Kizer Splinter - Initial Impressions

I'm not sure why this knife isn't getting the press it deserves. I haven't been able to get it out of my pocket since it arrived. I'd definitely put it in the same league as the Urban Trapper and the ZT 0450 with possibly more style than either one due to its beautifully carved handle. Maybe what we need here are a few pics:

3457a1.jpg

3457a2.jpg

3457a1-2.jpg

3457a1-3.jpg

Are you catching my drift here, lightweight folder aficionados? If you're not, you should be.

Last edited:
I think this one is next on my list. I just received both a KI401B1 and KI3404A3 and I am super impressed! http://imgur.com/a/dQuDC

I think the splinter will be a little more office friendly

I think the splinter will be a little more office friendly
Yep. It's definitely that! And its melts inside my pocket too. Esthetically-pleasing, inexpensive, well-made, comfortable to use and carry . . . what's not to like about it?

Kizer is rapidly becoming one of my favorite manufacturers. :thumbup: :)

I'm not sure why this knife isn't getting the press it deserves. I haven't been able to get it out of my pocket since it arrived. I'd definitely put it in the same league as the Urban Trapper and the ZT 0450 with possibly more style than either one due to its beautifully carved handle. Maybe what we need here are a few pics:

3457a1.jpg

3457a2.jpg

3457a1-2.jpg

3457a1-3.jpg

Are you catching my drift here, lightweight folder aficionados? If you're not, you should be.
Agreed. The Splinter has largely displaced my urban trappers, largely because of better flipping action and a more solid lockup.

My Splinter has a lot of value at $119. Compared to my 3404A1 and 3404A3 it's much more refined including torx pivot, bearings and ambidextrous clip (tip up only). Also, the packaging is much nicer and includes a polishing cloth.

Flips very well with a nice medium-strong detent. Sharp and centered blade with no play. Very useful blade shape.

The best thing about the Splinter is that it has such an overall narrow width. It feels smaller than my 3404 flippers that have a 3" blade.

A few minor issues. As others have mentioned the part of the frame on the lock side where the lock bar meets the frame is a little too sharp. The clip is a little uncomfortable when closing. Would've preferred open pillar with standoffs only because three screws at the bottom takes away from the looks. Too many slogans on the minimal blade surface area.

Weighs 2.57 ounces. Blade length is 3.35" and blade thickness is 0.114".

Overall, a great little flipper!

My Splinter has a lot of value at $119. Compared to my 3404A1 and 3404A3 it's much more refined including torx pivot, bearings and ambidextrous clip (tip up only). Also, the packaging is much nicer and includes a polishing cloth.

Flips very well with a nice medium-strong detent. Sharp and centered blade with no play. Very useful blade shape.

The best thing about the Splinter is that it has such an overall narrow width. It feels smaller than my 3404 flippers that have a 3" blade.

A few minor issues. As others have mentioned the part of the frame on the lock side where the lock bar meets the frame is a little too sharp. The clip is a little uncomfortable when closing. Would've preferred open pillar with standoffs only because three screws at the bottom takes away from the looks. Too many slogans on the minimal blade surface area.

Weighs 2.57 ounces. Blade length is 3.35" and blade thickness is 0.114".

Overall, a great little flipper!
How would you say it holds up against other flippers in its class . . . particularly the ZT 0450?

Congrats, Ram, and thanks for the report.

Good for Kizer if its products are getting even better.

As always, I wish for some 3-inch flippers.

How would you say it holds up against other flippers in its class . . . particularly the ZT 0450?

I'll take pictures over the weekend with the ZT 0450 but they're almost identical in dimension and specs. 0450 definitely has a more comfortable handle (plus hold due to jimping) and the lock bar insert but it's also $40 more. I think most people would prefer the blade of the 0450 over the Splinter but not me.

Congrats, Ram, and thanks for the report.

Good for Kizer if its products are getting even better.

As always, I wish for some 3-inch flippers.

Thanks.

A distinct step up from the 3404 series. I too would've preferred a 3" or just under blade length.

Their upcoming Gemini has a lock bar insert and FFG but the blade is 3.1".

I'll take pictures over the weekend with the ZT 0450 but they're almost identical in dimension and specs. 0450 definitely has a more comfortable handle (plus hold due to jimping) and the lock bar insert but it's also $40 more. I think most people would prefer the blade of the 0450 over the Splinter but not me.
I like the looks of the Splinter more than I do the 0450. And for me, the Splinter's sculpted handle provides plenty of grip. But admittedly, I haven't handled an 0450 yet. So I really don't have a basis of comparison.

I look forward to seeing the pics. Thanks! :)

PS: Just to set the stage, here are the specs between the Splinter and the 0450:

KIZER KI3457A1 SPLINTER:

Overall Length: 7.75"
Blade Length: 3.37"
Blade Thickness: 0.120"
Blade Material: CPM-S35VN Powder Steel
Steel Type: Stainless
Opening Mechanism: Flipper
Pivot: Caged Ceramic Ball Bearing
Lock: Frame Lock
Closed Length: 4.18"
Handle Material: Titanium
Clip: Titanium
Weight: 2.60 oz.
Country of Manufacture: China
Current Street Price: $118.00

ZT 0450:

Overall Length: 7.40"
Blade Length: 3.25"
Blade Thickness: 0.121"
Blade Material: CPM-S35VN Powder Steel
Steel Type: Stainless
Opening Mechanism: Flipper
Pivot: KVT Ball Bearing
Lock: Frame Lock
Closed Length: 4.10"
Handle Material: Titanium
Weight: 2.90 oz.
Country of Manufacture: United States
Current Street Price: $160.00

Source: GP Knives

Last edited:
I've spent a couple of days with my Splinter.

I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. It got much smoother.

The flipper tab is low-profile which I like a lot but it needs a little jimping for better traction.

There are definitely hot spots on the knife's frame and clip. They could've done more with chamfering and dehorning. I have some scratches on my hand/fingers. On closing it definitely annoys my pinkie. I tried without a clip and the annoyance went away.

The ergos are off on the handle. The bottom of the frame is just too narrow and you can't get a solid grip.

The blade is great!

The ZT 0450 is much more comfortable in the hand. The overall ergos and jimping to 0450. As is, I'd carry 0450 more and worth the extra $40.

I'd like to see a 3" blade Kizer with the same overall dimensions of Splinter & 0450 but better ergos.

Thanks. Are you still planning to post the comparo pics with the 0450 this weekend?

By the way, I've been carrying my Splinter every day since I bought it. While it's not perfect, it's a lot of knife for what I paid for it. I'm enjoying it so far. I've even gotten pretty good at keeping my finger off the lockbar. It flips like a dream when I do. :)

The handle is OK for me. I don't have a problem getting a good grip on it. My only real complaint is the sharp lockbar cutout and even that's not a deal-breaker . . . at least it's not for me.

Last edited:
Thanks. Are you still planning to post the comparo pics with the 0450 this weekend?

Some Q&D comparison pictures with the last one with Splinter on top of 0450 showing you how similar the overall dimensions are.

Bnk5rLj.jpg

Z2dl030.jpg

z46yefL.jpg

89uMQIR.jpg

IAR24IO.jpg

Back