Kershaw Scallion

I went to Wal-Mart today, to get some school supplies. While browsing the aisles, I came across this little number. My Scallion is black, with a black handle and black coated plain edge blade. My first impressions are:

It's very sharp- paper shaving sharp, in fact.

For such a little knife, it fits big-handed me better than most similar knives.

The thumb stud is pretty much useless when you have the flipper.

I like the recurve, but if you plan to do any chopping (as in chopping onions, not logs) you have to pinch it between your thumb and middle finger and put your index finger on the spine.

The pocket slip is very tight, and rides nice and low in the pocket. One of the gripes I have with my other Kershaw, a Sapphire, is that the pocket clip isn't very tight and it rides too high.

It's US made 420HC, so I think it will do pretty well.

Speedsafe is nice. It takes a little bit longer to close the blade with it, but the way I see it, I need to open blades quickly, not close them.

The liner lock is very sturdy.

Also, I have a question about the Shallot, this knife's big brother. Is the flipper the same size and shape as the flipper on the Scallion?

Jim, glad to hear that you are liking the Scallion! That model is one of my favorite production knives around. For its size, it can't be beat.

The thumb stud is pretty much useless when you have the flipper.

From an opener standpoint, you are mostly correct. However, if you enjoy flicking thumbstuds instead, it is an alternative method of opening to the flipper tab. It could also come in handy if the SpeedSafe somehow goes out on your knife someday. Lastly, the thumbstud serves as a stop pin for the blade, so it does serve another purpose.

The pocket slip is very tight, and rides nice and low in the pocket. One of the gripes I have with my other Kershaw, a Sapphire, is that the pocket clip isn't very tight and it rides too high.

If the pocket clip isn't tight enough on your Sapphire, you could always take it off and bend it down to have more tension. My Sapphire was the same way as you describe when I got it, and it kept falling out of my pocket. I almost lost it about a half dozen times. But after I bent the clip down, it was perfect.

Also, I have a question about the Shallot, this knife's big brother. Is the flipper the same size and shape as the flipper on the Scallion?

This is a question I don't know for sure, since it has been a while since I handled a Shallot, but I would imagine that that flipper tab is about the same size as on the Scallion.

I've handled a shallot before and actually prefer the leek over it. I think the leek is a perfect-sized knife, and IMO, the shallot was a bit big for my liking.

Hey Preston, I just looked at my Scallion and Shallot. The flipper is a little bit bigger on the Shallot. The Shallot is a little bit bigger than the Scallion, so proportionally, they're the same size. Does that make sense? Let me try again...The size relationship of the flipper is the same on both, so the Shallot's flipper is slightly larger since the knife is slightly larger.

The Wal-mart Scallion! I've bought over 50 of them in the past year or so. I give them to customers as gifts! That is a great knife you got! :thumbup:

Thanks, SPX. That makes perfect sense. I might have to pick up a Shallot (3.5" blade is just perfect for me)