Review Kizer Feist

They have a Shamwari now that comes with an Insingo like blade. I can slow roll my Shamwari open no problem.

Victorian Squid Victorian Squid Is that anodization on that Feist? I see you bought a few Shamwaris. Mine is suuuupppeeerr tight to take apart. I bought mine used and somehow the pivot was rusted shut. The pivot collar got scratches while trying to get the pivot apart, so it was sanded to the bare Ti. That is why I had to reanodize the pivot collar blue. (To match the standoff) I like he Gareth Bull Warlock too, it seems very similar to the Shamwari.

miso2 miso2 Check this out. I recently sold my Boker Exskelibur framelock to a good friend so I needed a new knife to replace it as my larger front flipper. I got this Katsu Titanium framelock to take over this role. Check it out, I cannot believe how cheap it is for what you get.

39486015254_5c7dc74c52_b.jpg

I have been eyeing on that Katsu knife since someone (either you or GG) posted a pic of it.
I think that person mentioned that the blade is a bit thick.
What is your take on it?
Thanks,

I have been eyeing on that Katsu knife since someone (either you or GG) posted a pic of it.
What is your take on it?
Thanks,

I bought it from GG. I haven’t gotten it yet from my friend in NY, which is where Gary sent it to, but that friend described the blade as quite thin, especially at the tip. Once I get it I will post pics and a little review of the blade thickness and will link you so that way you will get an alert.

From what my friend says it works great as a front flipper but it is a big knife with a blade is 3.8 inches long.

What is your take on it?
Thanks,

Btw Miso if you are interested in anodizing your Feist or any other Ti knife it couldn’t be any easier. Just follow the steps in this video. That’s exactly what I did and got amazing results. They tell you how to get the various colours as well.

Look at the beautiful blue this clip took. (It is hard to see in this photo but the backspacer is matching blue)
9htQ1Dd.jpg

Do you know or can read on the back what the active ingredients are in that rust remover?
I don't think I can get that particular chemical here in Japan.
Thanks!

Do you know or can read on the back what the active ingredients are in that rust remover?
I don't think I can get that particular chemical here in Japan.
Thanks!

Hydroflouric acid 1-2% the rest is water I believe.

Watch out it will patina then etch even stainless steel very quickly.

Wow! That is a strong stuff!
I don't think I can get here.....
I will try sodium fluoride and nitric acid to see if they are strong enough.

They have a Shamwari now that comes with an Insingo like blade. I can slow roll my Shamwari open no problem.

Victorian Squid Victorian Squid Is that anodization on that Feist? I see you bought a few Shamwaris. Mine is suuuupppeeerr tight to take apart. I bought mine used and somehow the pivot was rusted shut. The pivot collar got scratches while trying to get the pivot apart, so it was sanded to the bare Ti. That is why I had to reanodize the pivot collar blue. (To match the standoff) I like he Gareth Bull Warlock too, it seems very similar to the Shamwari.

I've seen what he calls the Cheka blade on the Shamwari, but it's more what I'd call a drop point.

Yes, that Feist has been anodized in that pattern.

Re your Shamwari, the hardware he uses is almost like what you'd find on a watch, super fine threads. So it wouldn't take much to be a real headache. I hope you solved the rust issue, it might be worth contacting Gazza for some new hardware.

Both of my 2 3" models had a bit of pivot slip, so I tried putting a bit of Vibra-Tite on the pivot thread. Bad move. The threads are so fine that I may as well have put epoxy on them. Luckily, you put the Vibra-Tite on first and let it dry before screwing back in, so a quick soak in turpentine got it off, and used just a teeny bit of blue Loctite instead. Since his knives aren't oil packed, I could see something happening if it was poorly handled during shipment. He puts them in cases and socks with Silica Gel now, he just started doing that the last 2 drops.

I've seen what he calls the Cheka blade on the Shamwari, but it's more what I'd call a drop point.

Re your Shamwari, the hardware he uses is almost like what you'd find on a watch, super fine threads. So it wouldn't take much to be a real headache. I hope you solved the rust issue, it might be worth contacting Gazza for some new hardware.

