1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

KH 3 Chirra vs. HI Villager CAK, BoneCutter for Deadwood

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by JayGoliath, Jul 19, 2010.

1. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Howdie,

As mentioned in cheftothestars's concern of WHICH COMPANY in Cantina, Cotherion and I might be able to provide a little insight on this.(All 3 khuks belongs to Cotherion.)

The Challenger:
    Standing at 16-16.5",weighing at 40.5 Oz,3 chirra(The Beast) from Khukuri House!
    Now put your hands up for our home-breds:
    Standing tall at 15"and scaled at 29 ounce, villager fit and finish Chiruwa Ang Khola by Murali Kami, clad in Dhar wood handle.
    A mirror finish 12" Bonecutter with Paracord as D-guard handle.(weight to be updated...)

Gentleman, unleash your Gorkhali !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the 3rd pic, you could see that the depth of chop Bonecutter inflicted is the deepest amongst all. Despite the fact it has a thinnest spine (0.9cm) and lightest blade, 12" managed to outscore both giants in the field of chopping.
    Not to mention the chopping is quite addicting, you just want to keep going.:thumbup:;)
    Despite the full tang construction, little impact felt through CAK on the wrist and handle whilst chopping.At 1/2" thick, CAK is a wonderful tool for camping.
    The smooth Dhar handle has better grip than those with the ring. I was wearing a leather glove so i might not feel much but i felt less play.
    3 chirra has wonderful wavy chirras and a gigantic handle which I couldn't secure a grip completely.
    At 40.5 Oz,3 Chirra is heavy for continuous chopping and you could feel the "springing noise" along the fullers. However it was difficult to maintain a uniform chop. Compared with CAK, 3 chirra is 1.1cm thick, 0.9cm at the fullers.

Some pics for Villager CAK. It took 2 chops to get to 2/3 of the 3" diameter of dead branch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please provide your inputs. I know Cotherion can't wait to read this.

Review part 2 coming soon. Now let me find myself some good Bonecutter or Ganga Ram.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. Cotherion

Cotherion

Aug 7, 2007
    :) My little one did good :)

3. bushflyr

bushflyr

May 26, 2001
    Nice pix, but I think you need to be a little more uniform in your methodology. eg. Number of chops to get through a 3" branch, time to get through a 6" log, deepest groove in x time, or some such.

4. stickfred

stickfred

Nov 6, 2009
    Thanks for the photos and commentary, JayG. The 3Chirra was one I was contemplating in my planning stages toward khukuridom. After seeing your post, I'm glad I passed on it.

5. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    As this contains non H.I. product....to be fair, it must go in the Cantina.
    I will also add it to the "reviews" section.

6. DanSmithy

DanSmithy

Jul 19, 2010
    Great Pics!

Perhaps the Bonecutter was easier to control to achieve better cuts..
    or I'm getting it wrong...again -:)

7. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    I'm sorry Mod. Karda, many thanks.

bushflyr, i will update on that.

This wood log is HARD. by the time you got past the skin, chopping through was just like pounding through a solid piece of flat steel.
    The surprising thing was, Bonecutter was slicing through and a girl pal of mine with smaller hand enjoyed using it. She was the one who made the cut.
    It's giving a feel that you want to finish the cut.

If the 3chirra is a little longer, maybe the sweet spot is easier to find. I found the handle too large and slippery (polished finish).

I would like to think that BoneCutter has a forward curving profile (just like 18th Century, M-43, Ganga Ram, instead of an angle) that eats wood and remove the chips away from the chop and it's easier to make V-cut.
    Both CAK and 3 chirra were slicing on the same spot but not making any progression on depth.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  8. Cotherion

Cotherion

Aug 7, 2007
    Yeah I was a bit worried about that, since the tin chirra isn't a HI.

But the reason I asked Jay to review for me is because I wanted him to confirm what I guessed, that HI is better than KH of even larger size.

I got the KH first, this one and a small Panawal (small Chiruwa AK as it's called) before I got my HI. After getting my HI, I ain't going back! Recently I got a McCurdy but I didn't let Jay review it because it was frankly significantly inferior to my HI.

Honestly, the Dharwood CAK I got recently is the pride and joy of my collection. Everything, just everything about it is just perfect! I'm frankly in love with it and I'm sticking with 15 inches as my ideal length from now on because of my CAK.

The Bonecutter from the start gave me the impression it is more than it's size, Jay confirmed for me.

Though Jay did not particularly have a standard methodlogy, like how deep it will sink per strike, I was only interested in how much of a groove/depth-of-chops one can make with the same energy before one is tired. Even got a pretty looking, petite lass to test it.

If my little Bonecutter could make that groove/depth while in the hands of a petite pretty lass :) while Jay failed to equal with a KH khuk double it's weight, I consider the point of this review achieved.

If ever I'm going camping, my Bonecutter is gonna be my choice, if I feel extremely proud of it :cool:

9. Cotherion

Cotherion

Aug 7, 2007
    I mean, come on, look at the difference in depth! I'm getting another Bonecutter, around 15 inches.

Anyone got a Sgt Khadka Bonecutter or Murali (around 15 inches give or take 1 inch) that they wanna be relieved of? :)