Knife Failure Survey

Don't shoot me guys...When I was a kid, my dad had an old Kabar MK2 fighting knife. A Marine gave it to him when he first got to Vietnam. He told my dad that it saved his life more than once and figured it had more left in it. My dad carried that through two tours with the 5th group, and it saved his life as well.

I used to steal it and go running through the woods stabbing bad guys (trees) and generally saving the USA from Communism...until I broke the tip off. I couldn't sit for a week. Later I stole it again and lost it somewhere. About every two years Dad tells me about that old knife, just to rub it in. I still feel guilty and will for the rest of my life.
WOW !!! ' The C word eh ?
I remember that idiocy.
My old man had the same 'mentality':rolleyes:

i dont recall ever breaking a knife. i'm surrounded by tools at work and home. i wonder how many knives could be saved by taking a few seconds to grab the right tool for the job ? :confused:

I have had plenty of knives fail - but none break... if you know what I mean.

TF

Last edited:
Broke severla blades as child - largely through twisting inappropriately I expect.

As and adult - wore out the mechanism on a Kershaw Vapor to the level I threw it away. it was the first knife that I thought was " good". Shame I like the style of it.

I broke 2 different Buck 110 folders. The first I broke by throwing into the ground. I just snapped the tip right off. I know very stupid, but I was a 12 year old kid. The next broke while I was working on the farm. Someone asked to borrow my knife, and the next thing I know thew are beating on the spine with a hammer, trying to cut through something. This caused the locking mechanism to fail. I now know not to lend a knife to anyone, unless they know the proper way to use one.

I had a Cold Steel True Flight Thrower break into four pieces, when throwing it at a plywood target. The knife hit the target flat and just shattered.

I broke a few tips in my youth and a lock or two on flea market cheapies doing everything you shouldn't do with them.

Also broke two multi tools. First was a first gen Gerber that pinched the palm of my hand,:mad: it didn't survive the throw. Second was a Leatherman PST while straightening a nail, snapped part of the jaw right off.

Dougo83 and Dawsonbob, it was poly twine on roll bales of hay. Just cutting as fast as he could, then 1 piece of twine wouldn't cut, so he looked at his Buck knife and half the blade was gone. Happened to him twice.

Had a buddies Cold Steel true flight thrower break also,But just into

I was whittling on a stick with a Bark River mini-Canadian, and the edge rolled severely. And I mean severely, not like the Randall in this thread. It looked like a serrated edge.

fliped open my BM grip and it flew out of my hand and landed very hard tip down on a tile floor. it didnt break, just flattened it down about 3/16 but after a good 45 min on my lansky it was good as new if not better!

only close call ive ever had (knock on wood)

I just remembered, I had an Opinel #12's blade blow out on me once. After cutting some wood it looked like someone took a hatchet to the knife edge. All my other Opinels served me well.

Dougo83 and Dawsonbob, it was poly twine on roll bales of hay. Just cutting as fast as he could, then 1 piece of twine wouldn't cut, so he looked at his Buck knife and half the blade was gone. Happened to him twice.

That just seems weird. A defect could explain one, but not two IMO. I have never had a knife get so much as dulled by poly twine. Really odd.

...and please keep any references to my old man's "mentality" to yourself, Toucan.

Easy, killer. Take it to PM or report it, but don't derail...

Back