1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kershaw Thistle detent. Drill?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by ootdega, Apr 16, 2018.

  1. ootdega

    ootdega

    2
    Apr 16, 2018
    I started an account here to ask about something. Hopefully I came to the right place.

    I bought a Kershaw Thistle recently, and I really like almost everything about it. I only have two problems.

    First, which I hear is common, the pivot screw gets loose quickly, and needs a driver to tighten. My previous KA-BAR folder also got loose, but I could tighten that with my thumb, so this is a new problem for me.

    Second, it opens far too easily for my liking. No other knife I've had opens this easily, and all of them cost less than the Thistle, if you can believe that. I can just shake it and the blade comes loose, even when the pivot screw is properly tightened. I don't like that.

    The first is easily solved with thread locker, but the second isn't so easy.

    Now, when I look at the inside of the knife while it's closed, I can see that the ball bearing barely has any interface with the detent in the blade. My Smith & Wesson folder has a much stronger interface and it's rock solid. So my thinking is, if I can drill out the detent a little bit, it should solve the problem. Maybe bend the liner lock a bit while I'm at it, since it's also a little shallow.

    What do you think? What size would the drill bit need to be? Am I on the right track? The 26 cents in my bank account all told me that I'm not exactly in a hurry, so I have plenty of time to make a decision.

    Thanks. I'll bookmark this thread and be back tomorrow.


    EDIT: Well, I didn't get a response, but I do have an answer.

    Different knife, exact same problem, exact same reason. Hope this helps someone.
     
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. ootdega

    ootdega

    2
    Apr 16, 2018
    I took it apart and found out the detent was actually defective. It wasn't even round, it was more like Pac-Man. I was able to fix it in about half an hour with the diamond file on my Blade Medic. I could've sent it out to Kershaw and they would've fixed it, but I don't have the money to ship it. I also bent the liner lock by sliding the screwdriver behind it and carefully wedging it apart.

    It's fixed. Now this info is out there, maybe someone else will need it some day.

    Thanks for nothing.
     

Share This Page