Knife abuse by friends and family members

I work with a guy that would ask for my knife and do ridiculous things with it that would make me cringe

(Score metal, pry, chisel etc)

Honestly I found it entertaining enough to buy him a knife just to see how it would hold up

Got him a 20cv bareknuckle, still going strong although I sharpen it every other week, I didn't think it would survive but it has..... and because of the he asks me what knife to buy next

And you let him treat your knife like that and kept letting him use and abuse it??:p No way on earth that I would put up with that - not even with my Steel Warrior!

Another person who may or may not live in my house may or may not be unwilling to replace the kitchen knives in their sheaths/slips after washing. Allegedly.

They're not high dollar items, but it's still painful to see all of the nicks, chips, and rolls in the edges from banging around in the drawer. Allegedly.

I'm 69 years old now and have yet to have anyone borrow and abuse a knife. Guess I've got a better class of friends and co workers or I'm just lucky. My wife appreciates a knife that is sharp and isn't hard on our kitchen cutlery which is not high end (mostly Chicago Cutlery that's about 20 years old) but is kept sharp and in a knife block. Always uses a cutting board. The one thing she does that's dangerous is put knives point up in the silverware basket in the dishwasher. Got me pretty good once so now I'm careful to always look before starting to put clean silverware away.

And you let him treat your knife like that and kept letting him use and abuse it??:p No way on earth that I would put up with that - not even with my Steel Warrior!
Only a few times lol some times nice to see what it will hold up too since I don't have the stomachacheto pull off some of that stuff

You guys realize all knives are disposable right? Eventually they all will wear out get broken chipped etc.

Not saying to use one in a negligent way, but trying to keep them looking brand new is ridiculous.
I received a beautiful brand new custom paring knife from a maker here. My wife promptly picked it up and used it to scrape a metal measuring cup to level its flour contents. That became a day long fight.

She simply could not understand my concern. Totally oblivious and resistant to learning why.
This was not worth fighting a whole day for.

Someday you may wish you had that day back.

My grandfather taught me at a young age that a man always has a knife with him. I agree. And I usually have at least 2. But not as loaners or “spares”.
Your GrandFather sounds a lot like my Grampa...
Strong believers in Rule 9...

Attachments

• rule-number-9-never-go-anywhere-without-a-knife-.jpg
    rule-number-9-never-go-anywhere-without-a-knife-.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 32
You guys realize all knives are disposable right? Eventually they all will wear out get broken chipped etc.

Not saying to use one in a negligent way, but trying to keep them looking brand new is ridiculous.

A good knife is not disposable. It will last for generations.

Even the best knife won’t last forever. It’s essentially disposable. If used daily and kept sharp. No knife will last more than 100 years. I doubt many knives would make 30 years.

I totally get what you are saying. I know it’s not 1 time use disposable, but it won’t last forever. It’s wearing out as you use it.

Last edited:

I thank you not for your unsolicited personal advice.

You are very welcome.

You are the one who chose to share your childish behavior on a public forum. You thought everyone here was like minded and would agree with you. You were wrong.

Even the best knife won’t last forever. It’s essentially disposable. If used daily and kept sharp. No knife will last more than 100 years. I doubt many knives would make 30 years.

I totally get what you are saying. I know it’s not 1 time use disposable, but it won’t last forever. It’s wearing out as you use it.
Total disagreement here. Many many knives have and will continue to last well over 100 years.

We will agree to disagree then. Many knives do indeed last longer than 100 years, but they aren’t used daily or they’d be worn out.

We will agree to disagree then. Many knives do indeed last longer than 100 years, but they aren’t used daily or they’d be worn out.
You're talking about sharpening the edge so often it's gone. That happens with commercial knives. On the other hand, I've got a CRK s35VN inkosi that in five years of carry and normal use has seen a stone exactly one time. It gets stropped and it stays a razor. I'd give it an easy 200 years with similar use and sharpening.

I probably should have lent out my wife long ago, but I had this thing about duty, honor and vows. It was kind of a Gracie Allen thing at the start. She had charms that far outweighed her intellectual shortcomings. Unfortunately, age hasn't been kind to her mental acuity and teaching her about knife care discipline has been hopeless. I freely restore and sharpen knives of friends and relatives and I preach to them about how to care for their knives to retain their edges. Principle among these is to keep the edges from contacting anything harder than a carrot. Unfortunately, those lessons are lost on wifey and every evening I have to slyly retrieve my best kitchen knives from the pile of flatware and other utensils waiting for a proper washing. Thankfully, she's learned to return the knives once cleaned to the proper storage slot in the knife drawer or to the cardboard protector sleeve provided for it. It's in between that they suffer the damage. Hopeless is as hopeless does.
Let’s be fair. She still thinks your knives cost what you told her they did. :)

Also, the same can be said of most people with respect to knives and other tools. If you dont Know how to use it then you are likely to damage it.

n2s

Is it considered knife abuse if no knives are harmed, yet are made to feel guilty? Say, if said knife takes a chunk off of one's finger? If so, my spouse has abused more than one of mine. We've since figured out the proper "level" of sharp for her knives, and she avoids using mine for the most part.

My biggest issue with loaned knives is getting them back at all. They usually do what they need to do and leave then leave/forget the knife there.

n2s

Back