Knife alternative

I hope this tip is not out of place. I have found that a magazine rolled very tight is almost as good as an iron bar in a self-defense situation. No one thinks much of a person carring a magazine and you can still have one on an airplane.

I agree - I learnt that many years ago from some street MA manual, and have tried bashing things with a rolled up paper / magazine. it's like a steel bar on soft objects:D in fact, one hard thrust (if it's at all possible) on the sensitive areas (like sternum, ribcage, armpits, adam's apple) could probably do serious damage.....

Use a couple of heavy duty rubber bands to wrap it with and it becomes a bit more convenient.

As for me, canes, flashlights, rawhide dog chews (I know--sounds weird, but try hefting them sometime), carpenters pencils, sturdy pens, etc. are a bit more functional.

The rolled up magazine idea is probably best reserved for those ultra low key areas where you are practically stripped of anything hard. Say, a prison.

But concerning "literary weaponry," I still think I'd prefer a nice, beefy, hardback BOOK! (The accompanying thick magazine would be to throw as a distraction.)

Karl

"Even this very book that you are holding now can be used as a weapon. Thrust the sharp edge of the cover into opponent's philtrum(where nose joins lip) as hard as possible, holding the book in both hands.
I had hoped for a deluxe edition iwth special steel edges to the cover ends, with a steel lining behind the title page to protect readers from revolver shots, the book being worn over the heart...but it was felt that the reading mater was heavy enough already."

Excerpt from Pat Butler's Self Defense Complete.

Brothers & Sisters of Minimalist Weaponry,
Ken Cox, justin et alia,

The idea is the availability of ad hoc weaponry. Various authors allude to the use of everything from tire irons to credit cards. (Ever wondered about the concept of "Wallet Cards"? See TACTICAL KNIVES magazine April 1991.)

Given an ordinary room there are several dozen weapons at hand. Implementation of each item is a matter of practice. Handgrip, striking motion, force applied are less consideration than the protection of your hands, (sans Karate, as it were).
Improvised weaponry gave rise to portable weaponry and so forth.

Chopsticks, pencil/pen, ruler, phone handset, tellie remote, hat pins, book spines, rolled newspapers/magazines, drinking glasses, display screen brush handles, icicles, all manner of doors, picture frames, CD cassette cases, shoe laces, dog leashes, car keys sprouted from a clenched fist...The list is unlimited!

Doing a search of various forums will provide some insight into such items and their intended use. Additionally many martial art forms may incorporate improvisational methods. (Where do think the Kubotan came from?)

Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

Goood one! Don't forget shoes, and even a shirt or coat is useful defence. against a knife. Feet are good for opening some distance between you and the baddie (running away). I'm a huge fan of the oldest projectile weapon, the thrown rock, a natural variant of the oldest club, the held rock.

Punch"--Of course! and kick! The body and mind are the primordial weapon, the rest are extensions of that weapon...

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

the 'better weapon' wins most of the time. it could be you're confident with your bare hands or even just a rolled-up umbrella. now, what if you're up against an expert knife fighter who has no qualms about cutting up an unarmed man? what about a shooter who won't have second thoughts of blowing you away from 30 feet? so fighting is largely situational and if you're now armed or positioned right, all discussions on fighting will be moot.

...Excellent point, Hank. Thus combative training, situational training, and sparring in different conditions is a must for preparedness. Boy scout motto "Be Prepared.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

I used to have a hardwood dowl sharpened like a pencil, with the tip made to look like lead with a felt pen, and the erasor from a real pencil pushed on it. It was really strong (would work well for multiple stabs). But a real pencil, or pen are great in a pinch as well. Reagan

Back