Kizer Gemini Vs Velox 2

Guys,

I am scratching my head between the Gemini and the Velox 2. I like every aspects about both but kind of leaning more toward the Velox 2.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Guys,

I am scratching my head between the Gemini and the Velox 2. I like every aspects about both but kind of leaning more toward the Velox 2.

What are your thoughts?

Hi PK-

I have both and, while the share styling similarities, they are different animals.

Handle: The Gemini is noticeably smaller. It disappears better in the pocket, but sometimes I struggle to find the right grip. The Velox really melts into the hand, plus the hidden flipper lets you grip closer to the blade for great control.

Blade: Blade length is virtually the same. The Velox has a hint of recurve and is hollow ground from thicker stock. The Gemini is full flat ground and made from thinner stock. It's a better slicer (IMHO).

Flipping action: Here's where it gets fun. The Gemini snaps open. It's light and fast. Light switch the flipper and "POW" the blade is locked. The Velox has the smaller, hidden flipper. Combine that with a heavier detent and more weight in the blade and that thing explodes open. Push button the flipper and "KABOOM". I chuckled the first time it flew open.

Pocket clip: It's minor, but I thought I'd mention the differences in the clips. The clip on the Gemini is shorter, with more abrupt bends. The Velox's clip is more gently curved. I feel it more closely follows the style of the handle.

I hope that helped. If you're leaning toward the Velox, mine will be coming up for sale shortly ;)

Hi PK-

I have both and, while the share styling similarities, they are different animals.

Handle: The Gemini is noticeably smaller. It disappears better in the pocket, but sometimes I struggle to find the right grip. The Velox really melts into the hand, plus the hidden flipper lets you grip closer to the blade for great control.

Blade: Blade length is virtually the same. The Velox has a hint of recurve and is hollow ground from thicker stock. The Gemini is full flat ground and made from thinner stock. It's a better slicer (IMHO).

Flipping action: Here's where it gets fun. The Gemini snaps open. It's light and fast. Light switch the flipper and "POW" the blade is locked. The Velox has the smaller, hidden flipper. Combine that with a heavier detent and more weight in the blade and that thing explodes open. Push button the flipper and "KABOOM". I chuckled the first time it flew open.

Pocket clip: It's minor, but I thought I'd mention the differences in the clips. The clip on the Gemini is shorter, with more abrupt bends. The Velox's clip is more gently curved. I feel it more closely follows the style of the handle.

I hope that helped. If you're leaning toward the Velox, mine will be coming up for sale shortly ;)

Thanks a lot, the comparisons that you have made is very helpful in helping me decide which one to purchase. After reading what you wrote, I am very convinced that the Velox 2 will be my choice. Please let me know when yours is available for sale. I never seem to be able to get my hands on the folder being sold in the individual sale forum.

Please let me know. Thanks

I agree completely with SharpDressedKnives regarding the differences between these two knives.
I own both and they are indeed different animals. The observations are spot on!
For me the Velox wins the pocket-time battle as it feels substantially "more knife" in the hand. But I have to admit that the Gemini is the better slicer...

I have both and won't even bother writing up an in depth comparison because SharpDressedKnives nailed everything I would have said.

Let me stress his comment that they are different animals. I made the mistake of discounting the Velox 2 due to the similarity in finish to the Gemini, but the knives feel completely different in hand. I have medium sized hands and if they were any larger, the Gemini might feel too small in hand. The Velox has a better grip area.

One comment about the Velox 2 flipping action; for me there's only one effective way to open the knife. It requires a specific "push button" style action to deploy effectively. The Gemini can be flipped in your sleep; push button, light switch...whatever, it just flies quickly out.

Don't be afraid to end up with both, as they are such different knives in applied use. Now the dilemma is which one to send out for pimping so they don't both LOOK the same :cool:.

Don't be afraid to end up with both, as they are such different knives in applied use. Now the dilemma is which one to send out for pimping so they don't both LOOK the same :cool:.

P1060970.JPG

:D

Thanks a lot, the comparisons that you have made is very helpful in helping me decide which one to purchase. After reading what you wrote, I am very convinced that the Velox 2 will be my choice. Please let me know when yours is available for sale. I never seem to be able to get my hands on the folder being sold in the individual sale forum.

Please let me know. Thanks

I wasn't able to PM you. PM me or email at brian (at) tangibleassetsgroup (dot) com.

Back