Knife collection

When you first started collecting knives, did family and friends start looking at you funny, or treat you funny like you were going to turn into Charles Manson or something?

they think the money spent on them is crazy ! other then that i would say no ..

The reaction goes something like this: 'If U had mabey 10, then I can understand but when U already got 50 or more, why do U need another one?'

Yes, very odd looks. I just started collecting so I am still getting awkward questions from everybody.

And I don't tell them what kind of money I spend on them...

I started collecting back in 1967, when I was 8 yrs old. My mom bought my first knife, a beautiful stag bowie (a Monarch I believe), which I still have this day.

Growin' up in midwest in those days meant having a knife on you all the time.
I did........still do.

You don't owe anyone any explaination whatsoever for collecting knives. PC worries be damned. As long as you're not acting like a 17y/o with psych issues, or a crazed lunatic gunshow warrior, there is nobody to answer to. It's a sane and civil hobby, just like collecting anything else.

It's all in the collector's presentation of his/herself.......

I've always loved collecting useless junk, but when I started getting knives my mother got worried.

My friends haven't treated me any stranger than usual, some of them have their own swords and stuff.

When you first started collecting knives, did family and friends start looking at you funny, or treat you funny like you were going to turn into Charles Manson or something?

Nope. My Mom got me started in the first place.

yup they still tell me I have a knife obsession and that I cant use them all at once. The obsession, well lets put it this way I am possed by a knife buying demon I think. They will get over iteverybody has there hobby.

My family understands why. My wife and 9 year old son collect knives too..
My close friends also understand why I collect knives, and why I used to collect old Winchesters.

The reaction goes something like this: 'If U had mabey 10, then I can understand but when U already got 50 or more, why do U need another one?'

And I can only wear one pair of shoes at a time, yet I insist on having more than one pair.

But all that is irrelevant because my 'wants' have only a casual agreement with my 'needs'.

Greg

My wife has always been supportive of my collecting and has bought many of my knives in my collection as gifts to me. In my extended family, some are into it and others just don't understand and never thought of a knife as anything more than something to slice a tomato with.

Nope but when I started collecting knives, having a pocket knife on you was the norm rather than an aberration the way it is now.

People used to make small remarks or laugh a little at it until I pointed out to them how everyone they knew has a certain hobby that'll take their money. I don't understand how some women can easily spend $400+ on some make up and then come back and tell me how my $100 knife is so expensive. As long as I'm responsible with my money management, then buying anything within a certain budget should be okay for anyone. I would however understand if the person is literally wasting any savings that should probably be put aside for some sort of retirement plan, regardless of what they're buying. If I'm buying the next new Spydie instead of paying my rent and struggling from paycheck to paycheck, then someone should say something to me. But since I'm more disciplined than most of my friends, they don't say much anymore, cause I'll shut 'em up with my superior debating skills :D .

SMART wives (parents, relatives, etc) will ENCOURAGE it.

Otherwise we'd start lookin fer other wimmin (booze, dope, etc).

:D

Lot cheaper than hangin' out in bars..........

ok.......depends on your drink! :D

Whatta ya mean, when I started? They still look at me like that, and I've been accumulating knives for over forty years! :D :D

Back