Kitchen knives for my dear old mom

Good crap JT, I can't believe you already have these ready to go! They look great; I've never used a nikiri but I can definitely see/appreciate their usefulness! Looking forward to seeing the final product, which will be tomorrow morning at the rate you're going!

She won't mind using carbon steel?
My mom is used to stainless and I am sometimes surprised that they don't rust :D She takes good care of them but doesn't wipe them leaving the juice on till it is washed.
Those look great JT. I would think that running a belt at 6500 sfpm would affect the belt life, how much?

First off. Most of the knives she has are carbon steel, thy have a nice patina and look good. So I don't really see a problem with the a2 just as long as the other members of the famley take care of them as well. You know I seam to get better belt life when I run faster it seams like. It seams like I strip off less grit then when you go slow. You crank it up to 9000 sfpm and it cuts steel like a light saber. but I don't feel very safe knowing that if the belt broke I would be introuble.

I'm watching this thread very closely, can't wait for more pictures JT. I think it's a very nice gift, when I advance far enough I'm going to try a chef's knife for my Mom too. If it goes well - or eventually when it goes well :) I'd like to do the rest of the set. I appreciate everyone's posts, especially Butch and Tait - wasn't sure which other knives to add to the chef's either.

well I got all the handles profiled out. i got distracted because i had to finish the table rest for my grinder. this allowed me to quickly zip around the profile at 6000 SFPM and bang them out. but i'm about to head home. i have been lucky because the machine i run at work has a kinda long run time so i can work on small stuff like this.

jsut a tip for that veggie knife
a slight arc at the tip is nice for a semi rock cut and a dead flat edge the rest the way to keep it all on the board and completing a full cut on anything under it

Updates....are you kidding ! :eek:
It has beed two weeks. By now JT has moved on to three new projects. ;)
It isn't his fault, he suffers from adult AD......Hey, Look! a Squirrell......:D

Stacy

Updates....are you kidding ! :eek:
It has beed two weeks. By now JT has moved on to three new projects. ;)
It isn't his fault, he suffers from adult AD......Hey, Look! a Squirrell......:D

Stacy

thats not fair stacy som of us have problems.... is taht a deer

Back