Kershaw Storm II (With Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, how about an inexpensive, nice-steeled, made-in-America folder? I found it; the Kershaw Storm II. The model number is 1475, and you can find them in stores from $28 to $33. Here are the specs...

Handle Details: The Storm has handles made of 410 stainless, brush finished and 4.75" long. The entire knife is only .375" thick, making it very pocketable. The left side has two Trac Tec inserts, kind of like skateboard tape. It helps keep the knife in hand very well. At first I thought the inserts would interfere when witdrawing the knife from my pocket, but they never did. There are also four holes drilled into the middle of the handle and four drilled near the blade pivot; they're for looks and weight reduction. There's a lanyard hole in the butt if you wish to add one. The blade pivot pin is located on this side, and is adjustable with a Torx (T-8) bit. There are two handle screws to remove if you want to take the knife apart, and they're Torx (T-6). The right handle scale has no cut-outs or inserts. The pocket clip is attached to this side only, and it's reversible for tip-up or tip-down via two torx (T-6) bits. Oh yeah... the pocket clip also has holes in it.
The butt of the knife has jimping on it, as does the back near the blade spine. The knife opens very solidly with a frame lock, which engages the blade for over half of its length. There's no blade play at all. The back of the handle is open to allow debris to go through, and the spacers are the fancy, hourglass-shapes ones. Nice touch.

Blade Details: The Storm's blade is 3.62" long and .375" at it's thickest. It's made of Sandvik 13C26, and is flat ground. It came out of the box very sharp, and was quickly made razor-sharp. The left side of the blade has the Kershaw / Ken Onion logo etched on, while the right side has 1475 over KAI MADE IN USA. The right side tang has the date of manufacture (JUN 04). There is a thumb stud on each side of the blade, and they're both textured and ramped. I don't use them because there's a small flipper. The flipper makes this knife very easy to open with just a slight flick of the wrist. The opening is buttery-smooth, and lock-up is solid.

Give the Storm II a look...

063-1.jpg

061-1.jpg

062-1.jpg

065.jpg

064-1.jpg

066.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the Storm is a beautiful knife, and I love the recurved blade. The knife has a quality feel to it and makes a fine gift, even if the person you're giving it to has hundreds of other knives. It's a real bargain. Beats getting a tie!

A good knife, though I'm not a big fan of recurves. But I thought it was a bit heavy for its size, especially when worn on dress pants.

I really like the looks (and price!) of the Storm, but the recurve always keeps me away. :(

samhain...just do it. ive seen ur sharpenign skills before. you wont have a problem with it. and its too good a knife to pass up.

Has anyone carried this knife for any length of time? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences, and how well this steel holds an edge. I have one in my collection, but that sandpaper grit Trac-Tec on the side puts me off a bit. It's a handsome knife, strong and hey, hey, hey, made in the U.S. of A!

KershawStorm_1.jpg

I owned and carried one for about month. Excellent quality knife but i hated the "sand paper" grip inserts! they scratched up everything i carried in my right pocket with the knife like my car remote and my knuckles if i tried to dig anything out of my pocket. i also did not like the huge pocket clip. ,,,VWB.

Hey, it might be useful for some things...like bunions. You think pulling out a knife in mixed company is bad, just try removing your shoes and scraping dead skin off your foot, all without opening the blade! Get one of those fingernail clippers and you'll be set!

The clip is large, especially for those of us who don't even use clips!

Seriously, though, is there any way to get rid of that Trac Tec stuff? I wonder if it peels off....

KershawStorm_BS_3Sm.jpg

The clip does look like it's removable.

the inserts bothered me as well. i read in a previous thread that you could use a very fine grit sandpaper on a wood block to smooth it out. i tried it and it worked like a charm.

I'd think the sandpaper would screw up the finish on the topside of the knife. Perhaps a pen-style ink eraser might work, or perhaps just a blunt metal edge, such as the end of a pocket diamond sharpener. I can't imagine why Kershaw would use such a material. It really does destroy anything else that's in one's pocket. It's too bad because the knife has so many things going for it.

The original Trac-Tec inserts were indeed much too aggressive, but they have been replaced with a much softer version of the same material (some time ago). If you wanted to change the old ones out, I'm sure a shout out over to Kershaw would bring forth an envelope with a new set of inserts in the updated material. They are just stickied on, so the changeover would be a snap.

I carried a 1/2 serrated storm from Walmart at work for about 1 year and put it through hell: Coolant, every type of oil from quenching oil to honing oil, feces, mud, dirt, cutting flexible drain pipe. (I worked for Roto-Rooter) and the blade pivot pin started to come loose after a few months. A little loctite solved that. I also drilled out the ball detent to make flipping easier. I whole-heartedly recommend it for a hard use beater knife. My son carries it now (he's 10) and it's still going strong even w/ all the stupid things kids do w/ a knife.

Like the recurve (alot of folks don't). Like the thumbstuds (many don't). Like the trac tek (again...) But I hate that freakin' clip!!! I like a discreet carry man, the first time I carried the thing, three people asked me about my knife. That has never happened before or since. Tough knife, great cutter, mod the clip if you get one.

The knife does have a certain charm, but there are better carrying knives available. The Storm is awfully skinny, which gives it a great profile in carrying, but then there's that clip a blind cop could spot a block away. In other words, it has so much going for it, but ultimately it makes a poor carrying knife when so many good Zytel- and G10-handled knives are available. I wish other knifemakers would take a cue from Kershaw and work on slimming down their knives a bit. As it is, the Storm is kind of like having a Cross pen. It's nice, has a great feel, makes an excellent gift, but ultimately can be a pain to carry and use.

I got mine at Wal Mart for 29.99
It was too heavy
Made my pants sag

I ended up giving it as a gift
It looked cool and was sharp out the box......

I really like my Storm II - except for the recurve. If it had a better blade shape, I'd carry it reguarly.

I have been carrying this knife for 2 years now the sand paper grit is long gone and the knife is by far thebest knife i have ever carried.
Has anyone carried this knife for any length of time? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences, and how well this steel holds an edge. I have one in my collection, but that sandpaper grit Trac-Tec on the side puts me off a bit. It's a handsome knife, strong and hey, hey, hey, made in the U.S. of A!

KershawStorm_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back