Knife Arts

What knife arts do you train or practice?

Why?

Is the art you train congruent with the knife you carry?

What are your primary reasons for knife training? Secondary?

Have you trained in one knife art, then gone to another? If so, why?

How has knife training affected your life overall?

Quote: How has knife training affected your life overall?
I'm MUCH more aware of my surroundings now. My reactions are sharper & I'm broke. ;)

The more 'REAL' training I get, the more inclined I am to run.

As far as my blade training goes, it is mostly what I'd glean from my Eskrima work. I did do some blade training that mostly centers around stripping the knife, but I don't consider that a "primary" knife fighting technique.

I do want to get Keating's drop point video, because I carry a 4" fixed blade that would easily lend itself to that system. I also want Vunak's video because it will blend very well with my other training, since my other training comes from the Vunak line! Makes sense. I am also very interested in Janich's 2 folder fighting tapes. I have his book and LOVE it. From what I know, he's got the most developed stuff out on tape on specific folder usage.

I am also eager to get into soem tomahawk training to compliment my eskrima work.

I study Sayoc Kali. I've always tried to find the best instruction/teacher that I can find in my area. After much research and patience I was able to hook up with a great teacher. I also have an opportunity to begin training with the Presas family of Modern Arnis. I do look forward to that. I also try to catch the traveling seminars of the other knife master, (Kelly Worden, James Keating et al) I find that studying with these teachers offers me the best chance to learn about the combative arts.

As for knife congruency, I'm not sure that it makes much differnce with the styles that I am studying. I belive that the knife arts really are about training the fighter to use knives (or what ever weapon is available) not making knife fighters. To me the knife is a tool, I am the weapon. This is not to say that I don't prefer certain knives. I do and I am sure that my preference has been influenced by the styles I study. After a while of study and training I've become more critcal of the blades I buy, what and how I carry them. I feel that congruency of knife carry has more to do with basic chacteristics like general blade shape, grip, speed of deployment, lock strength, balance and carry method.

I've studied MA for most of my adult life. My primary reason for taining knife at this point is that it's the first time that I've felt truly ready to incorporate weapons into my practice. Most of the arts that I've done focused on empty hands. Knife training was a logical progression for me. Now that I study it I find that my body really enjoys the movement and the challanges that go along with knife work. A secondary reason for knife training is to understand the dynamics of an edged weapon attack. As already mentioned, the more I learn about knife arts the less I want to get into an altercation involving knives.

Knife training has effected my life in many positive ways. I have a whole new group of friends. It has deepened my understanding of Martial Arts in general and it has given me a lot of fun and enjoyment.

S.

I do Bakbakan Kali Ilustrisimo and WW2-era Applegate/Fairbairn Close Combatives. :)

~bayani~

I have trained in what is essentially Kali, but filtered through a more eclectic practitioner who has studied many, many fighting arts, and is knowledgeable about the law as well. I was unbelievably blessed to receive several months of private instruction with one of the best (knife)combatives teachers in the business. So what I learned was based in Kali, but I am sure included aspects of other arts as well. It was oriented not toward "knife fighting" per se, but rather civilian-oriented self-defense to include environmental awareness, empty hand, knife, stick, and handgun (to include study of knife vs knife encounters). Since then, I've continued with solo/dummy practice studying books and videos, then on to ground fighting with another instructor. I had previously spent several years studying both fencing, and a southern Kung Fu style, which gave me a good base the classical theories of blade(rapier, essentially)-work, and in stand-up empty-hand fighting. But the weapon-oriented training stripped away the "art" and left the "martial" (to me, the important part).
Bravo to Crayola and others who said, "the more I learn about knife combatives, the more I want to run." That is the biggest way knife/weapon training has affected my life. You simply don't know how skilled, aggressive, or armed the other guy(s) is. I've never been one to pick fights anyway, but after that training, I wouldn't in a million years. **** happens in a fight (esp. a "knife fight"), and there are many variables that you really aren't in control of. I learned that knives are incredibly deadly, especially if used aggressively and with conviction of attitude and action. I learned that taking the initiative with a focused, aggressive counterattack is as sure a way to survival as exists in a knife encounter.
Strike, break contact, and escape.
Gratitude and respect to those who have given me their time, knowledge, and skills in these powerful ways of survival.

Back