1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knife Assebmly Tools?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by muslmutt, Aug 8, 2018.

1. muslmutt

muslmutt

Dec 7, 2017
    So, now that I have gotten to the point in this hobby that I would like to be able to disassemble and assemble my knives for various reasons I am discovering I need some different tools. I do not have quality screwdrivers, hex tools, and star drivers that small. What is recommended?
    Thank you.

2. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    First, get a set of WIHA bits with a WIHA (or similar) driver. Tooth picks, cotton swabs and cloths. Lube oil, sharpening equipment (stones, Sharpmaker, or Lansky Turnbox) and that should be about it.

jll346, jux t and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  3. Yar

Yar

Jul 19, 2015
  4. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    jll346, lex2006 and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  5. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Wiha or bust. Some other good brands like wera though

Umm no. Don't get junk tools.

lex2006, WValtakis and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  6. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I will echo Wiha ... no place to cut corners and strip screws or bits ... they aren't overly expensive and will save you many headaches.

jll346, lex2006 and WValtakis like this.
  7. muslmutt

muslmutt

Dec 7, 2017
    I agree, stripped screws are not worth saving a couple bucks. Which tips will I need? Phillips, hex, torx?

8. wade7575

wade7575 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2013
    The type that you need depends on the knife and brand you own,for example Spyderco ad Benchmade use Torx and you find with Torx bit's don't buy anything but Wiha they are the best.

I own a few set's of the Wiha's in the link below and the reason to own more then 1 is simple because you may need to loosen a pivot screw on the knife and on a Spyerco that's not a problem because of the way they index the pivot on one side with a flat spot but on other brands they don't always do that.

Also the Wiha driver in the link has some of the smaller Torx bit's they do not always come with kit's or that can be harder to find,I have a few Benchmade's that have the smaller Torx's and I was glad I had these drivers.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-75985-H...UTF8&qid=1534142425&sr=8-3&keywords=wiha+torx

9. bgentry

bgentry

Aug 3, 2009
    For inexpensive, the Husky Torx set at Home Depot really is pretty decent. A lot of people here have it and recommend it. That's why I bought one. I'm talking about the small handle with 5 or 6 bits stored in the handle.

After buying some Wiha full sized Phillips and slotted screwdrivers, I just could NOT BELIEVE the difference in these screwdrivers compared to Craftsman screwdrivers I had been using for 20 years prior. The fit of the tool in the head of the screw is a night and day difference. With the correct flat head, the bit actually wedges into the slot with zero wiggle room. You have to "pop" it loose from the screw. It's really amazing.

So with that experience I bought a medium sized set of Wiha bits in slotted, phillps, torx, and hex. They are what I expected: High precision, very hard, awesome bits.

The Husky is just fine. But it's not a fine tool. The Wihas are fine tools. If you find the right set, they aren't that expensive. For tools nothing beats a great tool that makes you smile every time you use it. Wiha and Wera products have done this for me consistently.

Brian.

JJ_Colt45 and WValtakis like this.
  10. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Buy once, cry once. Just get a nice Wiha kit and be done with it. T5-T15 are the common sizes that I use quite frequently. I'm about to drop the coin on a Wiha Torx Plus kit. Maybe some smaller phillips heads for your Hinderers and such.

Mo2 and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  11. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    It's been quite a while back I was at a knife show and I went to Benchmade's booth and bought tool kit that they were selling. It was in a small blue plastic box with Benchmade's name on it and it was a set of mainly Torx drivers and the kit had two other tools in it too. I remember I only paid a bit over $20 for the kit but they seem like good quality tools for disassembling knives. I've used that BM kit for many years and on many brands of different popular knives. If there are other tools needed or anyone else sells a more complete tool kit for knives I would like to purchase one to go with this little Benchmade kit that I already have.

12. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I've had those and stripped them. Husky makes good tool boxes, not so much torx bits.

13. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Now I just got done looking at "WiHa's website and I must say that they have a super selection of a wide range of different tools. I've never owned any of their tools and I have no idea what quality they are. I'm wondering if Snap-On has a tool kit with small Torx and other tools you could use to take knives apart with. I've never went wrong buying Snap-On tools and I know a guy here where I live that drives a Snap-On Truck and he'll meet me anywhere.

Other than Snap-On are there any other USA made tools you can use for working on knives?

14. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Snap on isn't that good at all. They will likely strip out. Apex, Wiha, PBSwiss and Wera are generally recommended.

15. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Whoa!!! OH I beg to respectfully differ with you. I've bought Snap-On tools for years and I've had nothing but excellent quality with all the Snap-On tools I've accumulated over the years. Unless I'm not aware of something? Like have they gone to some 3rd World Hell Holes to get their tools now? If so I haven't heard anything about it. I have a good friend who is a great mechanic and that's the only brand of tool he will buy and he makes enough money that he could buy any tools on the market.

I've got one set of their Torx tools and they are excellent quality. And they back up their guarantees 100%.

OK you don't like Snap-on tools for whatever reason? OK which brands would you recommend I'm curious to know?

16. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Good tools in general. I don't like the handles on the ratchets for some reason. But there torx aren't the best.

For knives wiha Torx Align insert bits. The "align" bits work a bit better due to the different profile from the standard bits.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 12:43 AM
  17. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    They have went over se as for several things.The first thing I found made in China went back for a refund and discussion,snap on is way over priced especially when you drop serious coin and find out it says made in china,not for me