Kifaru Koala for short impromptu hikes or fishing

LMT66

Gold Member
Photobucket dump.........

Last edited:
Good review. I know Hill People Gear did some work with Kifaru on this type of bag. Their Kit Bag is a little smaller, however the Koala is a little more functional and versatile…for me, it was just a tad too big to wear on the chest. For me, the CCW access is one of the more functional areas when backpacking with a full pack.

I do like the lumbar option of the Koala. If you do any rock scrambling or bouldering, it would be nice to swing that pack to your backside; regardless, these would make great canoe/kayak kits to keep your essentials handy and secure.

HPG’s Kit Bag (cousin to the Kifaru Koala):

KitBag-2.jpg

KitBag-1.jpg

KitBag-4.jpg

KitBag-3.jpg

KitBag-5.jpg

KitBag-6.jpg

ROCK6

Good review. I know Hill People Gear did some work with Kifaru on this type of bag. Their Kit Bag is a little smaller, however the Koala is a little more functional and versatile…for me, it was just a tad too big to wear on the chest. For me, the CCW access is one of the more functional areas when backpacking with a full pack.

I do like the lumbar option of the Koala. If you do any rock scrambling or bouldering, it would be nice to swing that pack to your backside; regardless, these would make great canoe/kayak kits to keep your essentials handy and secure.

HPG’s Kit Bag (cousin to the Kifaru Koala):

KitBag-2.jpg

ROCK6

I was reading about the HPG over on another forum a week or so ago. Interesting reading about who/what/when. I have one on it's way as we read. Looks like my perfect chest pack!

I was reading about the HPG over on another forum a week or so ago. Interesting reading about who/what/when. I have one on it's way as we read. Looks like my perfect chest pack!

Yeah, I was torn at first since I was considering the Koala, which is more more versatile but just too big for what I needed. I already have a couple of Scouts which serve as lumbar/smaller backpacks, what I needed was something smaller that would integrate with a full sized backpack, allow me to conceal my pistol and remain with me for day-hikes from camp or as I scramble down ravines or through small streams for fly fishing.

The Koala is a tad bigger which would allow you to carry a more substantial shelter and water bottle. Right now, I'm considering a simple, compact emergency foil blanket and a collapsible Platypus bottle with a compact Aqua Mira water filter. It's not a comprehensive survival set up, but a good start on a system. I am interested to see how the Koala works out and different carrying methods...

ROCK6

The HPG chest rig arrived! This thing is awesome! Nice slim design but holds everything you need frequent access to without having to take off your pack. I like that it can be attached to a pack that offers shoulder lift or worn independent of a pack.

Last edited:
That looks great LMT! HPG's bags really do integrat well with other packs. I wear it as a stand-alone and just throw a pack on over it with no issues. If you decide to carry concealed, I think your bag should have the small 550-cord loop in the bottom left of the back compartment. I had to sew one in, but it works great with a simple kydex trigger guard system (Vanguard I think)...serves as extra protection around the trigger guard and also extra retention if you take a tumple and the pouch is open.

I like the "slick" sides. As much as I love MOLLE webbing, it often temps me to add smaller admin pouches...the HPG bags keep you disciplined to pack your immediate essentials.

I've done a few hikes with packs so far as well as driving my truck with it on. I need to get out on the water next...

ROCK6

Great post LMT66! I'm afraid it is going to cost me some money though. ;)

What pouches do you have mounted on the sides of your TAD bottle holder? And how is the color match of the HPG, TAD, and those pouches with the Kifaru pack? Foliage right?

Great post LMT66! I'm afraid it is going to cost me some money though. ;)

What pouches do you have mounted on the sides of your TAD bottle holder? And how is the color match of the HPG, TAD, and those pouches with the Kifaru pack? Foliage right?

The pouches are made by Tad Gear. I can't recall the model # but they are out of stock (and not shown) on Tad's website. When restocked, the will show up. It's the only pouch like that that they make so you'll know when you see it.
The HPG and Tad foliage material I have are exact matches. The Kifaru Zulu's is just a hint darker and more green but very close to the others. The difference is barely noticeable to the eye.

Thanks LMT. I also checked Tad's website and didn't see them there. I thought maybe they were Maxpedition.

Tad Recon pouches are the side pouches on the water bottle kit.

@ rock 6 or LMT 66 -

First off, thanks for posting the photos of these 2 excellent rigs tricked out with gear so we can get an idea of how we could use them.

Can the HPG kit bag be easily rigged to attach to a waist belt or rigged as a shoulder strap carry (i.e. man purse ;)) ? As optional modes of carry...

I like the HPG version better because it is sans-MOLLE, and looks less conspicous. I also sems right-sized, not too big not too small. I think this would be the perfect rig for CCing a full-sized handgun & outdoor essentials whilst either backpacking or cycling. I prefer to carry a full-sized handgun when in the outdoors as opposed to the sub-compact I EDC. (Looks like my GLOCK 21SF or a 1911 would fit nicely - thanks to ROCK 6's comparison photo of his GLOCK 19? or 23?) Also, not having to attach some sort of pouch to the backpack and or allow me to use a bare-bones camelback hydration system while cycling would be nice too. I don't like having to swap my hand gun from backpack hip belt to my belt everytime I take it off. I am also not the biggest fan of shoulder holsters (which are the most comfortable for CC while cycling) because you have to wear a vest or something over them & can't just get away with just a single layer of one t-shirt on hotter days. The mesh backing on the HPG kitbag seems like it would be really cool & comfortable whilst backpacking or cycling.

Thanks!

Thanks to LMT66 and ROCK6 for sharing the descriptions and photographs on these two excellent packs. I think both of them are really well thought out pieces of gear but for my purposes, the HPG Kit Bag is in the crosshairs. :D

A Ritter Orange RSK MK1 to go with my Mini-in-Yellow and the HPG Kit Bag are going to be the major summer purchases.

Back