ki5401a2 weak detent

Discussion in 'Kizer Cutlery' started by sharp_edge, Aug 14, 2015.

1. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Dear BFers,

I am not sure if this is normal, but my ki5401a2 seems to have a weak detent. Basically I cannot flip it open without using a wrist flick (if I only use the flipper, the blade just open partially, definitely wont lock). I tried tricks like bending the lockbar a bit to the blade side but it doesnt help. Comparing it with other flippers, I do find the detent ball does not sit as tight in the hole. Could this be the cause? Did anyone else experience the same issue with this model? any suggestion on fixing the issue is appreciated.

I would like to add that other than this issue, I enjoy this big and beefy knife very much.

2. SharpDressedKnives

SharpDressedKnives

May 23, 2015
    I have a 401x (basically the 3.5" version of yours) and it also has a weak detent. When I received the knife, I couldn't get it to open without serious wrist flick. I opened and closed the blade thousands of times to get the ceramic detent ball to wear I nice little track in the stonewash. Then I went to work on the pivot. The thick, phosphor bronze washers take a really nice polish and with some lube, the blade opens very smoothly. There's no "fires like a rocket" about the knife and that's ok. I like to see how slowly I can push the flipper and still get the blade to meander out and lock open.

The new generation of Kizers seems to have stronger detents. I missed the first round of Geminis, but hopefully soon I'll be able to pick one up soon and make the comparison.