Knife Collection . . . Why ?

What drives folks to collect knives? I have many pocket knives and a ton of kitchen cutlery. I can't seem to get enough. However, I feel that I could not possibly use all of them at a level that they deserve. Why am I obsessed with knives?

Let me know your story and how you deal with this addiction. How does one settle on just a select few?

Why limit yourself to just a few? :confused: People collect stamps they will never use, coins they will never spend, boxed toys they will never play with, etc., the list is long. If you/we enjoy owning many variations of one of the most iconic tools in human history :cool: (which CAN be used if we choose) I don't see a problem, unless you are spending money you cannot afford. :( I own over 450 knives accumulated over many years and enjoy them even though I don't use most of them. Collecting is NOT necessarily an addiction. ;) Embrace it, enjoy it. :D

Because I use them every day Different knives for different tasks But I dont just buy them and put them in a case.I beat the shyt out of them.

I love knifes and it's funny how you can have 100 and like 3 more than the rest lol.

I do have a small collection compared to some but I do have more than I can use in a lifetime. I don’t get to crazy about collecting but there are knives I find I just need to have. So I get em. I keep running into reasons or tasks for having a particular knife to fit the need or purpose . And they keep making knives that fit a purpose better than the predecessors or the ones I have. Lol.

I don’t collect any certain patterns or colors or materials just the ones I think I can find a use for. And if I think they are worth the price to buy them.

I have knives stashed here and there around the house and garage, downstairs, in my work truck, in my pickup, camping bag, hunting bag, tackle box, tool box and probably some I’ve forgot about and won’t find until I dig everything out wherever that may be. Just never know when you’ll really need a knife.

I recently bought a few extra Buck 110 LTs to carry in the vehicles just in case I need a larger knife. They are inexpensive and they’re light weight and all weather so I don’t have to worry about rust or rot and if I do lose one I’m not out much money to buy another to replace it. But if I need a knife I’ll have one. As John Wayne said “ it’s better to have one and not need it than it is to need one and not have it”.... That reminds me, I’ve been looking for a knife like he used in Big Jake. The lever lock switch blade when he had the guy cut the rope they were fixing to hang the sheep herder with. I think it’s a Hubertus springer knife. I’d really like to have one! Lol.

Most all my knives are users and only a few I keep in the safe because they have sentimental value. To me they are tools to use and I just can’t stand seeing a knife setting on a display never to be used.

Select few?

best

mqqn

Relax. Enjoy the hobby where ever it leads for you. You only go around once in life. You don't have to use a knife to enjoy owning it.

When the interest subsides, sell some, give some away, or keep them. No big thing.

I have no intention of settling on a select few. I may use a select few regularly, but I have no problem owning more than I will ever use at this point. With time, I may sell some or get rid of some one way or another. The good stuff stays or will be sold (eventually) unless something happens to me and then I don't really care what happens to the knives.

Last edited:
I always thought it made more sense to collect tools than bottle caps or match books. Knives don’t take up a lot of room compared to cars or stuffed trophy animals. You can’t fidget with a pudding collection. Collecting musical instruments or bicycles facilitates wild parties or memorable trips. Did I tell you about my Scotch collection?

I have as friend that collects Corvettes... Between his garage and yard, he looks like a car lot...

I live a hectic life balancing my family, business, housework, side jobs, playing in a band, etc. etc. etc.

I’m sure many of us do.

Working with, sharpening, maintaining, reading about, modifying, learning, saving/shopping/purchasing, and engaging with the knife community is a welcome refuge and distraction from the bustle of life.

It’s a great hobby to be a part of. And like many hobbies, collecting may organically actualize.

I’ve been thinking of this a lot lately.

My collection is around 30 (excluding the crap) which is more than I could reasonably ever use.

There’s only a couple that I’d consider parting with, but it’s not worth the hassle, and potentially the remorse (mostly the hassle).

There’s also the fact that knowing I should dump a couple keeps me from adding on.

The day might come when my tastes are so specific that I’ll be content with just a few. That day isn’t today.

Back