Both of my 2 3" models had a bit of pivot slip, so I tried putting a bit of Vibra-Tite on the pivot thread. Bad move. The threads are so fine that I may as well have put epoxy on them. Luckily, you put the Vibra-Tite on first and let it dry before screwing back in, so a quick soak in turpentine got it off, and used just a teeny bit of blue Loctite instead. Since his knives aren't oil packed, I could see something happening if it was poorly handled during shipment. He puts them in cases and socks with Silica Gel now, he just started doing that the last 2 drops.

Yeah I gotta get the new hardware. Especially the pivot. The male threads go so shallowly into the female I am worried if it backs out a tiny bit the pivot will fall right out the front.

I dropped the edge from 20 DPS to 17 DPS.
It seems to work better.

Feist_edge2.JPG

I took mine to my local sharpening pro. He uses Japanese waterstones and put an amazing edge on it. However he left an annoying unfinished part next to the choil which kind of pisses me off.

The knife actually slices pretty well with a good edge on it. It is just exactly the right size that I can get four fingers on it.

I had to remove a lot of metal from that part, presumably because the choil is not deep or wide enough.
Yeah, the size is really perfect as a small knife.

I had to remove a lot of metal from that part, presumably because the choil is not deep or wide enough.
Yeah, the size is really perfect as a small knife.

Here is a pic. See what I mean? The knife is an absolute laser but that unfinished bit on the end will be a pain to keep sharp now.

fyHjRlK.jpg

Wow. He removed a lot of metal.
Probably, he intentionally left that part untouched, otherwise it would have been like mine.

IMG_1012.JPG

I had bought my Shamwari used. Do you know if it is possible to get the newer hardware (especially the pivot) from Gareth Bull? Maybe if not for free maybe even if I have to pay?

I know he is not the most responsive person because i sent him an email about getting the stuck pivot apart and never got an answer. I am just asking if you have any knowledge about getting the new pivot on a knife I bought used.

I guess all I can do is flood him with emails until he responds I guess.

I had bought my Shamwari used. Do you know if it is possible to get the newer hardware (especially the pivot) from Gareth Bull? Maybe if not for free maybe even if I have to pay?

I know he is not the most responsive person because i sent him an email about getting the stuck pivot apart and never got an answer. I am just asking if you have any knowledge about getting the new pivot on a knife I bought used.

I guess all I can do is flood him with emails until he responds I guess.

Don't do email, DM him on instagram. Seriously, he's not the email type. You could also send a message to Jason. Just let them know your issue, be nice and you'll probably get a quick answer if they "allow" the message. They go into seclusion from time to time, since they just did a drop this is probably the best time to get them before they're under pressure for March 18.

Also be aware they might not answer you depending on what kind of weird messages they get, since on IG you have to "allow" a message from somebody you don't follow. If I had to "allow" 100 messages, I might just take a pass. I'm already halfway there with just 2-3 a week!

Unfortunately, you missed the window for them posting (they only do it once a month) but you might also try putting a message on their knife drop posting. They also have a FB page, but I'm not active on FB and couldn't tell you how active they are there either! Good luck!

Don't do email, DM him on instagram. Seriously, he's not the email type. You could also send a message to Jason. Just let them know your issue, be nice and you'll probably get a quick answer. They go into seclusion from time to time, since they just did a drop this is probably the best time to get them before they're under pressure for March 18. Also be aware they might not answer you depending on what kind of weird messages they get, since on IG you have to "allow" a message from somebody you don't follow. Unfortunately, you missed the window for them posting (they only do it once a month) but you might also try putting a message on their knife drop posting. They also have a FB page, but I'm not active on FB and couldn't tell you how active they are there either! Good luck!

Guess I have to download instagram. Hopefully he will ship to Canada.

Can’t let the younger kids I know find out I have instagram or it’s over. I’ll recieve all kinds of dumb rap videos (their careers are about to blow, that’s when I get paid back for the pizza money they owe e) and even dumber fight videos.

What is wrong with kids these days.

Since I still don't like the blade grind, I will have it reground by Josh at REK.
Will show the result when it is done.

This is coming, hopefully soon without a hitch.

Feist_reground_REK.JPG

Miso my frontflipping brother that looks amazing. I never found the feist’s blade to be particularly bad at slicing. Definitely not a great slicer but not bad.

It is such a sweet little knife though. Kizer really hit it with the fesit design. Too bad the issues it had when it first came out scared so many people off the design. I think it is an awesome little edc.

Back