Knife handling wisdom and advice

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by slyraven, Jan 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Crimson Cloud

Crimson Cloud Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2018
    "If it's not in your hand, it's back in your sheath / pocket".

This is one that I use to remind myself to not set a knife down with the idea that I will pick it right back up, which doesn't always happen as planned. No more leaving a knife out assuming I will continue working. I just sheath it or clip it back on my pocket, where I know it will be when I need it next.

2. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes, Sir, I heard that from a Spanish knife maker :thumbsup:
    Artesania Herrerros used to be a member here. His website is still available however.
    I've two of his navaja

[​IMG]IMG_20190525_32512 by D P, on Flickr

slyraven and Houlahound like this.
  3. Houlahound

Houlahound

Aug 2, 2017
    Using a knife as a fork is better left in the days of old.

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  4. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    ]

Beautiful knives ! And, yes, I've been (loosely) following Artesania Herrerros... He makes very beautiful knives.

[​IMG]

Pinemoon and Houlahound like this.
  5. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee

May 6, 2018
    Keep fingertips curled.

slyraven likes this.
  6. cnm123

cnm123 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    this^^^

7. cnm123

cnm123 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    and this +++++

slyraven likes this.
  8. Lodd

Lodd Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2015
    "Be gentle around the sheeple, lest you startle them."

(I just made that up).

Pinemoon, slyraven and Houlahound like this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Surprisingly this one came to me from my mom, of course not these exact words but still a surprisingly smart knife related lesson coming from someone who's not the brightest bulb on the strand sometimes :D

When I was a kid I had acquired a Schrade 34OT that my mom's boyfriend at the time suggested was too sharp and should be dulled some so I wouldn't cut myself, and my mom's reply was that a dull knife was more dangerous and a clean cut from a sharp knife would heal faster.

slyraven likes this.
  10. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    The BEST knife is the one you carry.

slyraven likes this.
  11. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    That is actually sound advice!

Pinemoon likes this.
  12. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    "Always juggle your knives near children and puppies."

"If god wanted you to keep your knife in a sheath he wouldn't have made your neighbor's cat."

"Always catch a falling knife. Your hands are magic and heal themselves. A cut lasts a week; a broken tip lasts forever."

Henry Beige and slyraven like this.
  13. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    This is why earlier this evening I realized my Leatherman is currently sitting above a ceiling tile sixty miles away.

Ace Rimmer and herisson like this.
  14. Crimson Cloud

Crimson Cloud Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Damn, man. I certainly couldn't hit the 'like' button, so I'll just say directly that I feel for your situation, and hope it's not a loss.

15. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I was sitting on a woodstump trying to carve something out of small branch I just chopped.
    The knife I was using was Recon Tanto. I just added some pressure and slid my blade, it suddenly went through the branch, and has caught edge of my pants next to my knee and gave my pants a cut.

I learned 2 things that day:
    1. Always pay attention on what's behind the thing you're trying to cut.
    2. Recon Tanto is a really poor choice for carving, or I just suck at carving that much (possibly both)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    slyraven likes this.
  16. sailfish

Jan 1, 2019
    It's a place I'll be back at sooner or later so I'm not too freaked out.

slyraven likes this.
  17. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    I hit like because I got a good laugh remembering all the tools and knives (sunglasses, too) I left on roofs, cabin tops, benches, treestumps... I rode back many miles sometimes to retrieve them and sometimes just accepted the loss. That made someone's lucky day, for sure. On the roof ? You can be rather assured it is still waiting for you.

sailfish likes this.
  18. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Never play card with a man named after a city, or a woman with a knife tattoo.

Treat every knife like it's loaded. Never point a knife at anything you don't want to kill.... wait.

slyraven likes this.
  19. sailfish

Jan 1, 2019
    Wouldn't be the first time I've done it. But I've been lucky that they're places I return to almost immediately after realizing they're gone. Fortunate enough too that I still haven't dropped anything down between the studs when working above ceilings yet. I'd never get that back.

20. sailfish

Jan 1, 2019
    I learned this lesson the day I accidentally cut into a brand new custom made heat exchanger with a sawzall. The cut was shallow enough and in a location that the day was still saved but that was probably a $2k part with a month-long wait time and another thousand bucks and a day with a crane to get another one up there. So I just consider myself lucky and gotten away with a lesson learned.

Smiling likes this.