Kershaw Vapor

SOLEIL

Platinum Member
I friend at work showed me his EDC with about 3/16 of the tip snapped off. It turned out to be a Vapor, made in China. I offered to fix it for him. I brought the blade up and the spine down. The tip is only slightly lower than the original position. "You would never know it was broken" was the reply. Fixing the tip only took about 10 min. Well, whenever I offer or am asked to fix or sharpen I always tear it down, clean and polish friction surfaces. Upon disassembly the only clean spot was where the washers contacted the frame and blade. I could not tell what the washers were, either metal or synthetic. It took 20 min. with a dremel and stainless brush to clean the inside. 10 min. to sharpen. Gave it back and found out that he had dressed out about seven deer and had used it to baton small firewood. He said that it was probably cracked from batoning and snapped when he was prying some plexiglass. This man is an avid hunter, usually taking 5 or 6 deer on a slow season in Al. He keeps the blade tight, I could not open it one handed. The only damage was a nicked up spine and up/down blade play that I could not correct. I offered him a knife (Storm II) to tide him over, but he had another Vapor already. I also mentioned that Kershaw would probably replace it if he sent it in. He was not even aware that it was warranted. Great knife for a great price!. Par for the course for Kershaw.

Nice story SOLEIL:thumbup: The Vapor II was my very first Kershaw a number of years back and I've been hooked ever since. I still have it and it's still going strong.

Jon

Wow that Vapor was used pretty hard!
I' m actually carrying mine right now, fantastic knife(other than that I keep getting blade play, which I simply fix by carrying a tiny Torx bit, too.:D)

My brother is not a knife collector like many of us posting here are, but he does carry a pocket knife, and it is a Vapor. He loves it, too, which goes to show the universal appeal of that model, not just to enthusiasts, but to the average Joe, too.

I missplaced my EDC Leek a while back. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something new (I knew I'd find it soon) so I picked up a VII. That knife surprised me. I was expecting $30 knife quality and got $50 quality. I said once, but it's a poor man's Shallot.

Speaking of Deer and knives, I've mentioned before the 1st knife I gave my son
was a Vapor. His 1st kill was this spike he nailed at around 100 yards....
right on the money. It was dressed with his Blur.

002003-1.jpg

That's my boy!! :thumbup:

Bambi was great after baked. :D

If I remember correctly, he dressed out at 65lbs.
Man, you couldn't have smacked that smile off
my son's face. :)

One of many awesome moments spent with my son. :thumbup:
To bad they have to grow up. :(

It is cool though, to watch your boy turn into a young man.
He was 12 at that time, he's 19 now.

Back