Kind thoughts requested.

james terrio

Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket
A man I consider a friend and a mentor is having surgery today. It will most likely be fairly routine, and has a very high likelihood of a successful outcome, but I thought I would mention it just the same. He will probably not be super-thrilled that I'm posting this all over, but... sorry man, I think it bears sharing. Forgive me if I've infringed upon your privacy.

Ethan Becker has done a great deal for the knife biz, both as a designer and behind-the-scenes, supporting Knife Rights and encouraging new makers. He is a teacher by nature, and a Renaissance man if there ever was one. He has opened his home to, and sponsored gatherings across the country and even in other countries, that not only brought like-minded people together for a fun weekend, but foster a furtherance of knowledge and skills that you just can't get from reading a book or surfing the web.

Nevermind that actor in the cerveza commercials, Ethan is by far the most interesting man I know. Please think a kind thought, say a prayer, send up smoke, whatever suits you, for him today and the next few days.

There are many, many fascinating and exemplary humans like him, who have worked their behinds off to make what we knifemakers do not only possible by sharing their knowledge and research, but also to make it viable as a career by helping to create and develop a market for our work. That's really rare these days, and we owe them all a huge debt that can never really be re-paid.

Let's take a moment to remember that these passionate and generous people are not just the giants on whose shoulders we stand, but also regular folks like us. :)

Prayers sent.

I also have a good friend having surgery today. His prognosis isn't as rosy. He had been battling leg circulation problems for over a couple years ( diabetic related problems). He has hade 10 or more "necrotic tissue removal" surgeries, plus stents, vein grafts, hyperbaric chamber, etc. The wounds won't heal and circulation will not restore. His leg has had no blood flow for nearly a week. I think we all know what the surgery will end up being. The worry is if the new (quite major) wound will heal well.
Secondary problem is his whole body/circulatory system is just worn out. There is an unfortunate possibility that his heart might not survive the surgery and/or recovery.
Third is he is personally just worn out. He has been strong for a long time, but is just ready for it all to be over. I haven't asked, but I would bet he has signed a DNR.
I ask prayers for him.

A prognosis like that that is serious business.

Prayers and kind thoughts for all in need, indeed.

Praying for your friends James and Stacy. Good mentors are a huge blessing and not always easy to find.

No matter what the procedure is, it can't hurt to have him in our thoughts and prayers.

I hope Mr Becker does well in his surgery.

My friend came through OK. They put an artificial artery in his leg to get blood to the lower part. He says he can feel the difference already. Prayers that it doesn't reject and the wound heals.

Different situation:

last night, I went over to another old friend who had stage 4 colono-rectal cancer two years ago. He had massive chemo and radiation, and has done OK for the past year with the exception of bad neuropathy in his hands and feet from the chemo. He turns 57 next Monday.... yesterday afternoon he found out the cancer is back in his lungs, stomach, and many other places. We talked a long time on the deck over a few beers. He is a practical person, and knows what this means. We made some plans for things he has been putting off, and I will be there with him to help as he gets worse. At this point, he hasn't decided whether he will do radiation again, but definitely not chemo. All anyone can do is be there for him and say a prayer.

I'm getting in a little late but wanted to say I am praying for both of these fellas and their friends and families. These are the type things that we all struggle to explain. We will never know why these type things happen to great people. I don't know either of these guys personally but almost everyone can relate to watching the health of a loved one decline. All we can do is support them and encourage them to keep on fighting. God bless y'all and your families.

Back