1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KME vs. Lansky

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by BruceMack, Aug 31, 2018.

1. BruceMack

BruceMack

May 20, 2015
    I use a Lansky with medium and fine diamond stones to reprofile bevels to 15° or less, so subsequent edge maintenance can be done with the Sharpmaker. I can get this lower-than-17° angle with most blades (except the narrow Endura 4) by clamping them at the spine. The bevels from this setup are often asymmetrical and a little rough, but the edge is very sharp after diligent work on the Sharpmaker. As I am not wanting a mirror finish I can live with this but would like a better appearance and hopefully a better sharpening experience.
    Will the KME give me the better bevel appearance I'd like or is it, like the Lansky, subject to operator error? I understand I can get the lower angle by mounting the spherical rod holder upside down. Thanks.

2. PeterS84

PeterS84 Sharpening addict, collector of super steels Platinum Member

May 9, 2018
    I have owned and used both. I think the KME is a vastly superior system which accounts for the difference in price. KME bevels I've produced are extremely even, more so than I ever got using the Lansky.

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY likes this.
  3. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 14, 2017
    The KME is a more precise sharpener, the stones have a larger surface area and IMO are also higher quality. I agree with PeterS84 that the KME is a better system than the lansky.

Night Rider likes this.
  4. BruceMack

BruceMack

May 20, 2015
    Thanks to you both!

5. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    I agree also. I almost picked one up, still might.

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY likes this.
  6. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    KME for sure

7. BruceMack

BruceMack

May 20, 2015
    OK, I'm hooked. Buying one today.

8. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    If you haven't already, go on YouTube and find the videos by Dean O. He has some excellent stuff to include tips and customization.

The KME is a nice system.

9. BruceMack

BruceMack

May 20, 2015
    Thanks. Will do.

10. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    I'm running a Lanksy with diamond & ceramic stones w/ a homemade strop from an old Lansky stone. Works good enough for me. Might have $100 invested. I can achieve mirror polish edges, it just takes twice the time a KME would. I like sharpening & have the time so I took that $ saved & bought another knife. :cool:

KME = twice the price, but half the time. (average/ballpark figures) Other peeps on here can verify specific times & costs.

Also, I've seen KME dissected & frankin'd with an Edge Pro. Weird, but interesting. BTW, the Chinese clones are :poop:.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  11. BruceMack

BruceMack

May 20, 2015
    I bought the KME and received it yesterday with 4 gold (diamond) stones as well as the Beast, a 50 grit stone that feels like overkill for my reprofiling. Though I was slow in learning the Lansky, it does work fine for my purpose - a less than 15° bevel that will take and maintain a really good micro bevel from the Sharpmaker. I had some extra cash and opted to get the KME. On initial examination, I feel it is well-built and worth the money for the fun I expect to have with it.