Kizer new product alert ! KI4448-Assist-Justin Gingrich

Last edited:
I think the 4416 and 3416 GTi knives were a Gingrich design also...

Nice work, Kizer. I'm curious to see how you execute Assisted Open.

Congrats, Kizer!

Your latest offerings are fresh, innovative and exciting.

P.S. Please, please a sub 3 inch blade!

I think the 4416 and 3416 GTi knives were a Gingrich design also...

Nice work, Kizer. I'm curious to see how you execute Assisted Open.
That is so cool. I've been a fan of Justin's work since before he hooked up with Ontario. I'll tell you, if I were a knife designer of some renown looking to branch into production pieces, I'd be beating a path to Kizer's door. Obviously it's wide open to the right people.

Nice to see a new one with a more reasonable blade length, I'll be checking this out.

Edit, I need to read things all the way through before I post...

Too bad this is assisted. Any chance there will be a non-assisted option for this or a similar model? I'm not a fan of assisted opening blades.

Hi, vmmvmmm:

I'll definitely bring this topic of a manual variation up with Justin. We love trying new things in our line up, and this model was our first attempt at an assisted model. If you are a fan of Justin's design but are looking for a non-assisted knife, we have the "Hunter" series from Justin (Ki3416 and Ki4416) with a tough g-10 handle and S35VN blade that's ready for any task.

Kizer.

Just placed my order for one, the only thing I'm worried about is whether or not there's a stainless steel insert for the Ti frame lock

Irrelevant.

The root of my concern is not about what kind of lock it is, it's whether there is a stainless steel insert.

Stainless steel liner locks don't have or need stainless steel lock bar inserts since the contact points are steel on steel.

Not according to the product video here

So, it's a titanium liner lock? If so, there's only one folder (CKF Gratch) I know of that has a steel lock bar insert on the titanium liner lock. The rest have either hardened the titanium or not. The ones that don't have sticky locks like Emerson. The hardened ones are much better like Fantoni HB series, Spyderco Air, etc.

So, it's a titanium liner lock?

Yes. Hence my first post in this thread (and on this forum)

I'm not asking your experience with other knives. I'm asking about this specific knife, and a specific question about the knife. The knife arrives next week so either way my question will get answered. Whether or not I will keep the knife after the fact is to be seen.

Hi, Unorthodox:

The lock on the Assist does not have an insert.

Thank you.

Kizer.

Liner lock is not the same as frame lock. Of course, the material used for the liner makes a difference. As far as I know, with the exception of one folder, titanium liner locks do not have lock bar inserts. Therefore, lock stickiness and wear is a function of treatment of the lock interface and varies with each manufacturer and even model.

Kizer carbidizes (thin layer of tungsten carbide) all their titanium lock faces! So wear and lock-stick are much reduced.

Back