Kids first knife

Hello All,
Since I got into the knife-collecting phase lately, my kids are asking for a knife for Christmas. Mine was a Boy Scout knife, fixed blade and I still have that. I was wondering what others may have come across that would be a good all-round knife. My girls are 9 and 11. There's always the little swiss army but I'm always looking for interesting items that are unique. Thanks.
-Greg

In my opinion, for little people, nothing on earth is more interesting than a Swiss Army knife.

If Mora fashion is available in the states it would be a great choice,
the tip is rounded off and you get a great protection for the small fingers with its large fingerguard.
In sweden it's marketed as a first (scout-)knife.

N-EX0001722-271_0.jpeg

Victorinox is the choice. I suggest a Tinker (I doubt they need a corkscrew ?), so the phillips would be more useful.
Rich

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest a lock blade folder with a blade of 3-inches or less, and a steel that is easy to sharpen - as they will need to learn that skill as well.

I appreciate the input. I found this model while looking at the Tinker. Interesting concept.

[video=youtube;x6aMVowlHJc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6aMVowlHJc[/video]

This is the one I'm getting my son for Christmas because he's always inquiring about "dada's SHARP knifes";

But he is only turning 3 in January, so...
(Theo Kline swiss army knife toy)

Needless to say I'm a fan of swiss army's for a kids first knife, something like a tinker or a mechanic...
*(when he's old enough for his first "sharp knife" I already have his great-grandfather's Barlow in waiting)...

Benchmade 555HG Mini Griptilians. They come in pretty colors if the girls like that. Pink, light blue, yellow.

get em a mora and a swiss army knife each. aint a damn thing dealing with knives you cant show em to do with those two. plus its something thatll last them many years

Dad bought me a buck 110 when I was a kid, and I carried it every time Inwas on the boat or in the field, and then it lived on my belt while I was in the Army... More for nostalgias sake than anything.

This is the one I'm getting my son for Christmas because he's always inquiring about "dada's SHARP knifes";

But he is only turning 3 in January, so...
(Theo Kline swiss army knife toy)

Needless to say I'm a fan of swiss army's for a kids first knife, something like a tinker or a mechanic...
*(when he's old enough for his first "sharp knife" I already have his great-grandfather's Barlow in waiting)...
That's awesome! My 3 year old is always interested in Dads "sharps"

I think most folk my age started with a 4 blade boy scout knife or a (then plentiful) Camillus 4 blade army "demo"/utility knife.
40 - 50 years later, they are still a good choice for a first knife.
You may also want to consider a Barlow or canoe.

My first fixed blade was a surplus "Jet Pilot Survival" knife (Ontario 499).
It and the Camillus went on many a camping and hunting trip ... fishing trips too, come to think of it.

I don't know what the social ramifications would be these days for a young-un to have a "Jet Pilot Survival" knife on their belt, though. My uneducated guess would be along the lines of "not good." The world has changed quite a bit since I was young, and the changes are not for the better, in my opinion.

When I was 5, my Dad gave me a nice little boy scout knife by Western that I still have (45 years later). Believe it or not, I have a seven year-old daughter who's getting a pink, stainless Mora for her first knife this Christmas. Swiss Army knives (Victorinox) are awesome--I've been carrying one since I was twelve--but I fear folders for younger children due to the possibility of closing on little fingers.

Back