Kevin Cashen’s Guide to 1080 & 1084 DVD

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
ABS Master Bladesmith and relentless pursuer of knifemaking metallurgy facts Kevin Cashen has made a DVD guide to 1080 and 1084, which appears to be the first in a series covering commonly used bladesmithing steels.

As his posts here on Bladeforums are stickies and invaluable tools, I figured I ought to post this here so everyone can do whatever is necessary to get their grubby mitts on a copy.

Here’s the press release from Kevin’s website:

Kevin Cashen’s Guide to 1080 & 1084

I miss that guy around here. He was great. His focus on honesty, genuine knowledge and pursuit of metallurgical performance helped guide a lot of new makers here in the early 2000's and I believe he helped shape the small "high performance knife" industry we enjoy today.

When people on this forum hear us old guys talk about "the good old days" he was a big part of it. We've all been after him for a while to write a book or do a DVD etc.

If you forge and you want to know what you're actually doing with your steel you should probably consider investing in that guide. I'd wager your knives will be better for it. Very knowledgeable man. :thumbsup:

I miss that guy around here. He was great. His focus on honesty, genuine knowledge and pursuit of metallurgical performance helped guide a lot of new makers here in the early 2000's and I believe he helped shape the small "high performance knife" industry we enjoy today.

When people on this forum hear us old guys talk about "the good old days" he was a big part of it. We've all been after him for a while to write a book or do a DVD etc.

If you forge and you want to know what you're actually doing with your steel you should probably consider investing in that guide. I'd wager your knives will be better for it. Very knowledgeable man. :thumbsup:

Absofirggingloutely

It's very smart of him since there are countless threads about how to heat treat 1084.

It's very smart of him since there are countless threads about how to heat treat 1084.
Exactly.... finally, we'll have some empirical data, gathered by a bladesmith, specific to our craft. Most of the "how to HT 1084 threads" are a mish-mash of copy/paste from several sources, most of which are industry standards that do not translate easily to our stock dimensions. To have a reliable unbiased, hype-free source that touches on all "thermal aspects" of knifemaking for a given steel is a giant leap. Kevin, explains things in a clear, down to earth manner as well... often using imagery and humor to keep you interested. With ADHD, Dislexia, OCD, PMS, STP and HDMI, I tend glaze over pretty quick and for me, it is invaluable to have an educator who plays to my strengths.... which I can't think of at the moment... lol.

Larrin.... you're good, too. Ha! just realized who I am responding to. Love ya, buddy.

I can see that my previous post could be misconstrued so I have clarified below:

I meant that there are a lot of threads on it because many people are looking for information on the topic. I wasn’t implying that all possible information was available and therefore he shouldn’t have made the dvd. The frequent threads mean that his dvd should be popular.

Last edited:
Agreed. Really should be a required purchase for all knifemakers.

The issue with attempting to search for anything in Shoptalk is that the results which turn up have effectively been saturated with so much nonsense by people that don’t seem to know when to keep their pieholes shut, that it renders the facts indistinguishable from the filth they’re engulfed in.

I,d say it,s topic and timing are appropriate, and I too want one....

Last edited:
"DVD"? Guess I will have to dust off the old machine. With digital downloads the DVD player is about to get annexed next to the vhs and laser disc machines

Back