Review KME Sharpening System. A Review Years In The Making.

DISCLAIMER: I will always encourage free hand sharpening over any system and especially gadgets. Free hand sharpening offers the greatest freedom and versatility of any of the options and most people can do it. However, I absolutely acknowledge that systems have a very legitimate place. If buying a system gets you into sharpening, then rock on! And if that's all you ever want to use, great. I'd much rather see people sharpening their knives with a good system than nothing at all. I also believe, from personal experience, that a system can teach you a lot about sharpening.

That said, you should know that systems are not magic. There is still a learning curve. You need to learn the fundamentals of sharpening just like you would with any approach. You need to learn your knives, steels, stones, etc. What the system provides is repeatability, rigidity, and a sense of confidence.

SECTION ONE: Background and Overview:

I was a self-taught "sharpener" of many years but I was never happy with my edges. They were passable but I was not happy. Also, for reference I have vivid memories of the birth of the internet. We just didn't have a whisper of the breadth of information there is today. I was flustered, confused and wanted to do better.

And so I began the search for something to help me. There were not nearly as many options at the time that there is today but, conceptually, there was more or less a representation of most of what you can find today in some form or another. The three big ones were the Wicked Edge (fewer options), Edge Pro, and KME.

All the main, quality systems get the job done! It all comes down to personal preferences.

Why didn't I choose the Wicked Edge? It was large, heavy, not portable, had to buy two of everything, and very expensive for what you got. They've greatly expanded their product offerings and packages since then but at the time it just didn't make any sense for me. And still today, I personally wouldn't get a WE. It just wouldn't be the right fit for me.

Why didn't I choose the Edge Pro? Again, they've expanded their line but I didn't like that the unit had a propensity to bounce around, was more portable than the WE but still not great, and no clamp. I wanted a clamp.

Again, they are excellent systems, they just didn't fit my desires.

Why I chose the KME. Keep in mind, Ron had very few extras back when I bought my system and at that time, it came standard with the ceramic/Arkansas stone set and you had to buy diamonds separate. But I really liked the clamp, the overall design, the portability and ease of storage/setup, the versatility, the quality, and the owner was a great guy to talk to.

I can't remember how long ago it was exactly but I'd say seven or eight years. I have never regretted the decision and for folks of a similar mindset as me, I will always recommend it.

Ron has a ton of accessories and options available now so this is an incredibly versatile system.

All that said, it still does have it's shortcomings and like all things, this is a balance. I'll do my best to address my views of the pros and cons.

Last edited:
SECTION TWO: What is true and what is not?

1. Some say the KME can't sharpening full flat grinds and distal taper knives because you can't get them clamped tight enough. That's complete and total nonsense and utterly untrue. The overwhelming majority of my modern folders are Spyderco FFG's and I have ZERO issues. Ron has a video of how to clamp these kinds of knives but basically you just have to pinch the corner of the clamp that is on the point end really hard and then reef that tensioner down really hard. I mean hard. Oh, and make sure the knife is clean so there's no oils that will allow it to slip. This will take care of the vast majority of knives.

If this still doesn't work, a thin strip of hockey tape or some other "rough texture" tape will take care of it. You absolutely can sharpen FFG and distal taper.

2. But the grinds on some knives can't be clamped right? Yes, this is correct and will be for any clamped system. Knives with compound grinds, especially along the spine, may not present enough surface for the clamp to adequately hold the blade. I suggest buying knives that are compatible with your sharpening potential.

3. The KME only goes down to 17dps right? Yes and no. That's the lower end on the scale of the rod carrier but the actual angle at the knife edge will not be that. The width of the knife will change the real angle but for the overwhelming majority of knives I've sharpened I've never had a problem. I'll show a picture with a Spyderco Manix 2 later but I can easily get 15dps or lower on most knives.

4. The KME is fast/slow. Yes/yes and no/no. :) Again, systems are not magic. You aren't going to clamp your favorite knife and spit out an amazing edge in five minutes. But then again, if you're struggling to get an edge another way, the KME can feel like a deliverance.

The stones are smaller than other options that are out there today (and I know there's aftermarket stuff for the KME too) so they will cut slower than those options. Also, re-profiling, especially depending on the steel and grind, will take time. It just will.

Do not have false expectations here, especially when starting out.

