Kershaw Skyline (with pics)

Fred Sanford

Gold Member
Hey folks,

This baby just came in the mail today. I gotta tell ya, for just under $30 shipped to my door this is a really good deal. I knew it was a small folder but you know how it goes. I was surprised that it was that small. I think I figured the handle would be a little longer. Not sure why. Anyway, the knife is great. It locks up perfectly and I really like it.

It came shaving sharp out of the box and appears to have a saber hollow grind. I like it. The blade looks about 2mm thick. It's very nice. I can't get the flipper to open the blade completely but I think that after about 50 openings it will be fine. There is no blade play in any direction at all. Very nice knife.

I'll be carrying it for a week to see how I like it and how it performs. I'll post back after a while with more thoughts.

I put in my Spyderco UK Pen Knife in foliage green for comparison. The UKPK is the same size as a Caly 3 give or take a millimeter or two. :)

The only beef I have with the knife is that the clip being so short and thick doesn't have much give. That puppy keeps the knife tight on your pocket. I may remove the clip and bend it slightly. Not sure yet.

Enjoy the pics.

KershawSkyline5.jpg

KershawSkyline6.jpg

KershawSkyline4.jpg

KershawSkyline7.jpg

KershawSkyline.jpg

KershawSkyline1.jpg

KershawSkyline2.jpg

KershawSkyline3.jpg

Last edited:

powernoodle

Power Member
I agree with your assessment. Its one of the best values out there. Mine was $37 shipped off of ebay, so where did you get one for $30 shipped? I don't think mine will ever completely flip open, but I can get it halfway open with the flipper and then flick it or use the thumbstud for the rest.:thumbup:

I agree with your assessment. Its one of the best values out there. Mine was $37 shipped off of ebay, so where did you get one for $30 shipped? I don't think mine will ever completely flip open, but I can get it halfway open with the flipper and then flick it or use the thumbstud for the rest.:thumbup:

give it time. either your finger will get stronger, your knife will break in.....or both :)

2 things about the flipping:

1) a little tuffglide stright into the back of the pivot helps alot. A full tear down, polish and lube works wonders.
2) this knife is what I consider a technique flipper, meaning, it only fully opens with correct technique. Load the flipper at the top, this knife has a strong detent, once that is overcome it shoots open like a rocket. Work with it a while. If you don't you will be missing out on what is IMO the sweetest flipping production at any price point.

I love the Skyline.....just one thing that bugs me,....
The liner lock on mine is completely flush if not just below the handles. It is VERY difficult and a little hard on my thumb to get the blade unlocked.
I am wondering if maybe I just ended up with one that was manufactured a bit OFF, or if all of them are like this???
Can those that own them speak up and let me know if it is just mine or if you have the same difficulty???

I think the skyline would look better if both sides had steel liners. Is that PB washers i see in the last picture?

Fred Sanford

Gold Member
I think the skyline would look better if both sides had steel liners. Is that PB washers i see in the last picture?

I agree, but I think it would up the price a tad. The only thing that worries me about having a single liner is the fact that the thumbstuds ARE the stop pin on this knife (like many Kershaw's). I wonder how it will fare long term with one side having a steel liner for the stop pin to hit and the other side hitting G10. Or is the single side doing all the "stop pin" action?

And yes those are PB washers. :)

If you look closely the stop pin should only hit on the steel liner. it is about .010" proud of the G-10.

we really went back and forth on single liner VS two liners and we decided to go with one not so much for price, as knife thickness.

another trick to flipping this knife properly is not to put too much pressure on the G-10 without the extra steel liner the G-10 will flex

glad you guys like the knife and we are thankful to have the feedback.

RKH

The Skyline is my favorite EDC because it is light and has G10 handles and flips so well. I like IWB carry and I don't even know it's there until I need it. The Ram is another good carry knife but the Skyline is the one I carry the most bacause it is so slim and light and sharp...love the 13C26 steel and works so well for me. Oh, It is an inexpensive knife but it is not a cheap knife. Thanks Kershaw for such a good knife made in the USA.

RKH

If you look closely the stop pin should only hit on the steel liner. it is about .010" proud of the G-10.

we really went back and forth on single liner VS two liners and we decided to go with one not so much for price, as knife thickness.

another trick to flipping this knife properly is not to put too much pressure on the G-10 without the extra steel liner the G-10 will flex

glad you guys like the knife and we are thankful to have the feedback.

The response on your design has been excellent Tommie:thumbup: I personally contend that it is the absolute best American made knife value on the market right now for under $40.00. You can't find these materials, this workmanship, and this nice of a design, and made in the USA ANYWHERE else for this price.

Now go design us another one, PRONTO:D

Cheers,
Jon

The response on your design has been excellent Tommie:thumbup: I personally contend that it is the absolute best American made knife value on the market right now for under $40.00. You can't find these materials, this workmanship, and this nice of a design, and made in the USA ANYWHERE else for this price.

Now go design us another one, PRONTO:D

Cheers,
Jon

I agree. I'd like to add that I think there should be a sprint run of skylines with Ti handles. Lol.

Haha, I dont know about that. I would pay the higher price for a composite blade, ti handled skyline in a heartbeat.

Yeah, so would I, in a HEARTBEAT!, but we don't need to tell Thomas and Tommie, that!!:D

If we told them what we would pay for Kershaw knives.....good lord, I don't even want to think about what would happen:eek:, so keep it on the down low, eh?;)

Yeah, so would I, in a HEARTBEAT!, but we don't need to tell Thomas and Tommie, that!!:D

If we told them what we would pay for Kershaw knives.....good lord, I don't even want to think about what would happen:eek:, so keep it on the down low, eh?;)

Oh, what I meant by higher price was $45. lol

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=430 Does anyone have a stonewashedone. I got one last week and was sure hopeing for the stone washed blade, but it dosen't. I guess the bead blasting must be cheaper. It is a very nice knife, I was just want the extra rust protection. All the 13c26 blades that I have rust if not kept oiled, I feel that it is do mostly to the bead blasting. How much more is it to stone wash rather than use the bead blasting? I myself would be willing to pay $5 or $10 more to gain some rust protection. Yes I do know that it is just surface rust and does clean off easily.

Joshua J.

Gold Member
I've been saying from the start and I'll say it again, this design needs a bigger version. A four inch blade would make it a kick butt beater, at a hard to beat price (especially with a framelock).

Without a doubt, a contender to take over one of my favorites , the 1431 "wild Turkey" . This knife is awesome and as a collector you know , I don't always carry and use my knives. This one is hard to put down. It is smooth, well balanced and an awesome design. I like that there is a lot of blade for such a small knife and it is sooooo light. I absolutely think it is a big winner. How about a few with polished G10 and some S60V blades to help us get rid of some knife budget money ? Great knife guys, I think in years to come it will be one that people will still search for and wish it were back. Kudos !!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: