Kit Knives

First of all I'm not exactly positive that I am posting this in the right place or not.
I am not a maker but I discovered this week that an individual here is buying blades and then putting the handles, guards, etc, on and selling them as if he is making them, including the blades. I talked to him and advised him that he needs to specify that they are kit knives if he is going to sell them. He said that he may do that. I hate to see someone doing this. It is bad for the full or part time makers. Hopefully he will do as I suggested and label them as kit knives.

If he doesn't inform people that these are kit knives then my suggestion is to post this information along with his name everywhere that you possibly can. If this guy wants to hide the fact that his knives start start out as a kit then he has a definite lack of ethics. I have no problem with people selling kit knives as long as they are up front about it.

Edited to remove a couple of words that didn't belong.

Most makers can identify the commonplace kit blades fairly quickly, especially those guys and gals who use the Knife Supply co's websites as leisure reading material !! But many buyers, especially those after the lower-end "customs" or new buyers may not be aware and could get burnt. If such makers don't come clean, they get "outed" eventually anyway. Justice still works occasionally.

As a counterpoint, I just wanted to also point out that many Scandinavian knifemakers use blades made by other makers, or factory-made blades. They will often proudly identify the original blade maker, but some do not. This is a culturally accepted thing and is worth considering.

Jason.

Man, we sure did go thru this kit knife stuff on another forum not too long ago.
FWIW, when you talk about those knives, use lower case (kit). When I see Kit knives, it worries me:) All the knives I make are Kit knives :D
Couldn't agree more with what has been already said

Go to a website that sells these kits, ie Texas Knifemaker's supply, and take a good look at the kits that are offer for sale, that way you'll be able to ID them right away.

Most of the Kit knives that I have seen have been pretty high quality, although one or two werent as sharp as they could have been!!!! :p :eek: :p

I don't believe I've seen any of these knives for sale here - is he selling them here?

Originally posted by lifter4Him
Kit doesnt make a bad knife:D

You are sooo right, Dave! Kit doesn't make a bad knife, he only makes "BAD-ASS" knives! HooooWah!

Bill

Walt2,
Sorry for kind of hijacking your thread. What you posted is serious business and I shouldn't have added my kit Kit humor.

Burchtree,
It's a pun on the kit knife thing. I don't do kit knives, but I do make Kit (Carson) knives:)

I think I've heard of your knives before. . . .:confused: :D

No, I understood the Kit Carson joke, just trying to get back on track. :D

You mean that was a joke??

Sorry Kit, but I know you can't make that many knives. :)

Did this problem ever get resolved? I also found someone (could be the same person) from the forums that had blades for sale that are from TKS. The person doesn't state that he made the blades himself, but he also doesn't say that they're "bought" blades.

I can identify with the Kit vs "kit" thing. I have the same problem with Art vs "art" knives as all of my knives are Art knives while not all of my knives are "art" knives.

Back