Knife Design Interests

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I hope you don't mind me posting this JK Knives JK Knives , I'm really curious what people's fixed blade interests are in this group. I know John has a few really nice small fixed blade designs, both current and disco'ed, and a couple nice mid-size blades. Having seen a few of his specials go unanswered, I'm curious what folks look for, JK design or not since John will work up your designs as well so it seems we could take the best parts of anything you want and combine to something "perfect" for you and your intended use.

Part of this is in the interest of my education as I'm currently learning about business. Mostly I'm just interested to know what people interested in JK's are interested in.

Summary:
  • What do you like to see in a knife that you will use (various situations as you dictate)?
  • What do you like aesthetically?

Okay, for starters:

For EDC I like thin handles and blades as I think they pocket well. I don't need comfortable handles as pocketing it is 95% of what the knife does for me. 3" and under preferred. For hiking or a little companion knife, 3-3.5" and make that handle full-size to get some surface area.

For camping/bushcraft/wood processing, I like a 3mm (1/8") blade of a tough-ish but decent wearing steel in the 5" range. Kephart designs, I find uglier but so darn useful. I have an affinity towards clip points and straightbacks but I also seem to poke myself with them more when working in tight spaces.

For food, a little belly, mid-line tip like a spearpoint, and 4.5" inches. The Kephart design is nice for this, the Canadian belt knife is another design I like. My favorite currently is a Slovak design I picked up from the Knifemaker's exchange on BF.

For a "hard use" knife, like chopping and all up to it, I like 7-8", like a BK9 or ratweiller. I've not seen a Kephart/spearpoint blade I liked in this size and I may remedy that with John's help.

hiking
wDsVfenm.jpg

EDC (will change to hurley creek soon)
JQOWQ4hm.jpg

Camp, this kind of stuff
bP1uDWpm.jpg

urbeqgem.jpg

"all-purpose"/hard-use
7ToAzmGm.jpg

IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0284.JPG

The first pic I just posted in the pic thread, l like the size of the Bird and trout and my Stetched Worker since they are for small jobs and easy to carry. The Worker has more of a drop point and the BnT more of a straight back. In the second pic is my smaller EDC(?) Kephart and a drop point hunter (not a Kephart), I like the utility of this style of blade and I am a sucker for theses classic lines.

IMG_0296.JPG

Here is a pic of an older Kephart I got, just an overall jack of all trades kind of knife. Classic design and serviceable point and light in the hand that I will use around the camp site or just on the trail. Light enough and big enough for what you may encounter. The only other knife that could possibly be more useful or just plain handy is a Mora. Not trying to compare apples to oranges, just plain usefulness and how it handles.

I am a big fan of straight back, flat grind profile with a sharpening choil and some kind of finger guard for knives that touch game. For EDC, I really appreciate more of a drop or light clip point with some spine thickness in it. Something like a 3.5" blade and a 3.5" handle would be preferred.

Matt

I like historical patterns like the muks, keps, herters, Canadian belt and the new Dall Deweese. also Historical Fighters like Gerber MKII, Ek, kabar and Traditional bowies. but sometimes I just like things for nothing other than my gut reaction to it.

I like John's knives because they are utilitarian and nearly indestructible. When camping or if I were suddenly caught in the wild, I would definitely want one of John's knives. I would never be afraid that one of his knives would fail me in self defense or cutting branches for a shelter.
When it comes to aesthetics or "coolness" I'd like to see some unique designs. I'd love to see a long Kiridashi knife. Something like this: http://stone-wood.com/html/custom_kiridashi_knife_261.html

A simpler version would be super cool and still useful.

I like John's knives because they are utilitarian and nearly indestructible. When camping or if I were suddenly caught in the wild, I would definitely want one of John's knives. I would never be afraid that one of his knives would fail me in self defense or cutting branches for a shelter.
When it comes to aesthetics or "coolness" I'd like to see some unique designs. I'd love to see a long Kiridashi knife. Something like this: http://stone-wood.com/html/custom_kiridashi_knife_261.html

A simpler version would be super cool and still useful.
Looks like that point would break off just looking at it cross eyed!

I finally reached a point in my life that I accepted the fact that I don't need more knives. Deep inside I've known it for many years but refused to accept it. I still buy an occasional knife but not in the quantity I once did. The fact that my wife quit working to be a stay at home mother also makes a big difference to my spending.
I look at the specials and think "great deal" then reality sets in and I don't order. I have knives by many makers and still have more made by John than anyone else. I would say anyone who spends serious time using a knife outdoors would quickly understand JKs are made to be used. John's work is as good as it gets, his heat treat of O1 is excellent, the simple lines of his handles and blades scream to be used, and although it is seldom mentioned his pouch type leather sheaths are great!

I finally reached a point in my life that I accepted the fact that I don't need more knives. Deep inside I've known it for many years but refused to accept it. I still buy an occasional knife but not in the quantity I once did. The fact that my wife quit working to be a stay at home mother also makes a big difference to my spending.
I look at the specials and think "great deal" then reality sets in and I don't order. I have knives by many makers and still have more made by John than anyone else. I would say anyone who spends serious time using a knife outdoors would quickly understand JKs are made to be used. John's work is as good as it gets, his heat treat of O1 is excellent, the simple lines of his handles and blades scream to be used, and although it is seldom mentioned his pouch type leather sheaths are great!
My elegant kephart is in one of johns pouch sheaths. Its my favorite sheath.

John, That's why I requested a simpler version. The link was to show the idea but it's definitely a show only knife and not utilitarian or actually functional. I love the version you provided in a picture. It matches my idea of an ideal Kiridashi knife. A cross between a ninja attack weapon and a kitchen knife but very cool looking. My feeling is that people would want this for their knife collection because of its unique appearance while maintaining usefulleness.

What about a French trade kind of knife with a drop point and a ball end on the handle? I see a similar shaped one in a pic of heefageLA's collection above, second from bottom on the right side, is that a Mud Turtle?

Edit: should say left side of pic.

Last edited:
What a bout a French trade kind of knife with a drop pointand a ball end on the handle? I see a similar shaped one is a pic of heefageLA's collection above. second from bottom on the right side, is that a Mud Turtle?
Pocketmuk

What a bout a French trade kind of knife with a drop pointand a ball end on the handle? I see a similar shaped one is a pic of heefageLA's collection above. second from bottom on the right side, is that a Mud Turtle?

I have been thinking a French trade style knife from John would be a nice knife. I've been digging into some of the traditional fixed blade designs recently and that's one I don't have, but not sure if it's one I would use much either. Will have the Kephart and Canadian belt knife (coming soon) and I think the Hurley Creek is a fairly traditional style of bird and trout, or not too far from it at least (pretty broad genre). The blade on the straightbacked element hunter is pretty close to a puukko, but with a very different handle construction of course.

I think a Hudson bay, or my take on one, may be in my future.

I keep liking that field or modern bowie in Heefage's picture as well. There's a lot of cool stuff in that picture.

Back