Kit bags???

I bought a "soft" tackle bag to use for my vehicle kit. I liked it because it's got plastic or something over the nylon so it seems it would take some scraping and sliding abuse without getting fuzzy or anything. I have a good sized first aid kit,and with the add ons (hot and cold pads, ace bandage, etc) everything won't fit in the bag. I am seriously thinking about having my girlfriend help me make a custom kit bag with detachable areas. Oh, I am not concerned rightnow about reducing the size of the contents of my kit. I am fine with the weight, and what I have in the bags.

So I was curious, what you guys use?? Do any of you have custom bags, have you customized manufactured bags, or do you just buy something and use it as is?? And why do you carry stuff the way you do?

I guess you could call mine custom, I made it, but its not the size I want( only had so much material) I'm also looking for something bigger, or i'll just go to walmart and some material.

What you have is fine. Since it will be sitting in your car most of the time, I couldn't see dropping too big a dime on one. I use an old ALICE pack and an old bat bag that my son outgrew.

Yeah, the easiest thing will be to just keep the two bags I have. I was thinking of putting them in a stuff sack together, so everything is in the same package and I don't have to worry about losing part of the kit. Plus, this way I can just take the first aid kit out for when I go hiking and such.

There are so many options for ways to carry stuff, a person could drive themselves batty trying to compare 'em all. I tend to stick to military-surplus type stuff, becauses it's generally real simple and rugged.

I think you're 100% on-track about keeping 1st-aid stuff in its own bag... modular is the way to go, in my opinion. Shelter-type stuff in another pouch... stout folder, multi-tool, and a whetstone in another pouch... etc. As you said, mix-n-match 'em as you need to. To be honest, each of those small kits, in a brown paper grocery bag in the hallway closet or in your trunk, would probably serve you pretty well. A web belt, buttpack, canteen/cup/cover and 2 or 3 M16 pouches will carry just about all you can think of for a weekend.

I'm sold on the medium-size, aluminum-framed ALICE packs if you're going mobile or looking to lay low for a weekend, week, or more. I swear you could live out of one of these things. They carry a lot of gear, the 3 outside pockets can carry all your tools, fun gizmos and survival needs, while the main part holds a couple changes of clothes, double socks, some vittles, and a map pocket for, well, maps... and some kind of morale-booster.
P.S. don't be a cheap bastard, get the proper frame, straps and lumbar-strap thing with the pack. They make a world of difference in how much you can carry, comfortably.

There are so many options for ways to carry stuff, a person could drive themselves batty trying to compare 'em all. I tend to stick to military-surplus type stuff, becauses it's generally real simple and rugged.

I think you're 100% on-track about keeping 1st-aid stuff in its own bag... modular is the way to go, in my opinion. Shelter-type stuff in another pouch... stout folder, multi-tool, and a whetstone in another pouch... etc. As you said, mix-n-match 'em as you need to. To be honest, each of those small kits, in a brown paper grocery bag in the hallway closet or in your trunk, would probably serve you pretty well. A web belt, buttpack, canteen/cup/cover and 2 or 3 M16 pouches will carry just about all you can think of for a weekend.

I'm sold on the medium-size, aluminum-framed ALICE packs if you're going mobile or looking to lay low for a weekend, week, or more. I swear you could live out of one of these things. They carry a lot of gear, the 3 outside pockets can carry all your tools, fun gizmos and survival needs, while the main part holds a couple changes of clothes, double socks, some vittles, and a map pocket for, well, maps... and some kind of morale-booster.
P.S. don't be a cheap bastard, get the proper frame, straps and lumbar-strap thing with the pack. They make a world of difference in how much you can carry, comfortably.

Thanks for the input Gibsonfan. I completely agree on going modular. I do like the idea of having everything all together while it sits in the car, or is being transported to or from the vehicle. Once out "in the field" just grabbing what I need will be the way to go.

