"Killa B" questions

in a semi-unfortunate turn of events I traded off the best
camp knife I've ever owned in order puchase my wife's Christmas
present. The bad news was that I REALLY REALLY like the knife
BK&T Campanion) The good news is that I've got her full blessing
to replace it and I'm leaning towards a Busse based on the bullet
proof reputation they have, and the fact that it would cut a few ounces when backpacking. (firm believer in the adage that if I can take care of the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves) I'd mainly be carrying the knife for hiking, canoeing, mountain biking, and general outdoor use. maybe use it to clean a moose, bear or caribou in a pinch.

Anyways, I recently stumbled across an ad for the "Killa B" in one of the knife magazines and it looks PERFECT!! the right blade style, size, the INFI steel, warranty,etc. seems like just what I want in a camp knife, but I do have a few questions about it.

is the cord wrapping waterproofed, weather proof, etc? if it isn't that way from the factory, how would I make it that way myself? Looks like it would be a real bearcat to get rewrapped if I ever let it unwrap.

What is the difference between "INFI steel" and "Modified INFI steel?"

In the ad I saw there was a reference to "Sheath options available" I've been able to ascertain that there is no sheath included with the knife, at that price, are there factory sheathes available, or is it pretty much up to me to find/make/have made a sheath that suits my desires once I get the knife in my greedy lil' paws?

It's looking like I'll get to go factory direct to get this one, so is this a knife that has a long wait going on for it?

Edited to add one more question: with the reputation for
holding an edge that INFI steel has, how much of a pain in the
A$$ would it be to resharpen it in the field?

And finally, how does this one compare to the Basic #5? All opinions, experiences,etc. would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Runs With Scissors
Is the cord wrapping waterproofed, weather proof, etc? if it isn't that way from the factory, how would I make it that way myself? Looks like it would be a real bearcat to get rewrapped if I ever let it unwrap.

The cord wrapping is treated with a clear epoxy or other strong glue, I believe. That significantly increases its durability. Plus, if you ever cut it off, you could probably just send it in to the shop for a re-wrap.

What is the difference between "INFI steel" and "Modified INFI steel?"

INFI steel is the steel used in the Busse Combat Grade of knives (the Battle Mistress and the Killer B, for example), and it is slightly superior to M-INFI, which is used in the Busse Combat Basics (like the Basic #5 you mentioned). Both of these steels are simply awesome, but INFI is slightly better than M-INFI.

In the ad I saw there was a reference to "Sheath options available" I've been able to ascertain that there is no sheath included with the knife, at that price, are there factory sheathes available, or is it pretty much up to me to find/make/have made a sheath that suits my desires once I get the knife in my greedy lil' paws?

Like you said, I don't believe the Killer B comes with a sheath. I'm pretty sure, however, that sheaths can be bought directly from Busse Combat. Probably a kydex rig, maybe a kydex-lined cordura, or maybe even a Kenny Rowe leather sheath (or all three, who knows. But I'm pretty sure atleast one sheath is available direct from Busse Combat). The great thing about cutting the price a bit and not including a sheath is that you can, if you please, get one made from a custom sheath maker, like, say, Normark, and get it made the way you want. Or, you could go with a Busse Combat sheath. You've got options! :D

It's looking like I'll get to go factory direct to get this one, so is this a knife that has a long wait going on for it?

I'm not sure. Military orders have got first priority right now, so it may take a little more time than usual. Your best bet is to call the Busse Shop and ask them (their number is on the Busse Combat website).

Edited to add one more question: with the reputation for
holding an edge that INFI steel has, how much of a pain in the
A$$ would it be to resharpen it in the field?

In my experience, INFI has been quite easy to sharpen. All you need to bring along is a ceramic rod. And yes, it sure does hold an edge!

And finally, how does this one compare to the Basic #5? All opinions, experiences,etc. would be immensely appreciated.

Well, the Killer B is INFI, the Basic #5 is M-INFI, handle comfort is subjective, I guess, and the Basic #5 is a bit bigger than the Killer B. The Basic #5 should be a bit better as a slicer due to the height of its grind, but won't penetrate as well as the Killer B (probably). It's just up to you. As a camp knife, I would probably go with the Basic #5. It seems to have a better belly, and a higher grind. But, as I said, it's mainly personal preference, so don't let me change your choice.

Whatever knife you go with, as long as it's a Busse, you can't go wrong :D !

I don't know what more I can add to Andrew's answer he seems to have covered everything.;) What I will say though, is that I spoke to Jerry Thursday night/Friday Morning ;) (man he works late) and he stated that they are almost caught up on all their current Combat Grade orders. The only knives still a little behind are ones with the Satin Finish. Barring any equipment trouble or large Military orders that are unforeseen, any order you place now will probably be filled fairly quickly.

Of course if you want to check out other Busses you might want to see if there is show nearby that Busse will be attending. I guarantee once you handle a few you will be leaving with one. ;)

BTW, Good to see a new face on the Busse Forum. :D:D

Edited to add, I now see you are from Alaska which might negate the possibility of seeing Busse Knives at a Show. :D

Let us know what you choose.

Just wanted to say thanks for the welcome and for answering my plethora of questions. After doing all my homework, I know I'm gonna HAVE to own one of these things by the time break-up gets here. I'll let y'all know what I wind up dragging home soon as I decide WHICH Busse and sacrifice a couple of folding knives to the cause. Hope y'all have a good 'un!

Back