Recommendation? Kiln Thermocouple Problem

Hello everyone , so as many recommended here , I sourced my parts from auberins , got a high temp thermocouple , the unit is assembled and ready however we did a test on a mini kiln imitation , the thing heated up quickly and the temp gauge showed about 300 degrees C while the pid was only going up very slow and went from 75C to 80C in that time , then we checked on second unit which has local cheapo parts and in same time it went up in seconds , with the speed that the thermometer showed the pid was showing exactly the same, so is there something wrong with my thermocouple or do I need to program sensitivity on pid or what do I do ? Thanks

correction , I heated up the thermocouple with a torch now and it didnt raise more then 5 degrees , something is wrong , what can be the issue?

Sounds like you got a wiring issue with the thermocouple. If it’s wired backwards the temp will drop not go up. But if your not getting any temp at all then so thing else is wrong. You dont have it wired up as an RTD do you?

S
ounds like you got a wiring issue with the thermocouple. If it’s wired backwards the temp will drop not go up. But if your not getting any temp at all then so thing else is wrong. You dont have it wired up as an RTD do you?
Heres a video I just filmed so maybe you can see whats wrong

You don't show the thermocouple in the video. Also, the wiring is the wrong type. You need type K thermocouple wire for a type K thermocouple. The wire is polarized as is the thermocouple. All wires between the thermocouple and the PID need to be the correct type.

However, your statement that the PID didn't change much when the TC was heated shows that either something is wrong with the setup, or the TC is bad. I would try another TC and see what happens. Other possible issues are the PID programming may be wrong.

548de6b61017.jpg
ca3db450a779.jpg

Thanks for your reply , here’s the k type thermocouple, since there are no wire extensions the only wire that is connecting the tc to the pid is the one which it had from the beginning, yes when I go to the guy second time I’ll take it and we will see if other tc works, also I’m thinking maybe it’s something with programming ? Maybe I need to reset settings or put in manual ? I have no idea how this works , watched their video and read instructions but it only tells how to change what setting , not what setting does what.

You don't show the thermocouple in the video. Also, the wiring is the wrong type. You need type K thermocouple wire for a type K thermocouple. The wire is polarized as is the thermocouple. All wires between the thermocouple and the PID need to be the correct type.

However, your statement that the PID didn't change much when the TC was heated shows that either something is wrong with the setup, or the TC is bad. I would try another TC and see what happens. Other possible issues are the PID programming may be wrong.

I would check and re-check all your connections to make sure they are right. When I re-did my forge at the beginning of the year(https://bladeforums.com/threads/pid-forge-upgrade-videos-added.1703702/), I had difficulties that lasted until I re-checked the wiring the 4th or 5th time before realizing I had one of the connections wrong. I'm not sure what PID controller you have, but the one I got from Auberins doesn't have any programming that needs to be done.
Also, if it's possible, give Auberins a call (not sure how much a call from Tiblisi to Alpharetta, Georgia is. Would that be an in-state call;)?). Their tech support, both over the phone and through e-mail was pretty good and helped a lot in my learning about their units.

Do I see that there are spade connectors on the end of your TC wire going into the pid. I that was so thing you added those need to be removed. Thermocouples are very sensitive as thy generate very small amount of micro volts. Any dissimilar metal connections between the thermocouple and the pid will cause problems. This is because a thermo couple is nothing more then 2 dissimilar metals joined at the end. If you take some thermocouple wire (type k is red and yellow) and strip the ends of the wire and twist them together you have no made a thermo couple. I actually use this for doing quick tests of pid controllers when setting them up. Thy just want to see a temp signal.

That looks like a low temp thermocouple. It may be only good to around 200-500C/300-900F.
It won't work for a kiln or with flame. It would be OK for a tempering oven. If it is the 1100C/2000F type, it will work in an electric HT oven.

Last edited:
OK, I edited my response. It looked like the lower temp type.
The one you linked would work for an electric HT oven, but will not work with flame in a forge.

Yes I’m making an electric hot oven it’s a high temp tc.
Contacted Auberins and explained everything and showed them and they said it may be a defected tc , I have to put on a different one and check if it’s working and if that’s the case then we are good , they didn’t see anything wrong with cables and the programming is right

The kiln is finished and the thermocouple was bad, they send me new one but I got better one made locally from very thick wires made to last forever , didnt have chance to try it yet.

I made mine me self watching YT videos, worked fine for a bit then the coils stopped heating

Hey mate I am having problems setting up my electric kiln, can you help me out please, I am using REXC100 PID, 2500W heating element, SSR 40 0-32DCV and a LED transformer 20-40DCV....it gets going for a few minutes but then the heating elements stop heating my email is renchasfresh12@gmail.com

Do I see that there are spade connectors on the end of your TC wire going into the pid. I that was so thing you added those need to be removed. Thermocouples are very sensitive as thy generate very small amount of micro volts. Any dissimilar metal connections between the thermocouple and the pid will cause problems. This is because a thermo couple is nothing more then 2 dissimilar metals joined at the end. If you take some thermocouple wire (type k is red and yellow) and strip the ends of the wire and twist them together you have no made a thermo couple. I actually use this for doing quick tests of pid controllers when setting them up. Thy just want to see a temp signal.
Hey mate I am having problems setting up my electric kiln, can you help me out please, I am using REXC100 PID, 2500W heating element, SSR 40 0-32DCV and a LED transformer 20-40DCV....it gets going for a few minutes but then the heating elements stop heating my email is renchasfresh12@gmail.com

Back