Knife for jungle - $20 or less

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would get a Mora. This is a lot of knife for the money, but do not expect great finish.
But if you must have a fixed blade a Byrd (Spyderco) Cara Cara will do nicely. I have often carried an Izula in my pocket. It will not rust, except for the edge, but that is easily prevented. You cannot destroy an Izula.

Does it have a pocket clip?

Well, you did ask if knives like machetes fold. They do.

Now, you are saying that the OP asked for a folder. He did, but he said that was not a deal breaker. In fact, the first thing you suggested was a fixed blade Mora.

All that aside, IF we are supposed to be limiting ourselves to folders, not all folders have pocket clips, if I recall.

So I don't see how having a pocket clip is a requirement.

Again you, of course, are free to believe you have made better suggestions, but, again, a machete is exactly what the title of this thread is about, and well within the requirements listed by the OP.

So I am really not following what the point your are trying to make is. Maybe you would be so kind to further expand? Thanks! :thumbsup:

Oh yes, quite common, see them used all the time. So about 1945 was the last time a folding machete was used and was used in a military application, thanks for the information. That blade doesn't look 18 in long either. Does it have a pocket clip? The OP should really pay attention to this, I think that's exactly what he was looking for.
Is there any particular reason for the unpleasantness in this response? You dismissed the idea of a folding machete, and another member helpfully responded. I myself was interested to read that nugget of information, this being a knife forum. I see no reason for your rude reply. This is General Knife Discussion, but you seem determined to turn it into Whine & Cheese.

Incolma (Gavilan/Aguila Corneta) produces hundreds of different machetes in Colombia, in all sizes.

I 'd like some of these in the smaller "knifelike" sizes. You never know when you're going to be attacked by a feral watermelon in the jungle, and a 4 inch Mora isn't going to cut it.

# 164 BARRIGÓN - a 12" or 14" would be handy. A sort of a bolo with a bit of tip.
#31A, 31B, 31C, 127, 152 or 23W in 10" or 12" or 14" (typical Latin pattern)
#284 in 14" - nice shape, similar to #164
#323 in 12", 14" or 16"
#26600 or 26620 in 10" or 12"

Here's one of Incolma's catalogs with just scissors and machetes (?). http://www.incolma.com/sites/default/files/2017-11/Catalogointernacional2017opt.pdf

There is probably enough information here for the OP to make an informed decision if he can separate out the chaff.
Too many reports coming from this thread- Sticking a fork in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back