Knife #26 - Another Scandi Bushcraft

This one is a spear point with micarta. This is the fourth bushcraft of this design and I have four more to make, to date, after this one (consecutively). The way I got into this design is Ron Medise (AKA Myakka) tweaked the Ray Mears Woodlore design a little by incorporating features he thought would enhance it, such as tapered tang and a heavier spine, and some other etc's.. Even for one such as myself who likes classic hunting knives of small to moderate size this design has grown on me and I think I would like having one for myself to use for general purpose hunting. By design it is very well balanced and feels like it belongs in the hand.

Anyhow here it is and thanks a bunch for looking. Specs can be seen here: http://riflestocks.tripod.com/pics23.html

bushcraft4_1.jpg

RL

Looking good Roger, the overal shape and handle design should make for a good field knife, I can see why it's popular.

Will,

Thank you pal. I hope you got my return email today concerning you know what.

The next three are to be of ironwood and then one of box elder burl. I am anxious to get into the ironwood. Heard so much about it and I have a piece of it here now that looks super. I understand it contains natural pestisides that can be extra bad to inhale(?).

RL

Roger, you gone and done it again! Really nice work! Like I have said before, you have that S30V down to a real science. I am anxious to see the next ones you do, too. Yes, sir!

Big John,

I can always depend on you for an up lift. Thanks for the adda boy. You the best of the best big guy.

RL

Roger you sure have that grind down! Is that bead blasted? Sure looks good with the Micarta.

Damn clean grind my friend!!! I too like med sized field knives. My problem is that if I go 8" to 9" overall....hell I may as well go 13" so I then leave the design @ around 10.5" :D

I am grinding out an 8.25" field knife now. What is the average overall size of some of your designs? Guess I could just take a look at your website huh? :D

I really like the bushcraft Roger, keep em coming... :D

That's a fine knife, Roger! Knowing you, it's also heat-treated to perfection! Well done! :D

That is very, very nice. The Scandi style has ended up with quite a following in the UK, although there is a tendency to spurn stainless (possibly as being "too easy" to maintain ;) ). What are you doing for a sheath for that?

Peter

That's a lovely knife Roger! Have you been sharpening these on a secondary edge bevel or does the primary bevel run all the way to the edge like traditional Scandi blades?

Thanks all.

Jammie Briggs specializes in bushcraft sheaths and he is my default sheath maker for these. Unless otherwise specified by the owner, the sheath includes a pouch for the firesteel. In cases where Jammie may be too back logged with other work I will ask Tess Neislon to help out.

There is no secondary bevel. The bevel goes all the way to the edge. It is beveled once on each side of blade.

The OAL has ranged from 4 5/8 to about 4 3/4 inches.

RL

That's another beauty Roger. I can't wait to see the ironwood. Keep 'em coming, you've got this style nailed to the wall.

Back