KMG mod on the handle for extra leverage

I wish I had done this a few years ago. It is now extremely easy to pull down on lever and swap out the grinding belt with the increased leverage of the handle extension. I took a 12" piece of thick steel. I drilled and tapped a new screw hole for the handle. Then I drilled two holes at the bottom of the bar. I bolted the bar through one hole which acts as a pivot and then the other hole has a bolt near the end it that acts as a lever against the bottom of the KMG. It's now very easy to pull down the swing arm and swap out the belt. It took me about a half hour and most of that was finding my tap set. I know that Ed Caffery did this to his when he first got his KMG and now I wish I'd done it the minute I saw that.
orig.jpg

Yeah, I've been meaning to do that for a while now too.
Looks good, should be much easier to change belts now. I also want to put a different tracking knob on. Did you change yours or is that the one it came with?
Joe

fitzo

Gold Member
I could see one of those old Hurst finger-relief t-handle shifter grips on there, Tracy!:D

Thanks for bringing the idea back. Think I'm going to do that...:)

Looks like your gorilla welds on your accessory rack are holding up well...:D

J A Whalen said:
Yeah, I've been meaning to do that for a while now too.
Looks good, should be much easier to change belts now. I also want to put a different tracking knob on. Did you change yours or is that the one it came with?
Joe

Rob sent me a new knob some time ago. You can get them from the MSC catalog also.

Fitz, those welds look much worse in person than what you see in the picture. I was going to quick and dirty - I got it....:D

Gotta tell you guys, this is one of the best 20 minutes you will spend in your shop if you do this.

Bruce Bump said:
I would put a full tang with pre-ban ivory scales, maybe filework
Bruce:eek: :eek: :eek: I thing you should take a break on kinfemaking.:confused: :confused: Everything you look at you want to transpose it into a piece of art like the Matchlock you just made. HEHEHEHE!!!