Keychain Knives, Where to Start?

Jeff Clark said:
For an odd solution you might look at a Christy Knife. This has an out the front sliding blade that locks (well "lock" is an overstatement) in three different positions. The blade is thin like a scalpel and it is easy to overpower the lock if you stab into something tough like wood, but this only pushes the blade into the handle (you won't cut yourself). If you already have a strong blade in your pocket this gives you an adjustable Xacto knife on your keychain. I used mine in my high school biology class to disect frogs.
http://www.heimerdingercutlery.com/catalog/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=332

This is one handy little cutter. I've been carrying one of these for close to thirty years. The neet thing is that they have replacable blades. Wear one down and just replace the blade for like three dollars.

I've never made up my mind weather they were an exacto knife like the man said, or a scalple on a keychain. :thumbup:

TheKnifeCollector said:
Have you picked a new key chain knife yet Sulaco?

Not yet. I have a few ideas but really wanted to put my hands on one or two of them. The small Spyderco's are nice but I think they might be too big for what I want.

7k7k99 said:
A very interesting knife, might have to get one of those :D

Yes I like the looks of it also.

For me, a keychain knife would be a sort of "last resort" tool much like the photon light on my keychain. I generally keep a more suitable knife and flashlight with me or in places I go. It just seems like I often need a knife when I don't have one and a small keychain knife would always be there.

Keep the ideas coming!

kiwilg.jpg

It's not fancy, but it's not too expensive and it is key-chain sized.... Buck's model 425 MiniBuck.

Spyderco Jester is my vote.

That Nemisis blade looks nice too though...

Why not grab one of the small Spyderco Byrd series?
I carry a SS Jester personally in my watch pocket but wouldn't be adverse to a Finch... ;).
Atwood stuff looks fantastic too :D. I'm going to have to grab a Prybaby sometime soon.

I also carry a Utili-key... but.... I don't think it's hardened very much - the blade dents easily. The eyeglass screwdriver is also very awkward to use. I'd recommend something else personally - oh, and of course it'll never get past any security. A SAK would get my vote.

The latest from the Byrd line. It's light, inexpensive (around $20 with shipping) and snaps open with authority. The thumbhole is larger than a ladybug or jester. And the cutting edge on the blade is about the same as the cutting edge on my larger Spyderco Poliwog. It's worth considering.

BY12BBK_L.jpg

Jeff Clark said:
For an odd solution you might look at a Christy Knife. This has an out the front sliding blade that locks (well "lock" is an overstatement) in three different positions. The blade is thin like a scalpel and it is easy to overpower the lock if you stab into something tough like wood, but this only pushes the blade into the handle (you won't cut yourself). If you already have a strong blade in your pocket this gives you an adjustable Xacto knife on your keychain. I used mine in my high school biology class to disect frogs.
http://www.heimerdingercutlery.com/catalog/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=332

My Christy knife arrived today, not sure what to expect, but it sure doesn't look like a knife [good for the office, they will just think it's a weird keychain] and it will probably replace my edc leatherman S4 on the keychain. It is much lighter, much easier to get to the blade when I need it without having to unfold the leatherman. Granted it is not gonna chop down trees or scare off the 'booger' man, but for it's purpose as a keychain knife, I think it'll do :thumbup:

Victorinox Rambler. Check on official website. Same swiss knife, but it offer much more than Victorinox classic. Most important, it has bottle opener! Isn't it important to us all.

Leatherman Squirt P4/S4
just got it today. Much heavier than Victorinox Rambler. Build tough. Swiss is more easily got scratch. Leatherman will be more scratch prof.
I like S4 better. I just don't usually use piler as much.

These 2 I truely recommand. If i had to choose one, I will choose Rambler. Its easier in hand and to use.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=originalswissarmyknives&product=54031&

Back