• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

KFF Tip Fix

I have a CRKT KFF with aus 6 steel, and I dropped it. It blunted the tip slightly. This was a while back, I have sinced sharpened the edge, (sharpmaker) but have not succeeded in putting a decent tip on it. I know you can turn the sharpmaker into a bench stone, and I did that, rubbing the tip on the flats to try to "regrind" myself a new tip. Again, its slightly blunted, so can anyone give me a "tip" on how to get a new tip? (very lame pun intended) ... thanks!

--defiant

------------------
God made man short and tall.
Samuel Colt made them equal.

Good news/bad news.

The good news is I successfully reground a tip on a squared Delica.

Bad news is I used a method that you've already tried - the 204.

I can't beleive that the dark stones are not taking AUS steel off your tip. Perhaps it's a big piece missing, or you are trying to keep the same profile. If you are, you'll never do it - you would need to restore the original geometry by grinding all the way back to the spine.

What you need to do is imagine a straight line from the end of the spine to the end of the edge, and grind off that little triange of steel to make a new line. Your new tip may look funny, since the smooth line of the tip may suddenly drop off to make a point, but that's what you need to do. The Delica was easy to do, since the spine is already angling towards the tip, not a more upswept tip like the KFF. Good luck.

I appreciate it. The dark stones actually have no problem removing the steel, its like a hot knife through butter
smile.gif
My quest was for the best way to do it, Im sure I can grind a reasonable tip freehand, I just didnt know if perhaps I needed some special skills or techniques. Ill try this and get back to you. BTW: thanks for bringing this back to the top, TheMartialWay.

Have a nice day and stay sharp.

defiant

------------------
God made man short and tall.
Samuel Colt made them equal.

Any time, defiant. I am glad you got a good reply. Let us know if you are successfull. Take care.

------------------
Louis Buccellato
http://www.themartialway.com
Knives, Weapons and equipment. Best prices anywhere.
-------------

"only the paranoid will survive"

Back