Knife For Striking or Cutting

Was thinking that in certan instances a knife would better serve as a striking weapon. Or you may not be able to open the knife.
What folding knife under $100 would you recomend in this situation?

There are quite a few so-called "tactical knives" on the market. Many of these knives have handles large enough to extend below the hand, exposing the butt. Any of these are likely strong enough to use as an impact weapon if needed.

I often carry a Spyderco Police with the all steel frame. It has a large handle, and the all steel construction gives it a bit of heft. It would certainly get someone's attention if I had to hit them with it. It will also break auto glass if necessary. It's a bit more than $100, but there are lots of other choices.

Andy

Buck 110. Cheap & sturdy; the heavy brass bolsters make it a good choice for impact. And the traditional design says "tool" instead of "mall ninja".

The Sog Pentagon Elite II - can be found for about $100 on occasion.
Folded, you can smash the tar outta someone with it.
pic1.jpg

Bram Frank Lapu Lapu Corto is designed as a striking knife, there is also the Jim Wagner Reality-based knife. They both need some time to get used to unless you are already familiar with FMA/Silat concepts.

I carry a Spydie Yojimbo, but it'll cost more than $100.

mmm... practically any large framed knife would leave some frame/steel exposed for some strikes, but i like the heft of my CQC 15 for striking. I have a Spyderco Gunting which fits the bill nicely but she has been retired to safe queen status.

The Spyderco Paramilitary or Military would be a good choice as a good bit of the handle sticks out from a closed fist.

Spyderco Police model. The Stainless handle models are thin, strong and would put a serious dent in anything you hit. Latching your index finger around the hump really locks the knife in, resulting in very little back slide on impact.

I was going to mention the Gunting, unfortunately no longer in production but it was basically made exactly for this. Much controversy about the concept (i.e. if you wound up having to stab someone the fact that it had non or less-lethal striking points could come back to haunt you in court--i.e. why didn't you just smack him with the butt instead of stabbing him?

That Wagner reality-based looks like a mean mofo, anyone held/used on? How's the quality?

Back