Recommendation? Kitchen Knives?

@salmonkiller: Do you think the Shibata gyuto with its thin tip and blade stock can handle a pumpkin?

You can cut hard gourds with high hardness knives with acute bevels, but you'll want one that has a blade that is not too flexy. For Japanese gyutos, this means one that doesn't go too thin at the spine.

The issue with cutting pumpkins, butternut squash, acorn squash and the like is lateral torque on the knife. Because Japanese knives tend to be higher hardness, they are usually more brittle, and that combined with the acute edge bevel angle makes it more likely to chip at the edge from lateral torque when cutting something really hard.

I've cut hard gourds with these knives without damaging them. However, you have to pay attention to cut straight and not to try and steer the blade to avoid lateral stress on the edge. Many people prefer to use a "beater" knife like a Henckels or Wustoff for this type of task.

If your big thing is buying a set, it's hard to beat the ease of just picking up a nicer Henckels or Wustoff set with block.

So I've tried to search the forums but I've yet to find anything about the topic?
I sadly just feel like "kitchen knives" are a totally different ball game than the common edc folder or fixed blade ? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Is there any kitchen knife set you guys recommend?
Or maybe I could buy a block..then purchase a few pairing knives from "company A" then a couple steak knives from "company B" and finish off the block with a nice utility knife from "company C"?
No need to elaborate your suggestions, just simply reply with a brand name and I can research the rest.
Money isn't a issue so go wild.
most of what will be recommended here and on kitchen knife forums is stuff imported from japan. if money is no object, go to the maker's area here and on other forums and look at what is being made. maybe you will find someone nearby and can get a true, made just for you, custom knife. and before you buy, think about what you use in the kitchen. most folks use a small knife and a big knife. no need to buy 8 if you are only going to use 2. or spend big money on the two used everyday and get the use once a month knives from Old Hickory or Walmart.

most of what will be recommended here and on kitchen knife forums is stuff imported from japan. if money is no object, go to the maker's area here and on other forums and look at what is being made. maybe you will find someone nearby and can get a true, made just for you, custom knife. and before you buy, think about what you use in the kitchen. most folks use a small knife and a big knife. no need to buy 8 if you are only going to use 2. or spend big money on the two used everyday and get the use once a month knives from Old Hickory or Walmart.
You make a good point about only using/owning two kitchen knives, but sadly I would like to have a knife block that is a bit fuller than that as I'm a fan of decent steak knives as well.

I feel as if I would be happy with a
-3 1/2" Parer
-4 1/2" Parer
-Bread knife
-6" utility (unless you guys don't think it's necessary?

For an all-around utility, I was shooting for the American Kami M2. Was a week late, color combo that I wanted was no longer available, will have to wait until the next run. That will be paired with the American Kami M15 (paring) and M6 (chef's knife) for my standard kitchen trifecta. In the meantime, I still plan on picking up the Shibata and Saji models recommended earlier, though I may pursue the Saji R2 micarta over the Super Blue micarta. Aquaholicc Aquaholicc : Check out the stainless Damascus work put out by Devin Thomas. Those are my true kitchen grails. I definitely cannot afford a full knife block full of them :(

Last edited:
You make a good point about only using/owning two kitchen knives, but sadly I would like to have a knife block that is a bit fuller than that as I'm a fan of decent steak knives as well.

I feel as if I would be happy with a
-3 1/2" Parer
-4 1/2" Parer
-Bread knife
-6" utility (unless you guys don't think it's necessary?

With the amount of meals I prepare and diversity of proteins and large fruits/veges, I'd be lost in the woods without a 6"+ blade (9" gyuto in my case) in the kitchen. I prefer gyuto over utility.

I just took a quick glance above and saw people talkin about huge gourds n pumpkins n stuff...that's when the wakizashi or katana come out and I'm not kidding. Might as well have some fun with it (I don't make pumpkin often - I only like the seeds).

While there are great kitchen sets I just plan to replace my current kitchen set as my general knife collection grows as many folders and fixed will be well suited both as a Kitchen knife and as an EDC, Hunting, or Camp/Bushcraft Knife

The custom knifemaker's forum on BF convinced me to get something from a knifemaker here. I have a large santoku in the works using .11" AEB-L and pine cone scales. There have been a few very nice looking kitchen knives available and if you have something in mind many of the makers are willing to work on something for you. It seems like some of the high dollar production knives can cost more than a hand-made custom.

North Arm knives out of Canada has some decent looking stuff and a direction I probably would have went had I not gone through a forum knifemaker (glad I did as I like the idea of something unique).

The custom knifemaker's forum on BF convinced me to get something from a knifemaker here. I have a large santoku in the works using .11" AEB-L and pine cone scales. There have been a few very nice looking kitchen knives available and if you have something in mind many of the makers are willing to work on something for you. It seems like some of the high dollar production knives can cost more than a hand-made custom.

North Arm knives out of Canada has some decent looking stuff and a direction I probably would have went had I not gone through a forum knifemaker (glad I did as I like the idea of something unique).

That's cool you have a maker here going custom specs for you.

Why on earth would anyone go high-dollar-production-knife in the kitchen?! o_O

My blades from BF makers go sliiice and/or are useful. But when it comes to kitchen knives, my eyes are always perusing the makers' blades at the typical Japanese distributors (JCK, JKD, EE, CK, etc.).
Some of those makers--Takeshi Saji for instance--offer several different series accommodating wallets of all sizes.

i do customs and have done sets of knives in single and double bevel
for a set i woudl go with parer/scalpel 6 inch tall utility 7 inch nakiri 9 inch chef and 11-12 inch slicer (i make steak knives too ;) )

Back