Kevin Estela's New Blog is Out!

The AR platform isn't my favorite, and I'm really not very fond of the .223 round. I didn't care much for the M16 my Uncle Sam handed me in 85, though I did manage to qualify as an expert marksman with it, and it hasn't grown on me any since. I'm more partial to bolt actions and .30 caliber ammo, but it is a good read with some good points :)

The AR platform isn't my favorite, and I'm really not very fond of the .223 round. I didn't care much for the M16 my Uncle Sam handed me in 85, though I did manage to qualify as an expert marksman with it, and it hasn't grown on me any since. I'm more partial to bolt actions and .30 caliber ammo, but it is a good read with some good points :)
get an AR10 in .308. I love mine and it's a freaking beast.

Allison, I wonder if you can own an AR in Australia? HAHA!

I've got AR's in .223/556, 6.5 Grendel and 300 Blackout all suppressed shooting MOA or better from 25-800 yards. They are the most fun at the range and in classes they run like tops, so I've been lucky with my choices of components and cleaning gear.

The only gun I like more is my suppressed CZ Scorpion in 9mm which is a dream to shoot and cheap ammo wise to boot.

I've got AR's in .223/556, 6.5 Grendel and 300 Blackout all suppressed shooting MOA or better from 25-800 yards. They are the most fun at the range and in classes they run like tops, so I've been lucky with my choices of components and cleaning gear.

The only gun I like more is my suppressed CZ Scorpion in 9mm which is a dream to shoot and cheap ammo wise to boot.
Ive got a case of 6.5 ammo from Alexander Arms i dont need anymore. If you need some

I love my AR for its modularity, lets me configure based on role. For me, it is a fighting tool from 0-100 yards. Beyond 100 yards, I have no reason to be in a fight and that could really be said for 25 yards. Beyond that it is predation or a "game of chess". - for the threats I am most likely to face- I am comfortable that training and experience will be lacking. If I am facing someone well trained and experienced, I suspect I will not hear the shot ;) I have a better tool suited for that but the AR "can" be used if it is all I have. My former mentor carried a 2 1/2" .357 and humbled us by draining milk jugs at 100 yards from standing.

As always, a weapon is just a layer in the overall system. For me, I have light, red dot, fixed rail irons, straight rear grip/angled front grip, flash hider, 2 point sling. M193 in 30s and Black Hills 77gr in 20s. Simple and effective. I am working on a 11.5" pistol build now.

Bill

Back