Kizer Zagung- quick review

CwsKhDU.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCGltHzG8hL/?taken-by=lemonlemonwatermelon

I found zero reviews on this knife and wanted to give my initial impressions as far as I am concerned I am the only one who has bought it :)

Packaging was very nice and the pouch the knife comes with is cool, I can seem multiple uses for it and its good quality.

Knife is pretty light weight for how thick the blade stock is and how large the blade shape is. I was attracted to this knife because I really wanted a RADknives butcher but they start at $1500 and the wait is insane. I figured this has similar styles and materials with the cool hole cut out and would curb my urge for that a RADknives knife. If your not familiar check them out of instagram.

Pros:
The handle has Chinese characters on it that aside from being a bit different aesthetic give that scale very good traction. The scales have very fine lines that don't get picked up in photos which also slightly aid in a better grip.

The ergonomics are nice and it fits my large hands well in multiple grips. Its also pretty thin when compared to how thick the blade stock is which I appreciate. It keep bulk in the pocket down by a lot.

Thumb stud deployment is great and it flys open. Huge plus+++ unlike most frame locks I own (zt). Pushing on the lock bar and opening the knife does not hinder its deployment much if any at all. You can still easily flick it open with a thumb or flipper.

Blade shape is fun and not what I would suggest to someone looking for their first or second knife. But as a collector its very cool and I think its worth having due to its pretty different style.

Clip: I like the clip, be better if it was deep carry but its different and a fun design.

Cons:

Frame and lock bar are sharp in hand. They are radiused and at first dont hurt but, after playing with the knife for a while I find it digs into the hangs. Flipping the knife open pushes the finger into the spine and unlock in the knife ends up putting a decent amount of pressure on a very thin peice of metal causing some discomfort.

Flipper: Its not the best flipper I own or the worst but I had expect more honestly. I would say it flips as well as a zt560 which IMO is a 5 out of 10 on the flipper scale. There is almost no detente and the knife can be flicked open by a quick wrist flick. I dont think it would open in your pocket but, detente should be stoner and it should vastly improve flipping.

Sharpness: Knife was not very sharp and couldn't shave hair with it which for a $188 knife I expect it to be very sharp. I can get a $25 knife that's razor sharp out of box, I see no excuse why this is not sharper.

Lock stick: This has no steel insert like many other Kizer models and I dont believe the end of the lock tab is hardened as I do get lock sick. Actually using the knife does cause minimal lock stick. Nothing drastic but kinda annoying. I cut a piece of cheese btw. Not like I was bearing down hard into some double layer cardboard or hard plastic which I would expect it to stick. But a piece of extra Sharpe cheddar should cause a lock to stick.

Lockup: Its decent but its also brand new. It doesn't have a sharp CLICK that most of my framelocks have. It almost feels the ends was slightly rounded giving a smoother feeling of lock up.

I may return the knife if the lock stick gets any worse. I understand its a Ti lock but, for $188 I expect it to work correctly as I can get most other knives in that price range to not have those issues.

Thanks for taking the time to review it. I stay away from framelocks, but I like the lines on this one so much I may give in. Let us know if the lock stick eases up with use.

Thanks for taking the time to review it. I stay away from framelocks, but I like the lines on this one so much I may give in. Let us know if the lock stick eases up with use.

I 100% hear every word you said. I try to stay away from Framelocks, dont like putting my finger under the blade and they fail pretty easy. But the knife just looks so sweet. I got it from knifecenter.com and they price match. Found it for $169 at knifeoutlet.com and asked knife center to price match which they did.

Update on the knife:

I called knifecenter and spoke to their resident knife guy. He said the sticking was not normal for the model and they asked me to return the knife. Having a hard time deciding if I want a refund or to be put on wait list for more to come in as they sold out of the knife the day they came in stock .

One more quick question, the handle appears greenish in your photo, but a more brass/gold in other product photos I've seen. I know titanium ano sometimes shows up oddly on digital media, so just wondering which it is?

I'd say keep it and let it break in a bit. One of the three Kizers I got in yesterday had some lock stick. I kept that one for myself and gave the other two to my kids. After only one day with a bit of flipping, the lock has only half the stick that it started with. So I'm confident that it'll work out very soon. Mostly because I really love this knife and it will be carried and worked quite a bit over the next week or so.

I have an HTM that had horrible lock stick. I mean to the point I needed to keep a flat head screwdriver or pocket pry tool handy to release it. At first I was really disappointed but I decided to keep it and see what came of it. After a couple of weeks, it was smooth as a baby's bottom. I'm not a guru, but I felt the lock stick came from slightly different angles in grind striations. So with a little work it may just smooth out.

nice review. love the blade but dont like the handles. if they change the handles i might get it

Thanks for the review and video, I love the blade but I've found that Kizer's detents for their flippers are too unreliable in the models without the lockbar insert.

Back