I guess what I was talking about with making something custom was getting the couple different bags/pouches/whatever to connect together to be more easily carried if everything is needed. That might be a fun project to work on, but of course that can be accomplished with a medium sized pack or smaller. I like the alice packs a lot. I'll have to order something because the few surplus stores by me have gone out of business. :grumpy: I'm good to go with what I have for now, I just like planning out the next evolution, as it were. :)

I like the idea of the grocery bags. Those things are sturdier than they look. I have a butt pack type pack I am going to put through its paces for hiking. It has a nice wide belt with some padding, mesh pockets on either side for nalgene bottles (although I have canteen/cup combos as well) and a fairly good sized compartment that will fit a couple light jackets, or anything that will take up the same space.

While I think some things you can skimp on, back support is not one of them. If I ever get a pack like you are talking about, it will HAVE to be comfortable and sturdy.

I don't know about you survival guys, but I really enjoy going to my local A/N Surplus stores. I've got three biguns nearby, so I'm lucky. Brigade Quartermasters is right up the road. For BOB bags I go to the -not so nice- one and get heavy canvas stuff. Alice packs are great. Also there are a plethora of army mechanics toolbags in old heavy canvas. Those web belts with the M-16 pouches are an excellent choice for modular carry, and can be worn in addition to the alice pack. Makes for a cool lunch break.

Aside -- those surplus stores are where I get my Carhartt gear too. Can't beat a Carhartt belt.

aproy1101,
Same here, first thing I do is go on expedition to the MilSurplus store and root around.

Right now, for my medium kit, I'm using an old euro-gas mask bag. I'm going to make a nice 2 inch wide webstrap shoulder strap for it. It was used, and has that faded look, very discrete. Holds the smaller PSK, a set of redundant gear, as well as rope, tube tent, poncho, GPS unit, etc. etc.

After packing the minimalist PSK, moving up to the next size feels like having a 50 gallon drum to fill. ;)

The MilSurplus stores carry new & used, and usually a lot of different configurations. My gas mask bag was around $9.99.

One thing we do for our FAK (first aid kit) is use a multi tray Plano tackle box, the one where you can configure the size of the trays. Sure makes organizing the different size bandage sizes, ointment tubes and such.

It keeps things in order and can get knocked around without damaging what's inside. We found a good supplied FAK is something that will always be used. Best to stock your own, Wal-MAat has a good selection of Band-Aids, Triple anti-biotic ointment etc. under their Equate brand.

Check your local flea market for the tackle box.

This is my vehicle kit from my last inventory last month. I was checking things for the upcoming winter driving season.

As you can see, there is nothing fancy. The newest item is a MOLLE pack from Cheaper Than Dirt. It has 5 pockets and is MOLLE compatible so you can add on to it very easily. It's not very expensive and it's been a sturdy travel bag.

win_edc_chevy.jpg

Aside -- those surplus stores are where I get my Carhartt gear too. Can't beat a Carhartt belt.

I've never had any Carhartt stuff. Is that belt like a pistol belt, or alice belt?

I would LOVE to go rooting around in surplus stores. There aren't any around me anymore though. :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

I hate having to wait for stuff ordered online, plus with shipping most of the time you don't really save anyhting anyway.

Yeah, I like surplus stores as well. I can remember as a kid, my dad would take me to the town surplus store and as we walked into the building, there were barrels with Garands and M1 carbines stuffed into them. Rows and rows of shelves with nothing but boxes of knives and ammo, along with all the cool stuff they used to carry like bomb sights, radios, etc.

Ours here used to be a good one. Actually, when I say here, I mean it's only a 35 mile drive to get there and the last few years, they've become a mecca for paint ball enthusiasts, so they carry nothing but the cheap Chinese replica uniforms, knives, packs, etc.

I like to use a large lumbar but pack or web gear for my first aid and survival supplies and put bulkier items (clothes bed roll etc.) in a larger pack this way i can pick am i going for a quick trip or hike or moving out for the long haul.

Check ebay under Molle, they have some interesting pouches for first aid/ survival gear as well as some packs, I think this system may be my next evolution of pack for SAR/BOB pack.

Check ebay under Molle, they have some interesting pouches for first aid/ survival gear as well as some packs, I think this system may be my next evolution of pack for SAR/BOB pack.

Excellent idea Emsresuceguy!! I didn't think to search ebay under molle. I don't own any molle compatible stuf, but I really like the idea behind it. I love the modularity and the convinience of being able to pick and choose what you need for each trip. :D

Back