Knee doing well - Hand surgery went well.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Two and a half weeks post-op :
Hitting 03-04° straight out and 95-98° bent so far. That is about what is expected for 6-7 weeks post-op.
I can walk up stairs with single steps ( one foot on one step, next foot on next step) just fine. Single stepping down still has a bit of difficulty, but I can do it. Single steps is where most folks should be at 6-8 weeks.
Yesterday, I did the 4" balance beam toe-to-toe forward and back three times without touching the rails.

Heading out to hook up the float and go pull it in the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Two and a half weeks post-op :
Hitting 03-04° straight out and 95-98° bent so far. That is about what is expected for 6-7 weeks post-op.
I can walk up stairs with single steps ( one foot on one step, next foot on next step) just fine. Single stepping down still has a bit of difficulty, but I can do it. Single steps is where most folks should be at 6-8 weeks.
Yesterday, I did the 4" balance beam toe-to-toe forward and back three times without touching the rails.

Heading out to hook up the float and go pull it in the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

The Orthopedic surgeons are really getting better and better. That plus your apparent good health / luck are a blessing.

So happy to hear that you are doing so well ~ Keep it up!

Eric

Good news to hear, Stacy; your active lifestyle and positive outlook on life goes a long way for making a full recovery for these types of operations. We got one shot at life, its best to make it a good one.

I can't agree with Bufford more. We get one go around in life. make the most of t and enjoy what you get. Dwelling on what you didn't get or such stupid things as despising others for their differences only lessens your time and enjoyment. If life gives you half a glass, enjoy it to the bottom.

If life gives you half a glass, enjoy it to the bottom.
Stacy that is a very good way to say it and couldn't be put into words better. Words of wisdom and encouragement worth passing on in our life long journey, as we all hit bumps in the road along the way.

4 weeks and the therapist and doctor are amazed.
I can pedal the exercise bike for 10 minutes easily, leg stensor 50# with the left leg only 20 times, do all the lifts,squats, balances, etc. with good results. Leg straightens to near 0 degrees, and bends past 115 degrees.

I still need to work on my "lifting" strength in the thigh. One exercise is to stand facing down the stairs with the right (good) foot on the floor and the left ( new knee) foot on a 6" step...with no hands on the rails. I then "lift" my body up, using only the left leg, to step backwards and put the right leg on the step. Then I step down with the right, using the left to support my weight while the right goes down. ....and repeat. It is not easy to walk backwards upstairs with good knees, and I still need a good bit of work to get my left leg up to full strength. I have no problem walking up the stairs forward, but that backward stepping is really tough.

Oh well, last week I couldn't rotate the pedals all the way around on the bicycle. Every week is an improvement.

I am looking forward to Harrisonburg show in 11 days and cruising around the rooms to see old friends.

Stacy- glad things are going so well with you. When is the first 5k marathon? :)

As the rule says - "Pictures or it didn't happen!"

Attachments

• Knees X-ray.jpg
    Knees X-ray.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 61
Nice hardware, good luck getting through the metal detector at the airport with those ;0)

Nice hardware, good luck getting through the metal detector at the airport with those ;0)

Nah, just wear the kilt and tell them they are welcome to look under if they want. I bet they just wave you through. ;)

Very glad you are healing well my friend. :thumbup:

Very glad to see this positive outcome, Stacy. I'm happy it all worked out for you (and Judy).

I will say I was amused at your long-ish post helping others to prepare for their own major surgery... ever the educator, eh Stacy? ;)

We are all blessed to have you around.

Well I completely missed this thread somehow and I'm embarrassed. I'm glad your recovery has gone so well. I'm told knees (and that the medical preference is to do both at once these days) are harder then hips but you make it sound pretty easy, almost mater of fact. Isn't growing older fun?.

After having my left hip done (replaced that is) last December and my own uneventful recovery I've now discovered, to my dismay, that I was "favoring"my left knee, which under x-rays looks shaky at best, so I may have this same surgery, that you had, in my future. The good news is I'm already into the therapy regimen and just "adjusted" it some and I've never smoked a cigarette in my life ............... This should be interesting going forward. Actual physical therapy with a therapist starts tomorrow. Fun stuff.

Corey

Good that everything healed up with no complications. The surgeon did a nice job with the installation, your knees should be better than new. Leave early for airline security, those metal detectors will be going off.

I had the nerve/muscle function tests two weeks ago, that was FUN!!! It was done by a mad acupuncturist with a stun gun on a day he had a big fight with her husband. ( just kidding) She started with using a small stun gun ( yep, that's right) on my arm to see what I would do when she zapped me about 50ntimes in different places. Then she kept saying, "OK, now try and relax your muscles, while she was running a long needle in and out through the hand and arm.

I saw the hand surgeon Monday. He said the ulnar nerve had to be moved at the elbow, and it had to be done soon. I asked about down time and he asked how much I wanted. I said, "One to three days.", He replied, "How about three to five.", and I said, "Done!" From what I have found checking around, this Dr. is the best in the area for hand and wrist surgery.

They called back Wednesday morning to say they would do the surgery next Wednesday at 8:30 AM.

I will go home a few hours later and spend the day resting. I can go back to work Thursday, but will have a splint on the forearm. I can do whatever tasks that will allow. Five days after surgery, I can rip the splint off and do whatever I feel comfortable doing. The numbness in the hand may last up to 8-9 months, but the mobility should return almost immediately.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Hi Stacy,

Good luck with the hand/elbow !

As an orthopedic surgeon myself, l'd recommend you avoid "vibration intense" activities for several weeks after the surgery - vibration is quite irritating to nerves in general and particularly post op.

Bill Flynn

No sweat!

Heal well :thumbup:

Bill

Back