KME vs. Lansky

I use a Lansky with medium and fine diamond stones to reprofile bevels to 15° or less, so subsequent edge maintenance can be done with the Sharpmaker. I can get this lower-than-17° angle with most blades (except the narrow Endura 4) by clamping them at the spine. The bevels from this setup are often asymmetrical and a little rough, but the edge is very sharp after diligent work on the Sharpmaker. As I am not wanting a mirror finish I can live with this but would like a better appearance and hopefully a better sharpening experience.
Will the KME give me the better bevel appearance I'd like or is it, like the Lansky, subject to operator error? I understand I can get the lower angle by mounting the spherical rod holder upside down. Thanks.

I have owned and used both. I think the KME is a vastly superior system which accounts for the difference in price. KME bevels I've produced are extremely even, more so than I ever got using the Lansky.

The KME is a more precise sharpener, the stones have a larger surface area and IMO are also higher quality. I agree with PeterS84 that the KME is a better system than the lansky.

I'm running a Lanksy with diamond & ceramic stones w/ a homemade strop from an old Lansky stone. Works good enough for me. Might have $100 invested. I can achieve mirror polish edges, it just takes twice the time a KME would. I like sharpening & have the time so I took that $ saved & bought another knife. :cool:

KME = twice the price, but half the time. (average/ballpark figures) Other peeps on here can verify specific times & costs.

Also, I've seen KME dissected & frankin'd with an Edge Pro. Weird, but interesting. BTW, the Chinese clones are :poop:.

Last edited:
I bought the KME and received it yesterday with 4 gold (diamond) stones as well as the Beast, a 50 grit stone that feels like overkill for my reprofiling. Though I was slow in learning the Lansky, it does work fine for my purpose - a less than 15° bevel that will take and maintain a really good micro bevel from the Sharpmaker. I had some extra cash and opted to get the KME. On initial examination, I feel it is well-built and worth the money for the fun I expect to have with it.

Back