Food Kitchen duty

Nice! I love both cucumbers, and squash. Those scales look good on your 10. :thumbsup:

Nice! I love both cucumbers, and squash. Those scales look good on your 10. :thumbsup:
Thanks they are TommyThewho Monterey Bay Chestnut. They're a gift from my wife. I was looking for olivewood but never found any and like the looks of that. They feel good and work in the kydex sheath that I have. That entire knife was gifted to me 1066vik gifted me the knife Falar the Kydex Wife ordered the scales Tek Lok was a gift card from a friend

I have some TommyTheWho's on my Cam edition BK2. He sure does make some nice scales. Mine are Brazilian ironwood. I waited patiently to get some where the scales on both sides matched fairly well:

I cut up a cucumber soaked in vinegar for an hour hit them with a dash of salt and dried them just took them off the dehydrator so I'm going to let him cool and try them in the morning

I do like the BK-5 for a turkey.
I'll endorse anything for fun as long as all the fingers stay attached... but y'all need some real kitchen knives. ๐Ÿ˜…

I use primarily Japanese gyutos in the kitchen along with a petty/paring and a bread knife. I do find that there is some satisfaction beating my BK9 though a tough squash from time to time.

My venerable 14 cut up steak today.

IMG_20210715_181650_compress23.jpg

However, as you can see in the above picture I used a dry rub from Texas, that my boss gifted me from his last vacation there.

I generously covered the steaks with the above concoction and let it sit for 30 min...

When I then put the steaks into the pan, my eyes started watering and I thought this will be interesting...

The ingredients say: Salt, Pepper, Spices...

Here is a question for the Texans: Why in (preferred deity's) name is that so hot๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ Is it normal for a friendly looking dry rub, that you laugh and cry at the same time while eating?

The 14 looks relaxed after cutting up this steak, I on the other hand am still digesting that adventureo_O:D๐Ÿฅต

I've salted, dehyed and vac-packed zucchini and had really good results for later use. Now I'm thinking I need to try some squash before my next adventure.

Came back from a couple days away and pulled a couple pounds of cukes out of the GF's garden. Then she went and harvested a pile of Chinese Broccoli and mustard greens while I pulled a couple pounds of green concord grapes off the arbor at the back of the yard. Got some work to do.... It's pickle season!!

Today the venerable 7 had to cut up quite some onions for the Onion-Leek tart/cake we made.

IMG_20211010_172116_compress41.jpg

Worked way better than I thought it would:)

After cutting the onions + leek were glazing over slowly
IMG_20211010_173616_compress93.jpg

When they were soft, (not brown) add salt, caraway, cream and starch until it's quite stiff.

Put it on the yeast dough and bake in the oven at 200 degree celsius for 30-50min.
IMG_20211010_175049_compress35.jpg

And the result is just great:

IMG_20211010_190213_compress75.jpg

Enjoy with a glass of red wine or "new wine/Federweisser" The 7 is very good at cutting onions, and a great helper in every kitchen:)

Crying time with the 14...

IMG_20220529_192342_compress48.jpgIMG_20220529_192956_compress2.jpgIMG_20220529_193747_compress94.jpg

And now the whole house smells like onions... In 24h the onions are completely dried (at 55 degrees Celsius) and will be good for the next two months...

Back