1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Kershaw Skyline pocket sheath wallet

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by bizmarkie, Jan 25, 2013.

1. bizmarkie

bizmarkie

Nov 20, 2012
    I built this prototype sheath. It is designed to hold a Kershaw Skyline sheath, a couple credit cards and some cash.
    I applied a rustic/apocalyptic texture and dies it in a dark brown. The idea was to be able to squeeze the sides and the knife slide out. It works fairly well but it is still really new and tight.

Watch the video and let me know what you think and if you have constructive criticism then fire away.

[video=youtube_share;axfbmg7GtTc]http://youtu.be/axfbmg7GtTc[/video]

Thanks! Jay

2. Siper

Siper Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Nicely done sheath, and very useful ;)

3. Willbuyone

Willbuyone

Dec 10, 2012
    I think it is very well done! Looks great! Are you going to sell them?

4. bizmarkie

bizmarkie

Nov 20, 2012
    Thanks for the responses.

Willbuyone-- my real job consists of buying and selling so, it is in my nature. Until I get a makers membership here I do not feel comfortable discussing the sale of these.
    I can say this though, I do intend on getting a makers membership really soon. ;)

I have a question, is it permissible to post this video in the Kershaw section to get those folk's opinion? I've been on forums where you could only post an idea/concept in one area only and you need to select wisely.

5. rayban

rayban

Apr 14, 2007
    Nice concept and good leather work...only thing I can think of I would do is take the pocket clip off to eliminate as much bulk as possible.

6. bizmarkie

bizmarkie

Nov 20, 2012
    The request was to make it so that the sheath would work for the option with or without the clip. If you remove the clip, the sheath works as well as it does with the clip. Just gives the carrier a second option. I am thinking I want to make one without the clip and with the knife the opposite direction. I had to go with the clip up because of the molding. So in this orientation you can not have a lanyard. Flipping it would allow the use of a lanyard, which I personally like and use :)

--Jay

7. BobSig

BobSig

May 6, 2011
    Would it work if the leather didnt cover as much of the knife and the clip went on the out side of the leather? With the top of the skyline showing you could just reach back and draw the knife with out removing the wallet.

8. bizmarkie

bizmarkie

Nov 20, 2012
    BobSig, wure it could be designed to do exactly as you are describing and the molding could have a bit more detail as well.

9. bad_juju

bad_juju Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Looks good. If I hadn't already just bought a new small wallet I'd be all over it!

10. freewheeling

freewheeling

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, two thoughts:

One: Very obviously inspired by pocket holsters for guns like the PM9 and other small carry pocket holsters. Could use 3 separate layers in the card area instead of one with a thin divider in between. Also expose more of the knife at the top for extraction, possibly with a thumb extension for drawing the knife in emergency, like the pocket holsters. In fact, I've been wondering how to carry my P9 and my knife in the same pocket. Well, why not in the same holster/wallet? Kills 3 birds with one stone!

OK, that was more than one, and more than two. Just got on a role...

11. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Back in the 1980's there was a man selling a frontpocket sheath for tactical knives which was similar, he used a material on the exterior which kept the sheath in the pocket when you drew the knife out.

Wish I could get another one, it worked perfectly, and was a great idea. It kept my knife out of sight in areas where I didn't want it seen.

12. bizmarkie

bizmarkie

Nov 20, 2012
    Freewheeling-- the pocket holsters never entered the thinking, at least on my side. I can see how they may be similar though.It covering most of the knife was to provide a firm grip and allow the knife to be presented with a squeeze of the sides. The original concept sheath I was provided pics for was one that looked like a long bali style sheath that was basically a tube with an open end for the knife to go in and out. The molding provides for the retention.

It could be designed to allow most of the knife to be exposed and the molding to be more detailed. It would loose the squeeze deployment and be more of a friction retention. That is next up and I may have an example sometime tomorrow. As far as additional pockets, yes two, or even three pockets could be incorporated on the back, but that would add to bulk in leather and bulkier overall. The idea was for a few cards and cash so that's what I shot for. Actually I could step down to a 2-3 oz and do multiple pockets but the overall length would need to be adjusted. If you see in the video the fit allows just over 3/8" from the top of the cards completely seated to the top of the leather. adding another pocket would require staggering and therefore lengthening the entire piece.

13. ono724

ono724

Jul 17, 2010
    I really like the looks of it. The only downside for me is that I like quick access to my knives, and having to take out the wallet and then take my knife from the wallet is too many many steps for me. Not to mention I can't see it being done one-handed.

Just my two cents

14. bizmarkie

bizmarkie

Nov 20, 2012
    ono- yea, for a rapid access knife sheath, you not getting it with this creation. However, I am working on a version that will allow deployment of the knife much easier and quicker. But again the knife will be inside the pocket. Front or rear you have to reach into the pocket, acquire your hold on the knife then deploy.

15. ultrahesh

ultrahesh

May 24, 2008
    Really cool!! I like it