1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Kitchen Knife Pics

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Sigsog226, Dec 10, 2017.

1. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
  2. palmerdl

palmerdl Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2009
    [​IMG]My kitchen Barkies... except for the Old Hickory used for serious watermelon work.

FOG2 likes this.
  3. coyote-1

coyote-1

Mar 1, 2018
    Hi,

New member here. None of my kitchenware is ‘collectible’, but it is all sharp:

Dang, can’t attach a file and photobucket won’t link anymore. Sooo....

This Xmas we replaced a bunch of old steel with new Henckels Pro in a knifeblock. Not all the knives in the block are new, but it came with four great knives. I know some folks look down their nose at such standard German steel, but it doesn’t chip and sharpens beautifully so I like it.

Also got a dozen Winco SK-12 steak knives, six of which also now reside in that block. A couple restaurants we frequent use these, and they are inexpensive and great.

My old bread knife is an older Macy’s/Henckels thing, flat on one side with the serrations on the other. I’ve found this to be a great knife, and because the serrations are only on one side you can gently sharpen the flat side and it becomes good as new. Makes clean, non-crushed cuts in even delicate breads while having the power to easily handle bagels and crusty loaves.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  4. coyote-1

coyote-1

Mar 1, 2018
    Ok, got it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  5. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    None of mine is either, as far as I know. Sharp is what you want, not necessarily fancy, unless you just want fancy.

Not me. I like the Zwilling Pro line. The slanted bolster makes for a good pinch grip and a fully usable edge that is easy to sharpen, unlike those with full bolsters. I have one of them in my block - 5 1/4" Prep Knife. Their paring knife is another winner. My only complaint about the Zwilling Pro line is the blade profile of the chef's knfe. I like a much flatter profile with less belly.

That chef's knife you have there second from the top in your picture is more to my liking - more the French style than the German.

Nice knives - thanks for sharing with us.

GABaus likes this.
  6. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Agreed, the German stuff is solid. it DOES chip, though. I've repaired a lot of people's Henckels... and my own. But they're about the best price/performance/design value out there. You can pay a lot more, but you start splitting hairs and getting specialized. Which, by the way, I'm all for as a knifemaker. But most non-knife-people who just need (and can appreciate) a couple good kitchen knives should start with the German stuff and probably never need to upgrade.

jc57 likes this.
  7. coyote-1

coyote-1

Mar 1, 2018
    I find myself using the two Santoku mostly. The small one is from the new Pro set; the larger is an older one. My wife loves the new Pro chef knife.
    One lesson I learned with the old steel, which is why we replaced much of it, is to not let the “local knife grinder guy with the grinding truck” anywhere near my cutlery. If you look at that larger Santoku, a full quarter-inch of edge steel is gone. After just a couple sharpenings!! And he never got it truly sharp!

After seeing this, I dug out my old stone and revived that knife.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  8. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    The Germans use that miracle stainless steel that can chip AND roll/flatten all on the same edge even at amazingly low hardness levels. Wow! :p

9. coyote-1

coyote-1

Mar 1, 2018
    :D
    Perhaps Zwillings do chip, but I’ve never managed to accomplish that feat.

10. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    Of my two chefs knives this Erickson is my favorite. 52100 steel. Taking a nice patina.
    [​IMG]

GABaus, Seesteel, The_Machine and 2 others like this.
  11. Phil Indablanc

Phil Indablanc Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Not the best pictures since I was focusing on the steak more than the knife. Absolutely love the 8 inch Bradford chef knife in M390!s[​IMG] [​IMG]

woodysone and FOG2 like this.
  12. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 14, 2017
  13. Arondale

Arondale

Jun 7, 2018
    My Nakiri. Natural hammered instead of machined scallops blade so vegetables don't stick to blade while cutting. Enjoy ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    fullsizeoutput_8b3.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  15. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Love that knife caddy!

GABaus and Seesteel like this.
  16. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    81-SlcoLuLL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  17. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bmurray and KnifeRep like this.
  18. Chop_chop

Chop_chop Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2013
    that foam caddy is perfect

19. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    51F387D6-A171-4F8B-B53D-A684D022AAD7.jpeg Picked these up last weekend at a garage sale, had to have them. Vernco. High carbon. Japan.

20. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    nice score, the angle on those look just right...now i kinda want to make a couple like that....:)