How To KME question

They are good stones and I'd have to say from me using the Shapton Glass and the Chosera's they are really good stones,a lot of the Japanese water stones tend to glaze or need the help of a diamond plate or Nagura stone to get a slurry going,I often use a diamond plate such as a KME Gold Series I kept for use on my Suehiro G8 stone and Sigma Power stones.I don't mind having to soak the Chosera's I just like to use a timer because if you do forget to take them out and forget for an hour or more then your stones and wallet just got screwed.

Some of their lower grit stones really remove metal fast,as far a the Shapton Glass stones removing metal faster I'd have to say they are both pretty close and have read some people prefer the Chosera's in certain lower grit's for speed,they are both aluminum oxide so I can't one having a major advantage other then the Chosera's tend to make more of a slurry.

The one problem I used to have when I first got into sharpening was I thought because everyone always said that the Shapton Glass were as hard as a rock in the higher grit's I always thought that meant they must sharpener faster then anything else because harder must better well I was wrong,I didn't understand sometimes a stones that release's abrasive constantly is also revealing fresh sharp abrasive witch I find the 6K 8K and 10 or 12K I forget witch I have do a very poor job at releasing abrasive and so then your always using dull abrasive unless refreshed.

Sounds kind of comical for a high quality stone.
Let me elaborate. My real Shapton Glass stones obviously work well with no soak and do not change or deteriorate in performance with extended use; hours of quickly rinsing and sharpening.
My Jenev wannabe Shapton Glass 120 stone starts out pretty good with a splash and go but soon, even while sharpening one knife if I have to reprofile it, starts to get softer and softer the more I rinse it and pretty soon I put it away rather than make it all concave. Garbage.

I've always thought Choseras were supposed to be great stones and I've heard good things here and in YouTubes by people I respect.

I've never tried one and from this thread I must say I'd rather not.
That and the price for them is rather comical considering I can get Shapton Glass stones for less which are capable of sharpening higher alloy blades than the Choseras .

When you say Goes without saying it was my first and only by them was the stone terrible or a problem with the company.

Oops; sorry I knew I should have looked that up.
Jende.
Here's an old photo when it was new. Goes without saying it was my first and only stone by them.
Heck I think I even got it through the ChefKnives to go people.
View attachment 1254899

Last edited:
I know I checked the angle after use the thickness compensator and I could never get really repeatable result's and sometime it would be off 4 tenths to half a degree off when I checked with my angle cube.

I do not see any provision for the cosine law in the KME angle compensator, and the post–arm angle does not appear to be close to perpendicular. It is therefore not surprising that there is significant discrepancy. (Reference my drawings in https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/edge-pro-collar.1702513/#post-19458796 for what I mean by post–arm angle.)

Basically the stone that acts as a gauge needs to be clamped at the same angle as the stone arm itself to produce a parallel offset, but that would require a redesign of the compensator and be easy to misapply.

Just wanted to give a quick update and thank everyone for the advice!

I sharpened another one today and seemed to get much better results. I used the stone thickness compensator between stone types and it definitely seemed to keep the angle more consistent than just using the angle cube.

I also used Arkansas stones in lieu of the Chosera stones. My progression went like this: 50, 100, 140, 300, 600, and 1500 diamond, translucent arkansas, black arkansas, then 4 micron strop.

The polished section stayed consistent from edge to shoulder throughout the process and I was left with a pretty darned polished edge. I could've probably spent more time and got an even better polish, but it reflects text well and is a good progression in my sharpening results.

Now I just have to decide what to do with these lopsided Choseras.....

Back