Kershaw Volt SS

I ordered the Volt about 3 weeks ago, to out into rotation as an EDC. I have been a huge fan of kershaw for years, and have carried a Groove and one of its smaller cousins exclusively for over a decade. I had never owned anything with Speedsafe, however, and having bought 0 knives in the last 5 years, I felt I was due for a change.

Out of the box, it was sleek and hair- popping sharp. The speed safe engagement was positive, and the overall feel was sturdy, as befits an all-steel knife. Even the grip was surprisingly engaging, despite the lack of handle scales.

That's the good. The bad showed up after a week or two of pretty civilized use- cutting painters plastic, cardboard boxes, tape, etc. At first, the lock seemed to have trouble engaging all the way. Then, day by day, the blade developed a significant wobble. I can move the blade laterally when in the locked position with my fingers, and if I hold the open knife by the handle and shake it (while open) I can hear the blade rattling in the handle. If I force the lock (frame lock) to engage fully with my hand, the blade will stop moving, but I cant do that and use the knife at the same time.

The fact that this knife has become dangerously loose, especially so soon, is a staggering disappointment. I haven't even had this thing long enough to need to sharpen it. I own ten year old knives that have seen hard use, that still lock up securely. While the price point on this knife could have been higher, I EDC other Kershaws in the same range without any of these problems. Either Kershaw, and/or the Volt, has taken a dramatic nosedive in quality the last few years, or I got the factory lemon. Either way, I doubt I will be shopping Kai products again for a while.

If you can't fix it yourself, have you thought about sending your S/S Volt I to KAI for "warranty" repair? Seems like that would be the thing to do.

FWIW, I own around 50 Kershaws including a S/S Volt I and a Volt II but have never used/carried them; just collected them because they were designed by RJ Martin. The only Kershaw that I've ever actually used is a Ken Onion Shallot 1840CKT and never had a problem w/it.

That said, I have noticed (as a collector of both vintage and current Kershaws) that (w/certain exceptions) the build quality of earlier Kershaws certainly seems better than those made more recently but, even so, I don't think you should be having the problems you have described w/the S/S Volt that you purchased.

Back