an ergo thing I guess? The trouble I had was that the liner would slip out of lock or right to the edge under pressure. Might not have been the correct angle on the blade end or the spring angle of the lock side of the liner had not enough crimp.Tried lube, but found myself manually pushing it over before cutting hard, have other liner locks without ever this problem, came to the realization, don't need any assistance to open a knife as I have a little wild wild turkey by Kershaw thats smooth,fast, silky and secure. Might be the cam action or spring not sure of the design in the Onion patent.

Hey savman and fishface, You guys got me laughing,on you SPEED-SAFE,blood stories and I'm not being satirical! I had visions of your nightmares as my son reached for the Random Task to check out dads new knife. He's
now been trained in springy flying knife recovery and the fine art of finger loping. AS ALWAYS ENJOY THE HUMOR !! Bart

I have a mini task and the quality is fine. I like the knife but its rather delicate in feel. I guess it a "gentleman's" type knife, small with a delicate type blade. Opening the knife is very intuitive and smooth. No cuts, in fact I can't see this being a problem. Lock up is fine, too. My only concern is that the blade seems so darn delicate. I hope they come out with some diffent blade styles.

I wanted to add another concern to my above post. I think this knife is a switchblade and I think the authorities will see it that way too. So I am somewhat hesitant to make it a daily carry.

Yes my new Christmas gift bite me too..and the clip fell off, it was screwed to the scale instead of the liner.My buddy liked it so much that i gave it to him, with a caution,he promptly cut his thumb..........smile

Want to get back at your boss, or a friend that's been a real jerkie/sizzle-chest lately? Then buy 'em an Onion! They'll think they got a nice gift from you until they open it! SLICE! HEHE! (uuhhh....maybe you shouldn't do that to your boss....???).

I got a mini-task around christmas and was aware of the fact that people were cutting their thumbs.I opened it carefully at first, and now I can open it VERY quickly without having to worry about getting cut.All you have to do is just flick the stud with your thumb in a upward and outward motion ,this keeps your thumb up off of the blade . I have been using it as an everday carry piece for about a month with no problems or lock failures,although it is a "delicate" blade.I must confess though that it did bite a co-worker of mine (I warned him to be careful).I also feel the mini-task has a much better action and feel than the Random Task .Just my $.02

After owning a random task for a week or so now. I really like it. I just have to be aware of what i'm at the time. Have not cut my finger once opening it.
overall i like it.

I've used my Random Task for the past couple of months without cutting my finger. In fact, I don't really understand what the problem is. My thunb only moves approximately 1/4 inch when flicking the blade open and doesn't end up anywhere near the sharpened edge.
A person might lose a finger or two do to lock failure though. Mine fails most of the linerlock tests outlined elsewhere in the forum so this knife is relegated to light duty chores.

Mark me down in the "No problem, no bites" column. On quick flick and its open, I have even practiced opening all the way with the stud, silently. I can say that after using the Onion I have almost cut my self on blade holes and regular studs though! I forget that I have to add that extra movement and find a blade half open.
As a side note, I did have to send my knife to kershaw to have the scales repaired. The pocket clip was loose in 2 weeks and slop in a month. They fixed it and sent it back, I haven't had a problem since it returned(?).
I do like this knife

------------------
>)-RadarMan-(<

I tried it at the knife store and it didn't cut my thumb, but I wasn't too crazy about that sharp edge wizzing by my finger. The edge was definitely brushing my thumb but the edge was going in the non-cutting direction. I prefer to keep my finger ahead of the edge when I open knives.

I wonder if the clerks have become hesitant to let customers try them out, especially if there have been accidents at their store.

Axel

If I may offer one suggestion when opening the Onion-series. Don't move your hand when opening them, just your thumb. This way your thumb does not fallow the stud. I have never been cut by this knife. And I can switch back to a standard thunb stud with little trouble. The liners do look thin, but I have done the spine-whack test on mine. And after two fails, the lock set and it's solid now. But I still would like thicker liners.

I'm happy with mine,
Garrett

------------------
The Bitternes Of Poor Quality Remains Long After The Sweetness Of Low Price Is Forgotten

Back