5. Do I really have to spend that much to get sharp knives? That's up to you. People are often happy with all manner of sharpening. I, however, believe that the cheaper systems have so many limitations that they aren't worth it. My own philosophy is, if you're going to spend $100+ on knives, you should get serious about your sharpening gear early on.

Last edited:
SECTION THREE: My take.

Forgive the picture quality as this was unplanned and it was a cloudy nasty day.

I really like the portability and easy setup/take down of the KME. I found a Dell projector case and made some mods to it and that's where mine resides.

bGpKcrM.jpg

i4BuVLc.jpg

rcKKBkP.jpg

There used to be more stuff in there but most of it was free hand stuff and has been moved to other places.

Ron offers a lot of things these days so you if you find a nice case or box or whatever, it's cool to keep it all together. I've taken my kit to people's houses and can cover just about all of what I encounter. That goes for pocket to kitchen knives.

I never wanted to keep my system setup either so I like being able to break it down and put it away but still have everything organized.

I have the ceramic stones and the Arkansas stones, the 100, 300, 600 and 1500 diamond stones, two strops with 4um and 1.5um emulsions, and the pen jaws. This setup has served me extremely well.

I've also added aftermarket knobs to the rod carrier and stone holder:
5PzuXoG.jpg

I don't remember the thread sizes or what I grabbed. Dean O on YouTube did a video with the threads but I'm sure you can just call them and they'll tell you. I got these at Fastenall and they are an awesome upgrade. There's tons of options out there too.

Here' a full flat grind Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight clamped up:
MEoBsh8.jpg

Do not clamp any where other than the center of the blade. Align the clamp with the edge and not the spine.

Here is a shot of that knife with the rod carrier bottomed out, below the 17 degree setting. There is a definite gap:
qryoffs.jpg

The inclinometer on my phone when laid atop the back of the stone holder read:
LrYmY9s.jpg

I have zero regrets with this system. It taught me so much and really opened my eyes to that next level of sharpness I had been seeking. It provided me a great foundation to go back to free hand sharpening and reignite that journey.

As I said, I don't have a lot of the other stuff Ron has available now so I can't comment on that but what I do have, has served me beautifully.

You will screw up and grind on your jaws. Just know that and be conscious of it. I recommend marking them with a Sharpie when you start out.

I do like the pen jaws for smaller knives but they only get you so far.

As odd as I thought it was when I first found this system, Ron was always saying he preferred just holding the system without the base. I thought that was nuts. It is absolutely not nuts. The base has it's place for sure and there is no question I used the heck out of it but I also quite often found myself in my chair, chilled out and sharpening a blade. You do not need the base to get started!

As with any sharpening approach, you still need to understand sharpening fundamentals. I recommend getting the 100 grit diamond and using that and just a strop to get your edges to start. Don't worry about polishing and fancy pictures and all that. Figure out sharp and how the system gets you there and then worry about that stuff.

These days, my KME doesn't see a lot of use. Like I said, it's helped establish those fundamentals that brought me back into free hand sharpening. But I love knowing it is there. If I screw up an edge, I can always grab the KME and get things reset.

Last edited:
Here's kind of an update.

I just got my KME deluxe package a couple weeks ago. It came with a nice plastic case, though not big enough for a projector, as you mentioned. The foam was not really cut custom to fit the contents; I hope he'll figure that out.

It comes with all diamond stones now; I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't. It was one advantage over the Edge Pro Apex.

There's one review by YouTube user Apostle-something. He said he chose the Edge Pro Apex because it is kind of a hybrid between freehand sharpening and fixtured sharpening. That makes me wonder if you wouldn't have liked it better in the end.

Here's kind of an update.

I just got my KME deluxe package a couple weeks ago. It came with a nice plastic case, though not big enough for a projector, as you mentioned. The foam was not really cut custom to fit the contents; I hope he'll figure that out.

It comes with all diamond stones now; I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't. It was one advantage over the Edge Pro Apex.

There's one review by YouTube user Apostle-something. He said he chose the Edge Pro Apex because it is kind of a hybrid between freehand sharpening and fixtured sharpening. That makes me wonder if you wouldn't have liked it better in the end.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

First, I have zero time for that specific YouTuber.

Second, as I mentioned, I specifically wanted the characteristics of the KME, specifically the clamp. Also, as I said, I have no regrets with this system.

I've never tried a KME. But I love my WE130. Mine has an aluminum base so it isn't too heavy.

Back