Keyboard ghost on phone screen. Burn-in?

My girlfriend has noticed that upper half of the screen is darker than bottom half of the screen, and upon closer inspection we realized that there are letters and numbers visible on the bottom half, basically you can see entire keyboard. And upper, darker part of the screen has some slight pink tint/shade to it too.

She didn't notice it until recently, it's visible even on the home screen, and when you put entire screen in single color - you just can't miss it.

It's visible on all colors, blue, gray and white are the worst though.

Yes, this is an OLED screen, so I think this is most likley burn-in, while I hope it's just image retention since burn-in is irreversible.

She'll try using some aps to fix it, does anyone have any idea what it is or did this issue happen to anyone else? If it did, how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if it will help, but sometimes on my LG V20, I see what looks like a ghost of a previous app I had opened. Usually doing a soft reset (turning the phone off and on) will fix it.

I don't know if it will help, but sometimes on my LG V20, I see what looks like a ghost of a previous app I had opened. Usually doing a soft reset (turning the phone off and on) will fix it.
We tried that, we also tried to run pixed shifter/fixer and similar videos.
It seems that you experienced image retention since pixels do return to normal after reset os just giving them some time.

This however is hardcore. This is definitley screen burn in.

Culprits:
Her screen brightness is at 100% all the time.
She texts a lot.
She has a habbit of keeping the screen on with open conversation and keyboard opened too while she polishes her nails or does something else, she'll even keep clicking the screen after it goes dark around 10min mark to keep it turned on.

With all this it's no wonder she got really terrible screen burn-in.
We're afraid that this is irreversible, and if it is - she wants to buy a new phone as soon as possible. And that will be a bit tricky with this quarantene situation going on.
You can't even go to the store and take the display device in your hand to see it which is not ideal.

With all the descriptions sound like it’s screen burn, even though I’ve never heard about it on mobile phones.

With all the descriptions sound like it’s screen burn, even though I’ve never heard about it on mobile phones.
It seems that it's even more common on mobile phones than TV's since there's more mobile devices with OLED screens than TV's.

She'll be buying a new phone soon.

If she buys another OLED phone, she ought to use a screen saver. There are screen saver apps for phones in Google's Play Store and Apple's App Store.

Back in the 1980s, IBM's monochrome CRT monitors were notorious for screen burn-in. They used long persistent phosphors for a rock steady display, and every one in my office had Illinois Department of Public Aid burned into the center of the screen. You could read it when the monitors were turned off.

That's why computer users started using screen savers. Nowadays they're mostly not necessary, but people still use them. Stuff like this:

800px-Animated_Wallpaper_Windows_10_-_Wallpaper_Engine.gif

If she buys another OLED phone, she ought to use a screen saver. There are screen saver apps for phones in Google's Play Store and Apple's App Store.

Back in the 1980s, IBM's monochrome CRT monitors were notorious for screen burn-in. They used long persistent phosphors for a rock steady display, and every one in my office had Illinois Department of Public Aid burned into the center of the screen. You could read it when the monitors were turned off.

That's why computer users started using screen savers. Nowadays they're mostly not necessary, but people still use them. Stuff like this:

800px-Animated_Wallpaper_Windows_10_-_Wallpaper_Engine.gif
She wants to buy a new phone but today all flagships have OLED screens.

I keep telling her that OLED screen shouldn't be an issue as long as she doesn't keep the phone at max brightness all the time, and puts screen timeout time at less than 10 minutes. Not keeping keyboard open all the time would help too, same as letting the screen to turn off while she's polishing her nails.

But brightness has to be at 100% and screen must not turn off :D

So, now we're looking for a phone which fits her tight criteria regarding the camera AND has LCD display too :D

My V20 does that too.

The Huawei Mate 20 Pro has well documented screen issues. High brightness may be an issue. And Huawei has addressed this publicly. Have you contacted them regarding warranty service?
https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_res...os_screen_light_bleeding_issue-news-34037.php
Her mentality is: "I don't wanna reduce brightness on something I paid this much"

I'll remind her of warranty, but it looks like she wants a new device. She'll at least be able to sell this one for more with new display tho.

Her mentality is: "I don't wanna reduce brightness on something I paid this much"

I'll remind her of warranty, but it looks like she wants a new device. She'll at least be able to sell this one for more with new display tho.

Lol, that is some of the weirdest reasoning of anything I've ever read.

She'll likely get more out of that thing she paid so much for by turning it down a bit and extending the battery life.

She will send an e-mail to see how to claim her warranty now that we're in quarantene...

And she'll also buy a new phone, and sell this one afterwards (repaired or not, she's selling it).

I have seen burn in on phones and with how much people use phones now it isn’t surprising. I also notice some phones have static aspects to their display which all suffer horribly from burn-in. The options are replace the phone or replace the screen. There are DIY guides to replacing screens but honestly I don’t recommend them I don’t even bother with them but phone repair isn’t my field, I am in IT, but wouldn’t even do it to my own device except under unlikely circumstances. If you are in an area with heavy enforcement of quarantine I would at this point look to getting the replacement online. You can buy a new, used, or refurbished of the current phone from Amazon and the likes fairly easy in my experience. If you want to upgrade Amazon and such can still be an option but you could also just as easily go through your carrier.

I also notice some phones have static aspects to their display which all suffer horribly from burn-in.
She texts a lot, and as a result there is horrible burn in of the eyboard on her screen, you can literally read the letters and numbers even when keyboard isn't open...

I have replaced batteries and screen on several phones. iPhones are needlessly complex. And have unique drivers. This phone is not that tough. You can find the parts, tools, and instructions at iFixit.

Back