Knife community in Tokyo, Japan

I have been planning a trip to Tokyo for quite some time now, but things always seemed to fall through. This time, I am going through with it. I will be going in December, because this is when my lady friend and I can both get time off from work. As a knife guy, I was wondering if there are any knife stores in Tokyo that I should see? Anything else knife related there that I should check out? I have a week and the lady friend is just along for the ride so I am picking all of the travel spots. Also, I am new to international travel, so if I do happen to buy a knife, would I have to mail it to myself? Anything I should keep in mind while I am in Tokyo? Thanks!

Japan has some of the world's strictest knife laws. Don't ever get caught carrying a knife on you.

And you don't have to mail a knife back. Wrap it up very securely and put it in your check in luggage.

Source: Friend's experience.

Thanks. I knew about the knife laws already and planned on leaving my blades at home. I haven't gone a day without carrying a knife in years, so it will take some getting used to. Not having to mail it back will be a help, thanks!

Tokyo is a great place if you're into kitchen knives. Kappabashi Douri alone has several big stores where you can get dizzy looking at all the blades.
Several famous makers are Tokyo based and have their head stores there too. There are also some museums if you are into Japanese swords. Real ones.
But if your interest is in what they call "outdoor knives" hunting/camping fixed/folders, there aren't many places. Those kind of knives are found in camping, hunting & fising
equipment stores. Here is one called Malugo. You can move the photo in the middle of the page to look at the inside of the store.

http://www.malugo.com/

You might want to check out the Japanese Water Stones while you're there also.

I love a visit to Tokyo. Try looking around in the Kappabashi area. Many stores that sell knives. I always have my knives shipped UPS or FedEx back to America. Easy, can usually be done right in the shop. I had a bad experience bring knives back in my luggage. Never again. Japan is STRICT.

Don't miss Kyoto or Sakai either : ) Sakai is the major kitchen knife producing region of Japan, and Kyoto has some great smiths and knife shops as well (Aritsugu on Nishiki Street is great, although I am partial to Kanetaka on Karasuma, since the smith there has taught me a lot). Kyoto is also one of the most beautiful cities in the world, although I suppose I'm biased since I live there. Another place to check out is Seki City in Gifu prefecture: it's a major pocket knife producing region, as well as having a very nice sword museum where you can see swordsmiths forging.

Back