Kershaw vs Sanrenmu blade steels

It certainly hasn't stopped Taylor and Ozark Trail from making 3cr13 blades. Taylor has videos showing some of their 3cr13 Imperial, Old Timer and Uncle Henry knives cutting through manila rope. And the topics on Ozark Trail knives speak for themselves. I don't own a 3cr13 blade but I don't believe they are as junk as most people here say they are; those are the people who claim that the 8cr13mov and 7cr17 blades on Schrade and S&W folders are junk.

I recall only one SRM model that uses the Axis lock, and that is the 7063 AUC. Multiple colour variants of the same model don't count as separate products. ;)

I don't have any Talor or Ozark knives, so I can't comment on their steel. I was referring to the Kershaw 3Cr steel which I have used and rate it just a hair above pot iron :p

I only said "produced a lot of knives" not a lot of models. Between the original 763 series, now branded as the 7063 series, SRM has produced a great number of knives with an unlicensed device. I'm not picking on SRM, it's common among Enlan, Navy and some of the other old Chinese names. Ganzo is probably the worst offender. They're all surprisingly good knives for the money but many, in some form or another, step on the toes of those who've invented and innovated before them.

I don't have any Talor or Ozark knives, so I can't comment on their steel. I was referring to the Kershaw 3Cr steel which I have used and rate it just a hair above pot iron :p

I only said "produced a lot of knives" not a lot of models. Between the original 763 series, now branded as the 7063 series, SRM has produced a great number of knives with an unlicensed device. I'm not picking on SRM, it's common among Enlan, Navy and some of the other old Chinese names. Ganzo is probably the worst offender. They're all surprisingly good knives for the money but many, in some form or another, step on the toes of those who've invented and innovated before them.

Seems ironic that nearly everyone uses a frame lock, liner lock, back lock, slip joint, etc that they didn't invent but if you use the Axis lock you become the evil empire. Did BM ever apply for a patent that the Chinese would acknowledge? Now that the US patents have expired, is it still dirty to use that lock type?

As for SRM, the two I have are built better than the two BM knives I have. I love the BM designs but the production is mediocre. If you took the names off and asked someone unfamiliar with the brands which were built better it would certainly be the SRM. No idea if their blades are what they claim or not but I believe it. They seem to do enough other things right and have enough history of producing for a couple US respected labels that I don't question what they sell as being fraudulent.

Seems ironic that nearly everyone uses a frame lock, liner lock, back lock, slip joint, etc that they didn't invent but if you use the Axis lock you become the evil empire. Did BM ever apply for a patent that the Chinese would acknowledge? Now that the US patents have expired, is it still dirty to use that lock type?

I think you're mixing apples and oranges. Back locks, Frame locks, Liner Locks are not patented. Liner locks and frame locks are acknowledged to Michael Walker and Chris Reeve respectively, but they were never patent protected. The closest thing I can think of that's a patented Liner Lock would be the Kershaw Sub-Frame which, yes, is patented and they are protecting by legal action. The Axis lock is/was patented, just at the Spyderco hole is trademarked (often a stronger action than a patent). The issue of China acknowledging a USPO number is moot.

It all boils down to a personal standard. Even though it might be legal today for a manufacturer to use the Axis, if that business was significantly built upon the unlicensed use of that lock then it is dirty By My Standards, and most people who support the industry feel the same way. That's why you don't find SRM and the other mentioned brands at Blade HQ or Knife Center, though you will find them on fleabay and muddy river.

Getting back to the original question, I have to give the nod to Kershaw steel. Although their 3Cr stuff is really crappy, at least the 8Cr stuff wears decent and is backed by one of the best customer service centers in the business. There's really no way to get service on SRM steel.

It all boils down to a personal standard. Even though it might be legal today for a manufacturer to use the Axis, if that business was significantly built upon the unlicensed use of that lock then it is dirty By My Standards, and most people who support the industry feel the same way.

Do you use Microsoft products?

....The Axis lock is/was patented, just at the Spyderco hole is trademarked (often a stronger action than a patent). The issue of China acknowledging a USPO number is moot.

It all boils down to a personal standard. Even though it might be legal today for a manufacturer to use the Axis, if that business was significantly built upon the unlicensed use of that lock then it is dirty By My Standards, and most people who support the industry feel the same way. That's why you don't find SRM and the other mentioned brands at Blade HQ or Knife Center, though you will find them on fleabay and muddy river.

Getting back to the original question, I have to give the nod to Kershaw steel. Although their 3Cr stuff is really crappy, at least the 8Cr stuff wears decent and is backed by one of the best customer service centers in the business. There's really no way to get service on SRM steel.

If the Axis lock is still patented, then I can see where you are coming from. If not, I don't see that it is really a big deal any more. Never really felt that it was much of an issue anyway.

Funny how one marketing or business issue can get under someone's skin and the next one is not even a blip on the radar. I wonder how many BF members have taken offense with overseas Axis lock production but, don't take a second thought about the Honda they drive or the Harley they ride on the weekend. Both H-D and Honda built their fame and reputation with the use of stolen BMW designs. Just my two cents. I'm not trying to stir the pot here, guys.

Back to the Kershaw & SRM issue. Seems like SRM is gaining a small reputation for putting out a decent product at a reasonable price. Their choice of steels is improving along with the F&F. Given time, they will be at places like Blade HQ and the Knife Center.

Along with the countless other Chinese budget folders people like me have zero interest in.

I can understand that, too.

There are very few Chinese knives I like enough to consider giving up my greenbacks. The same holds true for most US made blades I come across.

What morality do you mean? Why is one feature ok to copy but other ones are sacred? The Axis Lock is just a revolver cylinder lock on a knife. Sam Colt designed that long ago. The frame-lock was just a copy of the preceding liner-lock design with the scales removed. Who decided to put thumb studs on a blade? Why is it cool for everyone to use that? How about the lockback? Buck came up with that but I have yet to hear about any other company being dirty for using it.

What morality do you mean? Why is one feature ok to copy but other ones are sacred? The Axis Lock is just a revolver cylinder lock on a knife. Sam Colt designed that long ago. The frame-lock was just a copy of the preceding liner-lock design with the scales removed. Who decided to put thumb studs on a blade? Why is it cool for everyone to use that? How about the lockback? Buck came up with that but I have yet to hear about any other company being dirty for using it.

What I mean is that some people think that breaking a moral code is also breaking a legal code, and vice-versa.

It may be morally wrong for a Chinese company to clone a US-patentedt/trademarked/etc. product and sell it in China, but there is no law that restricts it.
It may be illegal to own a switchblade in many states, but it is not morally wrong.
A Chinese company making a clone and selling it in the US is both morally and legally wrong.

People take a hardline stance based on morals and law, but do it inconsistently, and sometimes without really knowing which is which.
I mentioned elsewhere that no one complains about the multitude of knives that look exactly like a Buck110 (or does the 110 look like those other knives?), but mention a Sanrenmu that looks similar to a Sebenza and the cries of anguish begin.
The cries seem a bit disingenuous when you look at the big picture.

Back